The Good, the bad and the ugly - Rnd 1 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Do yourself a favour and listen to 5AA at the moment. They've crossed to 3AW and you should hear the Collingwood faithful. Gold!

Good
The win!
The composure of the kids - Petrenko holding it up when it wasn't advantage, Otten all day
Dangerfield being quietly effective
Myke Cook running the game out when other players were pretty much dead
Bernie Vince
The spirit of the guys defending Petrenko. After Anthony thought he'd look tough by picking on our smallest bloke, Otten first came in then Maric
wanted to start a war. Top stuff.
Craigy being rewarded for running with the kids
Tyson 'Benjamin Button' Edwards
Bad
Goalkicking - particularly early
Chris Knights' decision making
Someone's going to have to miss out to bring Thompson back
Our 2nd quarter
Our ruckwork in the middle
Ugly
The umpiring. Jesus, how long do we have to put up with shit like this. Awful.
Dwayne Russell calling every kid we've got as 'a Victorian who's returning home'.

Completely agree with the above.

There were isolated plays - Stevens going for a mark in defense when he should have spoiled, Dangerfield under no pressure in the final quarter kicking from directly in front, running in and missing - but the application and the game play, fantastic. Otten looks like he's been playing for a while, Petrenko, such energy at the ball, very very happy. Monday morning, i front up to my Collingwood-supporting boss.

lol at Maric, i swear he only plays footy so he can start fights. Wait sorry, he doesn't start fights, he just finishes them...

Far out that's a good feeling. Here goes.

Great

Petrenko, Otten, Dangerfield, Walker and Cook. *Humps*

Good

Our defensive efforts for the majority of the game and the newfound flexibility we're starting to develop.

Drago stepping in to give the big f*** off to John Anthony

van Berlo and Vince stepping up in the middle and showing great leadership in the absence of Thommo

Tyson 'First man to play AFL football to the age of 50' Edwards - just an out and out champion

Macca and Goody - Showing signs of being back to their old selves. Macca's movements in particular took me back to the good old days.

Watching a first gamer with the nouse to pull up stumps and say 'no ump there is no advantage' when the ump calls play on to a free kick. Just brilliant.

Watching a bloke with 2 games experience channel the spirit of the hound and drift across in the 2nd quarter to spoil Anthony when he had Rutten beaten cold. Looked like a 10 year veteran of the game today.

Richie Douglas showing everyone he's the perfect replacement for when Benjamin Button retires - does the team things and has bulked up considerably. Looked very comfortable out there today and that spoil made me bar up.

Stevens - Quiet second half but is surely established as one of the top 10 players at the club now. In my opinion is one of the most versatile talls in the league now. Just love him.

Hentschel - First game back congratulations mate

Bad

The lack of impact from our rucks - In particular K-Tip who appeared to genuinely struggle the whole game. Lets hope it's just a match fitness issue.

Chris Knights' disposal for the first 3 quarters - Has all the ball winning attributes of an elite footballer combined with the disposal at times of a leper. Needs to leave the Nick Gill Kicking Academy and start attending the Andrew Mcleod College of Sexy Excellence

Dwayne Russell - Nuff Nuff

Ugly

Jason Dunstall's Bonce - Age has ravaged your once youthful gorilla looks Chieftan.

Good:
Giving it the the pies all day in the outer ;)
Petrenko
Danger
Cook
Norm Goody and Edwards looking like their 25
The ability to fight back when under pressure
DOUGLAS!!!!!
Lots of others as well.

BAD:
The Pies supporters defenition of what is holding the ball
Midstrength Beer
Their 3rd quarter run and the noise their fans made

UGLY:
Nick Maxwell

Great game

Good
All the young guns - Petrenko Did so many good thing his defensive efforts were great!
Zoning - Crows zoning was great today everytime they had 30 seconds to set it up Collingwood strugled to move it, Well done to the boy and the coaches as they are seriously good at it
Stevens - played a great first half and my friend now has a major crush on him (hook in Stevo)
Walker - told my mate that he would be telling his kids he was at the game were Walker kicked is first goal
The crazy hot woods fan sitting infront of me

The Bad
Some stopage work, woods got probably 5 clearances by the ruckman hitting it out wide to a running flanker
Tippet - had a bad day out but im sure he will bounce back
Trent - played back most game so i didnt get to be at the game were he kicks his comeback goal

The Ugly
Kicking for goal

BAD:
The Pies supporters defenition of what is holding the ball

It was shocking, i get calling ball on anything with a slight chance but they would call it out when it was clearly no prior and then get pissed when it wasnt paid, it did provide some hilarity

Gee wow, that was a great game, although I'm not sure the body's loving the return of footy, blood pressure's probably gone through the roof and won't come back down till half way through the week. Thought I'd just give my thoughts on how the players went, bit of a case of all played well, but here goes:

Bock - Classic Nathan Bock, pretty much nullified Travis Cloke as well as picking up a lazy 22 possessions and a goal, great effort from Bock.

Cook - Couldn't ask a lot more from a kid on his debut, loved the pace and the marking, shame he missed the goal, but certainly a great effort, will be a player.

Dangerfield - Solid if unspectacular game from Patty, certainly did enough to retain his spot in the side, definitely a massive unit though, I can see where the Ricciuto comparisons are cmoing from, his legs are just massive.

Doughty - Average game from Doughty, did a couple of good things, but also some massive **** ups, eg leaving Medhurst alone in the goalsquare.

Douglas - Typical Douglas game really, mixing the really good with the really bad. His goal was a little special along with a few other things.

Edwards - An ageless performance from Tyson, still mixes it with the youngsters as well as anyone.

Goodwin - Solid game from Goody, provided a cool head when needed and generally disposed of the ball well.

Hentschel - Bit quiet, but gee it was great to see him back in the side, will be better for the run and probably just pleased to have made it back.

Knights - Bit of a frustrating game from Chris, does some good, but seems to have a poor awareness and decision making is just deplorable a lot of the time.

Mackay - Another who had a solid if unspectacular game, provided some great run, carry and delivery from the wing.

Maric - Good game from Maric, feel he needs to work on the direction of his hitouts, won the taps but weren't necessarily to advantage which hurt us with our centre breaks a lot. Definitely great to have his agression and hunger out on the field, couldn't wait to barge in and help out young Petrenko and I think was pretty close to hip and shouldering Cook out of the way when Maric was going for a bit of a run.

Mcleod - Vintage Mcleod, ran all over Collingwood, bit quiet in the 2nd quarter, but apart from that a great game. Havn't seen him run this much in a while, great to see and gee he loves playing at the MCG.

Otten - Looked like a seasoned veteran out there, seamlessly slotted into Basset's role as that 3rd or 4th tall defender. Showed his inexperience in a couple of places, but other than that very impressive performance, might put a bit of a show on for the NAB Rising Star this year.

Petrenko - Wow, just loved this kid's game, don't see why he couldn't get 22 games this year. His pace was just spectacular, that pick up where he got done holding the ball was Mcleod like, definitely on a winner here.

Porplyzia - Still looked a little rusty in parts, but started to settle as the game went on. Never any doubt about that last shot on goal, definitely good to have a player of his class back in the side.

Reilly - Another player who had a solid game, can't really say a lot else here.

Rutten - Great to have him back in the side, the rock of our defence.

Stevens - Good game from Stevens, the look of shock on his face when he missed an easy set shot on goal was comical, he couldn't believe it. Was dissapointed in his failed attempt at a chest mark in a contested situation, probably would have marked it, or at least spoilt if he had tried to take it in his hands, that wasn't good enough from a senior player. Other wise a good performance.

Tippet - Probably one he'd like to forget, had little impact on the game and very few of his disposals were effective, will need to offer more if he wants to keep his spot in the side.

van Berlo - Bit rusty, but worked himself into it nicely, was shocked by the 60 metre goal he kicked, thought he was no chance of nailing it and was going off at him for not moving it on quickly:eek: He quickly showed me for my lack of faith in his kicking ability.

Vince - Great game from Vince, really stepped up in the absence of Thompson. Looks like he'll be in for a big year and whilst he perhaps wasn't super dominant today, didn't look far from it, a real classy player and a potential match winner.

Walker - Bit quite I guess, but then first game, MCG in front of 50,000 screaming Collingwood supporters, will be better for the run. Loved his goal, first kick ever and he cooly slots a drop punt from a near impossible angle. If he'd kicked his second shot from the centre square, well, if any of you listen to the 12th man recordings, there's one where Bill Lawry absolutely loses it after a Merve Hughes hatrik, I think my reaction may have been similar.

Anyways, on the whole, a great team performance, was extremely pleased with the performance of our younger brigade, especially Otten and Petrenko. Our forward 50 entries still let us down a bit, too much pressure is on our forwards to compete in 1 on 2's, 3's and even 4's and definitely not enough leading, we're far too static. Great start to the season though, couldn't ask for anything more.

Just a note with Danger, he had 3 clearances and 6 contested possessions as well. Would be dissapointed for him not to be included in next weeks game. Certinaly had a positive effect on the game and his goal was great. His miss was slightly dissapointing but he was under pressure and didn't have the tank to put the after-burners on deep in the fourth.

Good: We Won!
Bad: I'm on night shift, had to sleep, and couldn't see the game.
Ugly: My TV is not working, so wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway :(

good: Petrenko, cook, walker, otten, douglas, bock even classier than last year

bad: Tippett spending so much time in the ruck, trent struggling, still rely on macca, goody and edwards when it gets close, still inefficient going forward with the long kick, game plan broke down towards the end, knights hasnt really stepped up, leaving their forward line so open and ours so crowded, why?

ugly: maxwell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO there were a heap of good things today and not too many negatives.

Forget criticising any of the individual players today as it was the first game of the year and there's always a bit of rust in some players first up.

Dealing with the bad first there were two main things for me.

One of these was the way we got smashed at the clearances at times, particularly at the centre bounces, It certainly needs a lot of work to get to where we would like it.

The other is how inneffectual we were for a period in the 3rd quarter when the Pies grabbed control. We looked gone. Fortunately we got a goal against the flow which seemed to re-vitalize us.

Now for the good.

You just have to love a team that nobody rated which managed to beat the AFL's favoured team on its own dung-hill in front of their 50,000 plus feral supporters with their combined total of fourteen teeth. :D (just kidding, Pies supporters)

More importantly we did this without Thommo and Johncock, but with 5 virtual newbies, all of whom rose to the occasion and showed why we are going to win the flag by 2011.

Hentschel resumed after his 2 year lay-off after horrific injuries and performed pretty well, particularly in the last quarter in defence when we really needed it.

Our veterans might have a few miles on the clock but played as well as they ever have. VB also showed, after no pre-season matches to his credit , just why he is going to be our next captain.

This is a team with character and irrespective of where we finish this year we are going to have one hell of a year watching our future stars develop. :thumbsu:

I should have mentioned the umpiring today, with my main criticism focussed on the ridiculous holding the ball decisions they paid against both sides.

The only way that most of the players penalized for this today could have got rid of the ball would be to swallow the bloody thing and excrete it out their backsides.

Those umpires are hijacking our game as the principle of the game is supposed to be to protect the player making the ball his objective, not rewarding the player sweating off just waiting to tackle the player hunting the ball as soon as he's got it. :thumbsdown:

The rules do say that the player taking the ball has to have "prior opportunity" to dispose of it before he can be penalized for not doing so.

White/green/red/yellow/orange maggots please note: These rules haven't changed, so tell that idiot of a failed footy coach who now coaches you to read his rule book, instead of inventing these ridiculous decisions which make the umpire the central figure instead of the players. :thumbsdown:

Great win. Character and hardness truly evident today. Take note all those earlier this year questioning our hardness. Douglas, Vince, Petrenko, even Cook all displayed the qualities this club is all about. Great stuff.

The bad? Some on here may wish to actually look at the role Knights played today before being too critical. Not his best game for sure, but played an effective role for the team, and contributed significantly to the outcome. How did you rate Dane Swan's game when compared to the final last year?

A win that was not really expected, and the debutants actually performed. A close win by less than a goal, after being down 3 goals in the third. two more aspects we were criticised for a year ago, not being able to win the close ones, or able to come from behind, put to rest for now.

Every reason to be optimistic, and I see no reason to waiver from my finals expectations for this side this year.

Spot on macca, two examples of the lack of consistency were very close to each other. The petrenko decision where he had no prior opportunity and then a few minutes later in the collingwood forward line, a player in clear possession of the ball with prior opportunity is allowed to keep possession while being tackled and has an almost eternity to get rid of it....

It isn't quite the umpires fault, you are correct, but the 'interpretations' that they are told to umpire to each week.

Great win. Character and hardness truly evident today. Take note all those earlier this year questioning our hardness. Douglas, Vince, Petrenko, even Cook all displayed the qualities this club is all about. Great stuff.

The bad? Some on here may wish to actually look at the role Knights played today before being too critical. Not his best game for sure, but played an effective role for the team, and contributed significantly to the outcome. How did you rate Dane Swan's game when compared to the final last year?

A win that was not really expected, and the debutants actually performed. A close win by less than a goal, after being down 3 goals in the third. two more aspects we were criticised for a year ago, not being able to win the close ones, or able to come from behind, put to rest for now.

Every reason to be optimistic, and I see no reason to waiver from my finals expectations for this side this year.

Well said and 100% correct.

One thing you'll learn about this board is that certain individuals always have to have a whipping boy (I'm lost in this respect since we delisted Matthew Smith :)).

Knights is the current target for many of them and it wouldn't matter how many good things he did, they just trot out the old cliches re his kicking, ignoring what others may or may not have done by comparison.

Sure it wasn't his best game, but you've summed it up well - there were also a heap of positives that have either been ignored or failed to be noticed. :thumbsu:

My parents have the game on tape and haven't watched it yet, don't even know the final score (they heard the half time score just to check if it had been a blow-out), so I'm going to go and rewatch the game with them and then I'll come back and give my analysis.

Because you watching it with them won't give the result away... :p

One thing I was really happy with is the ability of so many of our players, especially our mids, to comfortably clear 55m when having a shot at goal. I'd noticed it about them all individually previously, but I realised today how many guys we have that can do it. van Berlo, Knights and Douglas all kicked important long goals, Vince and Reilly can do it as well and of course Tails can hit them a mile (pity he shanked that second shot).

I think it's a massive weapon, with the way sides can fill up a 50m zone and concede marks on the edge of 50, to have guys who can pick up easy marks at 51 or 52 out, go back and have a shot and be able to make the distance comfortably.

Must admit to laughing hysterically at commentators constantly saying our players wouldn't make the distance, and then being shocked when they did.

The Good

- Winning (and beating a good side too)

- Breaking the Collywobbles/MCG hoodoo.

- The kids

- The oldies

- The fact that we controlled the game for the most part (That's very important)

- Showing tremendous character to bounce back (from what would've been a pretty gutting experience - to have controlled the game, missed opportunities and trailed by 3 goals)

- Big Ivan flying the flag.

The Bad

- Goalkicking. It's still bad, and could've cost us today. But not a day for complaining.

- Cook's disposal by foot. You have to love his effort, perseverance and bravery - but we've already got a number of sub-standard users of the football by foot (Knights in particular). Can we afford a player that's a worse user by foot than what we already have? That's not for me to decide, so we will see.

The Ugly

- Swan. You're a big tough man with that hideous ink. I don't know what he's got more of - really crappy tats or career uncontested possesions!

I'm also having a go at another category.

The Embarrassing

(and I hope I spelt that right, or the ironing would be delicious.)

381%7EBart-Simpson-Posters.jpg

- John Anthony. You big tough man. Anyone under 5'6 - look out! He might be lurking in your closet, waiting to bash you with a baseball bat while you sleep.

A big tough 7 goal practice match hero, trying to intimidate a 5 foot nothing debutant. Step aside ANZACs - This guy is tough!

GOOD: A great birthday present for me. :thumbsu: No one gave us a chance (myself included) but it's nice to be proven wrong sometimes.

How awesome was Petrenko! Just love the way he attacks the ball and loves to chase down his opponents. The player we have been missing for years.

Tex's goal. You just knew that he was going to kick it. I think he knew as well.

BAD: Goal kicking was still an issue, while Collingwood have dead eyes like Clarke and Anthony.

Reilly still continues to underwhelm (I know it's only Round 1) but Mackay is clearly miles ahead of him at the moment. Got pinged HTB at least twice and looks like a 35 year old running around out there. His injuries have ravaged his once pacy and agile frame. Averaging 16 possessions a game over 90 odd games is not good enough for an outside mid.

UGLY: Collingwood looked like they had been out celebrating last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good, the bad and the ugly - Rnd 1 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back