The Grog Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Doctor said:
<snip>

Fave Beer:

1. Old Speckled Hen

Quite enjoy this one. Also Bombardier is good too, and London pride.

As for lager, quite like Staropramen at the moment - or any Czech beer. Also I don't mind a VB when I'm homesick (never Fosters).

Fave wine; Anything Red - I'm not much of a connoisseur.

Fave Spirit: 1.Talisker Scotch Whisky - very mellow, recommend it for those who don't like spirits v. much.
2. Tobermory Scotch - after a while it starts to taste like chocolate ;)

Beer: Heineken (had a few yesterday - lovely summer's day)

Bubbles: Yellowglen "Pink"

Red: Queen Adelaide Merlot 2002 - the price is ridiculous and is fine for an 'everyday' wine

Spirits: Stopped in 1984 but it used to be vodka.

Also had a lot of fun with Tequila but believe this drink to be in a category all on its own.

Would give my right arm for a box of Delemare Reserve Pinot Noir 2001.
Was there last summer and picked up a (1) bottle.
Drank it a couple of weeks ago and it was unbelievably good.

Pretty hard to find tassie boutique wines here in Germany :(
And german wines suc.
The beers are Ok ,except for DAB which is crap. No one drinks that pish.

And french wine is too expensive.
Dont mind paying good money for a good wine but we have been bought up sooo lucky in australia where good wine is reseasonably priced. Here really it is an absolute luxury. Think like AU$50 for something equivelant to Koonunga Hill. (yes that bad)

Enjoy it while you can. And cellar what you cant enjoy for later.

Ohhh, I miss my aussie wines. Especially the pinots from mornington and yarra valley.

Beer: Coopers (the local drop), Boags, Belgian Ales (Leffe and Chimay), Little Creatures.

Wine: Shiraz - St Hallets Old Block (Best of the Barrossa)
- Wynn's Michael (Best of the Coonawarra)
- Dennis Shiraz (Bargain from Maclaren Vale)
For all the D'Arneberg shiraz drinkers try Kay Bros. Shriaz (Block 6 if you can find it) or Hugo Winery (Reserve is the best). Kay Bros are great - possibly best shiraz from Maclaren Vale. Hugh Hamilton is what I've been enjoying lately.

Spirits - Irish Whiskey. I love this stuff, but it so hard to find the good stuff here. Redbreast is the best. Green Spot. Bushmills 15 yo. Jamesons if I have too (it is pretty ordinary compared to the other stuff).

Dry Rot said:
What's the one with the worm? That's pretty whacky, particularely when you drink the worm.
Never partook of the worm - just did slammers (evil).

Pugsta said:
Also had a lot of fun with Tequila but believe this drink to be in a category all on its own.

Tequila is just alcohol. The confusion comes from it being distilled from the Mescal Cactus which a lot of people think mescaline is also derived fom but mescaline is derived from Peyote Cactus.

Absinthe is an alcoholic drink that is supposed to be narcotic in make up(it isnt though) and has an effect unlike most other alcoholic beverages. My wife had a couple of absinthes the other night and said the effect was very strange.

Laudanum has an amount of opium and alcohol but is not very common nowadays.

localyokel said:
Tequila is just alcohol. The confusion comes from it being distilled from the Mescal Cactus which a lot of people think mescaline is also derived fom but mescaline is derived from Peyote Cactus.

After seeing John Saffran's escapades with Peyote, I think I'll be steering well clear of that stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

localyokel said:

Absinthe is an alcoholic drink that is supposed to be narcotic in make up(it isnt though) and has an effect unlike most other alcoholic beverages. My wife had a couple of absinthes the other night and said the effect was very strange.

Laudanum has an amount of opium and alcohol but is not very common nowadays.
I put it in a category on its own, not from any scientific research or knowledge, but purely on the effects it's had on me (as compared to when I've over indulged on other types of booze). :)

Pugsta said:
I put it in a category on its own, not from any scientific research or knowledge, but purely on the effects it's had on me (as compared to when I've over indulged on other types of booze). :)

Actually the only reason I qouted you was because it actuall motivated me to do some quick google searches and clear up some misconceptions that had been in my head for years. I can remember being told that Tequila was technically a narcotic a long time ago but that seems to be confusion caused by the name of the Peyote cactus.

Having just read a bit about Absinthe I am now quite keen to try some. Anyone else here tryed it? Im looking at you Dry Rot

Beer: Carlton Draught for value. Little Creatures Pale Ale, Beez Neez and Mountain Goat all fine in the boutique beer category. I rate Coopers Pale Ale as well. For foreign beers you can never go past Coronas.

Wine: Don't drink much wine but if it's your sort of thing, i recommend a visit to the Naked Grape in QV. Great range of quality cheap cleanskins.

Spirits: Must say im a Bundy man. The OP Premix is quality. Jagermeister for shots. Really hits the spot and isnt harsh going down.

New: Tis definately the season to revisit the old Malibu coconut rum.

The Doctor said:
OK Folks this has nothing to do with football, but it's summer right? This thread has everything to do with grog.
??? i was told this was strictly a football forum by several people (including you & people who have posted in this thread).
Looks like one rule for some & another rule for others...

Sporty Spice said:
15 year old Glenfiddich? Sells for about $85-$90.

Would love to buy a bottle, but can't really justify paying that sort of money :(
yep think that's the one. Glenfiddich rings a bell. excellent drink.

dogcatcher said:
Now you have started. Coopers is pretty much entry level in the world of beer. I cant believe people own up to drinking Melbourne or even New :confused: The only Belgian beer mentioned thus far is Stella and even that is a Carlton Draught on tap beer in Belgium. If you want some real beers knock the scab off a Duval or Chimay. Most would probably start with the Chimay White and work up throught the other two (Red & Blue, getting darker and stronger). Hoegaarden is a wheat but they also have a higher octain model called Grand Crue which is a great starter. Many Australian lables have tried to emulate the success of these beers world wide. You may ask "Is this dude one of those f****** import/boutique beer ****s"? the answer is no. I have had a passion for beer since about 15 and have travelled the world pretty much along the lines of beer. I grew up drinking old, still where CUB t-shirts and knew there was more than Corona and Crown lager. I'm not 'beerist' as such but I dont like relying on my closest pub to make my drinking decisions for me. The Belgian Beer Cafe in Melbourne and Sydney is OK but is becoming a bit of a McDonalds venture like most Irish pubs. I usually get a slab of a Euro lager or Coopers and a few bottles of other beers and kick back. Other beers to look out for, and let me know if you need places to get them Melbourne or Sydney, are De Konninck an awsome beer form Antwerp, Lefe, Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruits (dark), Timmermans lambic range (very sour, some with fruit, but thats a whole new story) and Mouantain Goat- Good Aussie stuff. The tastes may be a little different at first but when you have one you know why its good.
Burp!
went to the Belgian Beer Cafe the other week. Good bears, had a couple of Hoegarddens and a Leffe of some description i think it was. Wasn't really paying all that much attention.

They are nice and all, but even without considering the price i still prefer the taste of a lot of Australian beers - including New and Carlton Draught. That may come down to being because it's what i'm used to, but i just genuinely prefer the colder, crisper taste.

For some reason pretty much the only beer i REALLY REALLY LOVE (and it's my favourite) which has a thicker taste than the standard Australian beers is James Squire. It's all personal taste really, but the one thing i like about a beer is the refreshing taste.

starz said:
??? i was told this was strictly a football forum by several people (including you & people who have posted in this thread).
Looks like one rule for some & another rule for others...

You were never ever told that because it's never been the case.. Before you accuse people of no reading your posts, perhaps you should do likewise.

No one wants bickering between our own supporters dude.

Sporty Spice said:
A truer word has never been spoken.

I don't mind the Glenfiddich either Sporty, I have had it on occasions. It's funny how you forget the drinks you have tried and this thread just rejogs your memory.

Great thread Doc, looks like I might try a couple of the drinks mentioned on here during the Christmas festivities. :)

I think it was Homer that said " alcohol is the cause of, and answer to, all of life's problems"

Beer - San Miguel
Wine - Cloudy Bay Savignon Blanc
Spirits - Scotch

localyokel said:
Having just read a bit about Absinthe I am now quite keen to try some. Anyone else here tryed it? Im looking at you Dry Rot

Funny enough, I came across some info about this when I was leaving church. Seems that the modern stuff only has a tiny amount of whatever the active ingredient is, and is a pale imitation of the original.

And no, Local, I haven't tried it, but where can I get some Laudanum?

Aquamarinejewel said:
I don't mind the Glenfiddich either Sporty, I have had it on occasions.

Another contributor here introduced me to 'fiddich a couple of years back and it's been my perfered scotch ever since. So much so, that i think i may have to enjoy one shortly :)

Another drink i'd love to try is Kava - Fiji's finest! The effects are supposed to be (literally) mind numbing.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grog Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back