The next group of Superstars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Demon37
You've lost me here.

Are you saying that your friend was tagging Smith, who was playing at CHB?

My bad, not well put. What I mean is Coles was playing CHF, and Nick Smith was sent to CHB (the first time he'd played CHB all year) to tag him. Had a great duel as well as I remember.

The subject of this thread was labelled next Superstars ala Voss, Buckley, Hird. From what I've seen, most of these players are more gonna be solid consistent players, not genuine superstars who will consistently take games by the scruff of the neck and have some sort of ability to win games by themselves. As of such we must be able to distinguish players from being solid, consistent, very good players (Sam Mitchell, Luke Ball, Daniel Kerr) from the absolute elite in the competition. My selected players are relatively young and either have shown they can destroy opposition teams and win games or have the capacity to do so in the future.

Set for Superstardom

Jonothan Brown
Chris Judd
Nick Riewoldt
Adam Goodes
Mark Coughlan
Chris Tarrant
Matthew Pavlich

Capacity to step up to Superstardom

Jared Brennan
James Kelly
Graham Polak
Gary Ablett Jnr
Luke Hodge
Daniel Wells

Originally posted by GeeCat

Jared Brennan
James Kelly
Graham Polak
Gary Ablett Jnr
Luke Hodge
Daniel Wells
With all due respect to Kelly, I doubt he will get to superstar status.

I'm tipping him to be the level below, with Armstrong, Sampi, Bartel, Schammer etc.

Set for Superstardom

Jonothan Brown
Chris Judd
Nick Riewoldt
Adam Goodes
Mark Coughlan
Chris Tarrant
Matthew Pavlich

Jared Brennan
James Kelly
Graham Polak
Gary Ablett Jnr
Luke Hodge
Daniel Wells

Geez how good will it be in 5 years time when all these kids are playing top notch footy against each other??

Originally posted by Dave
Injury prone hack.

Steven King of Geelong? I'd choose him first ahead of any other ruck in the game.

Apart from missing a significant stretch this year, I can't remember him missing large periods of football at other times (I might be wrong on that though).

The man is an absolute tank, yet, he is also capable of covering ground. Without a thorough pin-point inspection, I'd also say that for a big man, his skills are pretty good as well.

IMO, he is the ideal ruckman, in that he is good at the ruck duels for starters, and he is also able to have a significant and meaningful impact around the ground. He might not be the best ruck in either of those respective areas by themselves, but for both areas combined, he is hard to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Power play a lot and I'd say he's got what it takes to be a very good player, but not a superstar. Were you being sarcastic tank? Anyway, of the dogs players, so far Murphy and Hahn have shown they could be terrific players. Hahn may seem like a suprising choice to supporters of other clubs, but he is gutsy, quick, and can break tackles as well as anyone. He just needs to find the ball more and improve his kicking.

McMahon, Giansiracusa, and Faulkner all have a lot of ability, but the first two seem to be lacking the drive and confidence, and Faulkner may be injury prone.

From other clubs, Pavlich, Judd, etc... are all obvious. Of the ones that don't get as much attention, I'd say Dal Santo, Polak, Hodge, and maybe Enright could all be special.

Judd, Pavlich, and Brown are the ones I see as the next champions of the comp who will destroy sides over a prolonged period of time like Carey, Hird, Voss and so on have done since the mid 90's.

Originally posted by dave_27
Judd, Pavlich, and Brown are the ones I see as the next champions of the comp who will destroy sides over a prolonged period of time like Carey, Hird, Voss and so on have done since the mid 90's.

I agree, throw in Riewoldt, and maybe I'm just biased but Polak will be awesone in another couple of years also.

Rob murphy, cameron faulkner, sam power, shane birss, maybe jordan mcmahon( if he pulls his fingure out and plays hard footy and not pulling out of a contest, hes got to learn to put his body on the line, like a few other youngsters).

Pavlich, Judd, Brown Reiwoldt, Ball, Sampi, Hasleby, Tarrant, Goodes, Johncock, Polak, Coughlan, Brennan, Ablett, Hodge, Wells, Goddard, Clarke, Dal Santo, Armstrong, Bartel, Power, Giansiracusa, Kosczitzke.... the list goes on. Have we ever seen so much depth of talent in such a small age group?

Set for Superstardom

Jonothan Brown
Chris Judd
Nick Riewoldt
Adam Goodes
Mark Coughlan
Chris Tarrant
Matthew Pavlich

Jared Brennan
James Kelly
Graham Polak
Gary Ablett Jnr
Luke Hodge
Daniel Wells

Pretty close to what I would say.

I would also include Mitchell and Hasleby in the Capacity to step up list. I would most probably take Kelly out.

Pavlich, Brown, Wells, Judd and Riedwalt all have the ability to change a game single handedly, while the other will help change a game!

Remove this Banner Ad

The next group of Superstars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back