Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy and Phil weren't booed to the extent of Goodes but the abuse of them was horrendous.
I'll never forget the abuse Jimmy copped playing for Werribee against
Williamstown one day, some of the saddest human behaviour I've ever witnessed.

I imagine the on-field abuse/racial vilification/sledging would have exceeded the off-field abuse. I always stood/sat with the North crowd so I never heard any of it. We certainly weren't abusing opposition players based on skin colour. A shameful period for the VFL and supporters all the same.

But hell we've come a long way and we're still progressing. 150 years or so back Americans owned slaves. 50 years ago "negroes" had to sit up the back of the bus and drink water out of designated taps in the street. The other night a US actor/comedian was visiting here and they threw a celebrity reception for her. When she spoke she remarked that the room was full of celebrities and they were all white. Good for her.

Which makes me think, how many indigenous reporters are learning their craft at the Age, being mentored by Caro? Or working in middle or senior management for media outlets? How many indigenous reporters are learning how to become reporters and yobbos under Mark Robinson? Or have cadetships working for Patrick Smith? Have these self-appointed experts on racism made a stand at their own newspapers and demanded that rectifying the imbalance has to start somewhere?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Last edited:
This thread is probably pretty representative of the whole debate. Some subtle holier-than-thou posting by those who insist it's racist, and those who don't like the bloke left to defend not liking him.

I don't like Goodes and sorry if you don't accept my reasons for that. They are not racist.

I don't boo him, I don't know people who boo him, and I sure as f*** don't know why it has started and persisted this year. But just because I don't think it's racist, I'm not overly thrilled to receive the continuous subtle snide comments that paint me as a racist white Australian who is sensitive and resistant to a proud aboriginal man who has the courage to wear his pride on his sleeve. I applaud that element of Adam Goodes, at the same time as I am put off by his whiny, snipy, douchy self-absorbed behaviour on the football field.

TL;DR - I don't like him but I don't know why people boo him so don't blame me for it.

I imagine the on-field abuse/racial vilification/sledging would have exceeded the off-field abuse. I always stood/sat with the North crowd so I never heard any of it. We certainly weren't abusing opposition players based on skin colour. A shameful period for the VFL and supporters all the same.

So where did you sit? In the Arden St Grandstand or the Cheer Squad?

Because I heard it,...at Arden St, Moorabbin, Junction Oval , the MCG...whenever and wherever we went as a teen boy hearing the works. And it wasn't just them either, Rioli, Egan...Glenn James copped it worse as the black **** Umpire.

And these were the days when blokes rocked up with Eskies full of grog and stumbled out the gate plastered.

I boo shit Umpires.

If I could be bothered I'd boo when they do a score review to decide if it's a point or out of bounds. Would that be wrong of me?

Maybe in the dying minutes of a close game but otherwise who cares? Make a decision, morons. Am I allowed to say that?

The problem with this and the other arguments that say they're booing Goodes because they just don't like him is that they're are sections of the crowd that are booing him for racial reasons, and whether you like it or not you are empowering these sections of the community by booing with them. You are contributing to their sense of racial entitlement and privilege even though you're not booing for the same reason (when I say 'you' I don't necessarily mean you LTK, but the booers in general).

What I also don't understand is that surely if the people who boo are told that their booing makes them appear racist despite their claims to the contrary, they would stop. These people are so quick to say that they're not racist yet they refuse to stop doing something that gives the impression that they are what they claim not to be. If I was doing something that made me seem racist then surely I would want to stop whatever that was immediately.

This is also a reasonable article on why the arguments defending the booing just don't hold up to scrutiny:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...tics-arguments-just-dont-stack-up?CMP=soc_567

Don't dispute any of that, other than perhaps noting that you calling the article you posted "reasonable" is a little on the generous side.

Because I heard it,...at Arden St, Moorabbin, Junction Oval , the MCG...whenever and wherever we went as a teen boy hearing the works. And it wasn't just them either, Rioli, Egan...Glenn James copped it worse as the black **** Umpire.

And these were the days when blokes rocked up with Eskies full of grog and stumbled out the gate plastered.

At Arden St we stood between the grandstand and the press box on the inner half forward flank.

Elsewhere we usually stood where the colours were in the outer, but rarely near the cheer squad.

I can honestly say I didn't hear it and we were very sensitive to negative barracking against our boys.

At Arden St we stood between the grandstand and the press box on the inner half forward flank.

Elsewhere we usually stood where the colours were in the outer, but rarely near the cheer squad.

I can honestly say I didn't hear it and we were very sensitive to negative barracking against our boys.

Well we were on the Hill or on the Gasometer Wing.

Saw and heard it all; great education on life's idiots in the 1970's for a kid...drunks, sexists, and racists.

Luckily I turned out okay.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember all of that (we were in the Grandstand on the wing at Arden St - I rarely ventured into the outer). I recall two very funny Glenn James moments, the first a good example of the full on racism that existed:

1. A bloke calls out "get off the ground, James, you black coon". An uncomfortable silence followed, only to be broken by a quieter voice saying "that's a tautology". Much laughter.
2. A Footscray player (Huppatz?) picked up a bone he saw on the side of the ground (LOL Western Oval), and held it out to Glenn James, saying "here, have this, you've been going like a dog all day". James responded with the brilliant "careful mate, I might point it at you".

51Io%2BvhAOIL.jpg

This is the entire dumb misrepresentation in a nutshell.

Except I and those of similar mind are Randy saying 'Naggers' and everyone else is saying the other word as if that's what you think we mean.

She was a teen at the time and at that age one should know better than to call someone an ape. It's ridiculous to defend her for her naivety and a lack of understanding; would she have called someone of anglo-saxon heritage an ape? Of course she wouldn't have, she used that language because he's indigenous. Wherever this sort of attitude comes out in someone who should know better it should be absolutely pointed out. We can't stand for that sort of shit, even from a teenager and he was right to point it out. She's not the ******* victim here, like it or not Goodes is a victim and he represents a community of people who have been victims for the last 2 and a half centuries, if he feel he has to stand for that victimhood and make a statement about it, then more power to him.

I don't think what you say is true. I've been to spurs games home and away and have seen stadiums singing about Bale being an ape - because he does look like an ape (this is coming from a spurs fan who loves him). I'm hesitant to defend the girl as she should know better and that would she was doing was not acceptable but I can see that, particularly young people, could look at Goodes and think he does actually look like an ape in the same way Bale does and make a comment without even thinking (admittedly very stupidly) about racism.

She was a teen at the time and at that age one should know better than to call someone an ape. It's ridiculous to defend her for her naivety and a lack of understanding; would she have called someone of anglo-saxon heritage an ape? Of course she wouldn't have, she used that language because he's indigenous. Wherever this sort of attitude comes out in someone who should know better it should be absolutely pointed out. We can't stand for that sort of shit, even from a teenager and he was right to point it out. She's not the ******* victim here, like it or not Goodes is a victim and he represents a community of people who have been victims for the last 2 and a half centuries, if he feel he has to stand for that victimhood and make a statement about it, then more power to him.

Again, this is typical of the arguments being made. I don't accept that labelling someone a primate is exclusively and unequivocally a racial pejorative. LCynic used South Park to make his point, I'm going with The Simpsons:

Lisa: I'm glad I'm not crying. Cause I'd hate for you to think that what I'm about to say is based on emotion. But you, sir, are a baboon!
Homer: (gasp) Me?
Lisa: Yes, you! Baboon! Baboon! Baboon! Baboon!
Homer: I don't think you realize what you're saying…
Lisa:BABOON!

Dunstall gets called an ape.

Racist?
In fairness Queenslanders in general haven't been considered as a sub-human species for a very, very long time. Indigenous folk however, that shit is still fresh.

Those who boo are portrayed as racist, even though most aren't.

These people don't like Goodes, even though none of them know him.

Which is worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back