Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Carlton have copped a few injuries this game which is obviously having an impact on their rotations but this is embarrassing.

Not to fear. I've been assured their ceiling is welded shut at mid-table mediocrity because whilst they have been in the bottom half of the ladder for a few years they haven't been able to accumulate the true top end talent we have.
While we are looking at the next top 5 mid/shiny new toy whilst other areas of our list are ignored...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

they just keep pushing off their opponents into space creating separation, options aplenty for their mids going forward,
Absolutely. They are playing as a team totally in sync with each other at exactly the right time of the year.

I know Carlton have copped a few injuries this game which is obviously having an impact on their rotations but this is embarrassing.
They weren't playing great before the injuries happened.

Carlton exploding just before finals again, the Hawks just cutting them to pieces with pace and pressure. Injuries haven't helped but they took the risk with Charlie and look what happened, it never ends well when you do this! From possible premiership favourites to not making the 8, only Carlton. They have thrown in the towel!

It’s so frustrating watching this Hawks team, they are unbelievably good to watch.

Pace, foot skills and athletic talls. Recruiting ain’t rocket science. They are absolutely nailing their list build.
They actually value high quality, genuine small forwards. We only recruit them as an after thought as speculative picks. They last one or two years on our list because, predictably, they aren't good enough. We then end up playing four of the million 189cm forwards we have on our list and expect them to play as small pressure forwards which they can't.

Carlton exploding just before finals again, the Hawks just cutting them to pieces with pace and pressure. Injuries haven't helped but they took the risk with Charlie and look what happened, it never ends well when you do this! From possible premiership favourites to not making the 8, only Carlton. They have thrown in the towel!
Greatest knock on the Blues is their lack of toughness - amazing when you consider Cripps is their Captain.

They actually value high quality, genuine small forwards. We only recruit them as an after thought as speculative picks. They last one or two years on our list because, predictably, they aren't good enough. We then end up playing four of the million 189cm forwards we have on our list and expect them to play as small pressure forwards which they can't.
Glad people see it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the Hawks I’m filled with relief that our list management team have had the wisdom not to draft a decent small forward over the last five years.

Imagine being like them.
10 years of ignoring the importance of small forwards. FFS. Did we have a crack at Ginnivan??? One day they will study our list management stuff ups.

For all the noise of the so called "big clubs", where are all the supporters? Richmond and Melbourne having won premierships and being in finals mode you have anywhere between 60 and 80 K, this is not on the loyal supporters or people who work full time, they are the real supporters, but the amount of people who jump on the bandwagon is amazing . I know all clubs have these supporters but 17,867, at the MCG AND TWO WEEKS AGO 16,246, where are all the supporters for a large fan base, in Melbourne?
It's been a mirage all along.

Even the biggest clubs (excepting WC) reach high attendance numbers under very select conditions.

Flip Collingwood and North Melbourne draws a for a few years and you'd get marked changes to both club's average attendance.

(This I where I'd normally mention once again the time Collingwood copped a Sunday twilight vs dogs, got a smaller crowd than us for the same timeslot/opponent and promptly let the AFL know "never again")

The numbers are all smoke and mirrors imo. Anecdotally just about every life factor points to less AFL/club interest but somehow they all magically bump up the numbers year on year.

Majority of hawthorn's good players are around the 23-27 year old mark.
Most of our best players are around the 19, 20, 21, 22 year old mark. Added to that the worst senior talent in the league. There's your difference.

Day/Newcombe/Ginnivan/MacDonald/D'Ambrosio/Mackenze/Weddle/Watson/Dear are best 22 and more than pull their weight. All are between 19-23 years old as well.

There is an obvious difference in senior quality though.

Hawks really have a very even side . Probably one of the clubs I respect the most . Certainly playing with confidence and gay abandon, not that theres anything wrong with that. Also according to our olde mate Brad confidence doesn’t mean much in football.

I'm torn.

Every Hawthorn win sears in how quickly they've retooled. Yeh yeh, various excuses and other factors.

Conversely I ****ing detest Carlton.

Ok. Can live with this outcome.

Could be us next year?

Who knows.

Hawthorn's form reversal since round 5 is perhaps the most impressive turnaround I have ever seen considering the stage of their rebuild. Other than the Geelong game, they haven't really had a "down" week for 4 months.

Carlton, just lol. Good to see their arrogant supporters crawling back under their rocks.

I saw them in Adelaide play the Pies at Gather Round

You could tell Hawks were on the rise and Pies had dropped off back then

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back