Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

So 2 x useless campaigners over riding an all time coach trying to get the pieces he needs.

Go figure.

Claytons has been terrible everywhere he's been.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let me tell you something Arch:

'The Dogs missed out on the players thought to be the top two talents in the draft — number 1 pick Matthew Kreuzer and number 2 Trent Cotchin — but Clayton was sure they’d gotten the next best thing.

“If Jarrad Grant’s not the best player after them, then I’ll swim to Williamstown from here,” he said at the time'.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let me tell you something Arch:

'The Dogs missed out on the players thought to be the top two talents in the draft — number 1 pick Matthew Kreuzer and number 2 Trent Cotchin — but Clayton was sure they’d gotten the next best thing.

“If Jarrad Grant’s not the best player after them, then I’ll swim to Williamstown from here,” he said at the time'.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, he's a ****ing donkey.

Lloyd Meek is one of the most improved players in the comp, genuinely a top 5 ruckman now. Giving English an absolute bath.

When he went to the hawks I was desperate to get him, watched a bit of him in the WAFL and his tap work was so bloody good.
Rare Ballarat Grammar boy to make the big time.
95% of those who get picked up from around this way, go through St Pats or College.

Jesus.

Might as well have Putin getting overruled by Biden.

So 2 x useless campaigners over riding an all time coach trying to get the pieces he needs.

Go figure.

Claytons has been terrible everywhere he's been.

Clarkos kid Matt went to Caulfield Grammar.

As did Will Phillips and Blake Drury and yep, so did Nick Watson. So he had a bit to do with him and watched plenty of footy last year.

The talk is Clarkos bias was too strong so Kerch was locked in at 2 once Reid was out of the picture, and then we took Duurs.

I have no doubts Duursma will be a player but Watson would have solved our small forward issues for the next 10 years.

Every year it is a different club we are bitching about that made finals, Hawthorn is the club this year?

I think our MSDs have been dogshit, when did we piss off the last crew, that was after covid wasn't it?

We took Phillips(3) and Powell(13) in 2020, Lazzaro(36) and Spicer(42) in the 2nd round and Ford(56) in the 4th round.

It wasn't a great draft for us. Hawks took DGB(6), Mitchell(29), Downie(35) and Brockman(46), I mean, our draft looks good compared to that.

2021 was a bit of a dick-punch, Newcombe was a big bodied inside mid we struggled with since losing Cunners, I think we passed on him because we had Greenwood but Greenwood wasn't much of a ball winner and even though he tackled a lot, didn't seem to restrict the opposition that much from causing damage. Ham was a do-nothing pick.

Icing on the cake was the JHF fiasco. However, I think Goater, Curtis, Bergman and archer were good pickups for us. It has mostly been injury setbacks that have restricted us from seeing more from Goater and Bergman.

2022 again, we picked up Dawson due to the lack of investment in KPP where Ambrosia seemed like the best disposal skills of the top end of prospects and Moyne the most upside in terms of the flood of covid ruckmen that went around.

Sheezel and Wardlaw were really good pickups... and the draft kind of flatlined after the first round so whilst we didn't see much from outside the first round, there weren't many to have looked good in that draft.

It is a bit early to call things on last year's haul, I don't have high expectations on Hansen but I didn't see anyone else taken that I thought was a lost opportunity.

I didn't have any strong feelings about the draft pool, I know Twomey said all year we were keen on Watson, his small size had some concern, Boomer was an awesome midget but it is different using pick 2 or 3 on someone like that. Some thought he may have slid outside of the top 10 despite his talent. I think if we took the wizard and Hawks took Zane then we would be sitting here with the same conversation that we passed a guy that kicked a lot of goals and looked good when the guy we picked struggled largely because of our garbage delivery inside 50.

Goad is a longer term development which is fine, Xerri was a bit of an unknown how he would go without Goldy, but I think he exceeded every expectation. He was very unlucky not to be the AA ruckman. He had a great year.

People seem optimistic with what they saw of Will Dawson and Hardeman.

I think the vast majority of problems with our list are problems that we generated a long time ago. I think Hawks did a much better job in terms of finding mature bodied players through the midfield, but they didn't have a flock of top 5 pick midfielders there were going to cockblock in the process by doing that. They did a very impressive job with a very limited draft hand imo but they also had quality senior players that was left over from the end of their glory years. Sicily probably the oldest of the players that came after the glory years, but they have a pretty extensive group in the 25+ category who have stepped up to replace retired leaders of the club.

Who are our 25+ leaders? LDU isn't even in the leadership group. It is a pretty depressing lot and it probably isn't going to get a lot better until we see guys like Sheezel, Wardlaw, etc in the leadership group.

It is just at this point in time, we have a shit structure to play competitive AFL football and we would have paid a significant cost in terms of being able to hold high quality players had we made more of an effort to shove in solid players ahead of them.

That is the problem of rebuilding too long and there is the potential for things to go spectacularly wrong, we just have to get people up to speed A LOT faster tha we have been.

Him and Claytons have to go. Both as useless as underground lookout towers

But, but, stability... FMD

That's the one area we could use some change in. Have to get the list management right.
Hoping Thursfield has more control in decisions going forward.

The what would be the point in taking Smillie if you think Zane will do that role?
1. There’s no guarantee duurs becomes that player he might just end up a half forward
2. If he does end up a mid it doesn’t hurt to have a few big mids. Duurs will be more dynamic I think
You're 7 out of 10. Got plenty wrong as well like most of us.

Tsatas over Wardlaw
Philactides with a 1st rounder - not drafted at all
Arie Schoenmaker in the 1st round - went pick 62
To the above my point at the time and still now is id rather Schoenmaker over Dawson on our list

And likewise Philactides over Hardeman, we wouldn’t be any worse off with that switched imo

If I put together a team of how I would have drafted over the years at the time it would be better than our current list/team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want to harp on this … but I will 😁😁!!

The biggest issue at the club is not drafting, but a lack of hard work and application (and probably ambition).

Our skills have been horrendous for years, and I have never heard anyone talk about doing extra sessions to fix them.

I must admit I was triggered when I heard how Mitchell had been working with Watson on his kicking. Is Scott doing the same? MacDonald?

Is Duursma doing extra sessions to get stronger? He could be anything - a silkier version of Cripps.

Zurhaar, what about getting properly fit so you can play in the middle and drift forward?

I could go through the whole list - the only two I wouldn’t have to worry about would be X and Sheezel. Captain and Vice next year.

And we need Clarkson - any new coach could not survive the scrutiny with the time it will take to fix this.

Last edited:
We should stop trying to compare ourselves with the Hawks. One team is well run, ruthless, invests in development on and off the field and is constantly innovative. The other is North.

I actually saw two paid, even one against Libba the master thrower. Feel like I witnessed history.
I want to know what happened to the 'not moving on the mark' rule.

Home and away they've been ruthless, finals it seems to have vanished all together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back