VFL The North VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider how diabolical the bottom 25% of the umpiring talent pool is at AFL level. Then realise that they used to be the best VFL umpires before being forcibly promoted. Then realise the depths of umpiring shitness that the VFL would've had to pull from in order to compensate for the loss of their 'premium' personnel.

Shudder. I think having a saintly control of your temper will be a requirement of becoming a VFL coach going forward

It's almost like there's a link between umpire scrutiny/abuse and people wanting to umpire

Lazz, Greenwood and Drury been our best so far.

Been disappointed with some of Hardeman’s efforts and Payne hasn’t got near it
What's your view on Payne?

His draft footage was ok but didn't scream AFL pressure forward to me, didn't demonstrate repeat efforts at SPEED.

Did he demonstrate a lot more AFL qualities over a couple of years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you had to choose between keeping Harvey or Drury on the list, which way would you go? I reckon Drury for me. Neither are quick, and Harvey might have a slight edge in skill, although I like Drury’s passing i50. Just the greater defensive application and team-first play of Drury gives him the edge IMO.
Great question.

If his name was Cooper Jones it's probably Drury by a decent margin.

But knowing there might be untapped potential in Cooper might get him the nod in that head to head.

Drury presents as pretty professional.

It's almost like there's a link between umpire scrutiny/abuse and people wanting to umpire
Not going to dispute that as someone who still refs the occasional game of basketball, but the league could've looked at the trends and decided that four was too big a stretch. Baffling decision when umpiring is as notorious as it is

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL The North VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back