Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much junior and TAC footy have you watched of this kid?

seen him play 1 TAC game and 2 champs games this year. Never seen any of his junior footy. He has all the traits to be an AFL quality player but i personally dont think he is in the top 20 like most others do. Alot of people talk about his drive from defence, but in the 3 games I saw he didn't really show any of that.

seen him play 1 TAC game and 2 champs games this year. Never seen any of his junior footy. He has all the traits to be an AFL quality player but i personally dont think he is in the top 20 like most others do. Alot of people talk about his drive from defence, but in the 3 games I saw he didn't really show any of that.

We'll find out on draft day. Personally I'd be shocked if he wasn't a pick in the top 20.

We'll find out on draft day. Personally I'd be shocked if he wasn't a pick in the top 20.

You'd be right.

I think he'll go top 12, he's going to either GWS or Brisbane.

Brandon Ellis

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...et-for-afl-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226180132534

CALDER Cannons defender Brandon Ellis quit football to be with his ill father. Dale Ellis had always been the biggest supporter of his son's AFL dream.
But when doctors said his odds of surviving a second cancer battle were slim two years ago, his son pulled out of the Calder program.
Football suddenly seemed irrelevant compared to his father's health.
"I didn't want to play any more, that's how much it affected me," Ellis said.
"All I wanted to do was spend time with him, because I didn't know how much longer he had left."
Dale Ellis, however, saw the situation differently.
While fighting the disease, he convinced his son to return to the game he loved.
For Ellis, the plea from his father was the "turning point" in his football journey.

One that has ultimately lifted the tough 181cm rebounding defender with a thumping kick into firstround calculations in next month's draft.
"Dad said 'this game has been the love of your life, don't quit. Do it for me'," Ellis said.
"It was all the motivation I needed and from then on I just completely dedicated myself."
Likened to Collingwood's Heath Shaw, Ellis's ability to shut down opposition small forwards with his stocky frame and repel with force has major appeal.
When the Cannons win the ball, they instantly look to Ellis to launch it upfield.
At the national championships, he averaged 76 per cent disposal efficiency, and was involved in more scores than any other defender, according to Champion Data, earning All-Australian honours.
Every club, except Carlton, is believed to have interviewed him.
On draft day, after his name is called out somewhere in the top 25, a special moment beckons with Ellis's dad and mother, Nancy.
The 18-year-old is grateful his family, with the help of a hospital counsellor, was able to turn him around.
"Dad is my right-hand man. He is the most supportive person you could imagine," Ellis said.
Which is why, when the pair used to kick in the park together, the big Roos’ fan, who grew up in North Melbourne, was able to develop a powerful kick on both sides of his body.
"Dad taught me not just to kick on my right. He said you had to be able to kick on both sides," Ellis said.
For Christmas, when Ellis needed to improve his endurance, he received a heart-rate monitor.
It paid dividends.
"You got to see how hard you were working so it was very beneficial for pre-season, and being able to push yourself harder," he said.
"In games, I was able to concentrate for longer periods and put in harder efforts for longer."

Isn't that exactly what we need? Tough lock down small defender who is good overhead and has a powerful kick. Dual sided and offers something on offense.

Know someone who plays with him at West Coburg and he said that Brandon is the hardest worker on their team and oozes leadership qualities. Also mentioned us and Essendon were the first two clubs to speak to him.

AND he went for North as a kid :thumbsu::cool:

I don't see why VCE exams (a month long process) and the draft (a 1-2 hour process) cannot co-exist.
Because as soon as they get drafted they tend to need to pack up and move out of home (interstate/to the city); start on a training program given by the club; and go to wherever the club's training camp is;

its not the draft itself but the following actions required

Alrighty this is how I think it will go down:

Pick 18: Mid/HBF: one of Ellis, Docherty, McKensie, Crozier, Markworth or Grigg

Pick 40: KP Player: One of Dobosz, Boseley, Kersten, Downie (Ruckman), Curran or Bussey.

or Mid: Yeo, Williams, Clay Smith, Hill, Ellis-Yolman

Rookie list:

1) Gavin Urquhart

2) Ruckman - Lief Cope, Callum Sinclair or James Craig (Gee this draft is shallow for ruckman)

3)Tall Forward or back - Jack Frost, Fletcher Roberts, Sam Gordon, Ben Brown, Nathan Schade, kyle Hartigan or Sean Tighe.

4) Mid - Mangan, Ah Chee, Jye Bolton (delisted from Collingwood), Butcher, Raikiwasa, Aaron Hall, Matt Suckling,

5) Lachlan Fairley

Pick 40: KP Player: One of Dobosz, Boseley, Kersten, Downie (Ruckman), Curran or Bussey.

or Mid: Yeo, Williams, Clay Smith, Hill, Ellis-Yolman

Rookie list:

1) Gavin Urquhart

2) Ruckman - Lief Cope, Callum Sinclair or James Craig (Gee this draft is shallow for ruckman)

3)Tall Forward or back - Jack Frost, Fletcher Roberts, Sam Gordon, Ben Brown, Nathan Schade, kyle Hartigan or Sean Tighe.

4) Mid - Mangan, Ah Chee, Jye Bolton (delisted from Collingwood), Butcher, Raikiwasa, Aaron Hall, Matt Suckling,

5) Lachlan Fairley

Add Maric to the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be interested to know how you rate the kids. No necessarily where they'll go, but moreso how you rank them

I'll start with this list.

The clubs in a fairly interesting situation this year. Having absolutely loaded up on genuine midfielders in the last few drafts, we are in a position to take a need with our first draft pick.
I think everyone during the year at some stage looked to the backline and identified the lack of drive coming off the half back, this was probably backed up by what Brady had to say on SEN the other night

McKenzie and Docherty are fairly close for obvious reasons. I’m personally a fan of McKenzie, he has the runs on the board, some serious weapons to take into AFL level, and has been a high quality junior right throughout U/16’s an AA u/18 and widely considered to be SA’s best player other than Wingard. His kicking skills are absolutely elite, make no mistake, I’d compare them to a Shannon Hurn, Josh Drummond etc ; i.e the best 1% of the AFL. He’s played a lot of midfield in the past, even as a centre square midfielder, excellent overhead has a big tank and a great work ethic -->He pretty much follows the trend of every decent HBF in the AFL now; very good midfielder at junior level, touch on the slow side, good skills, easily coachable.

Docherty is a late bloomer, who’s had an absolutely outstanding top age year and blown himself right into not only draft consideration, but first round calculations. He’s seriously quick, he didn’t test at the combine, but having seen him, I’d say he’d run a 20m in the very low 2.9’s; has fantastic agility, and good skills to boot. His kicking is slightly overstated on this site, I’d consider them very good, but certainly not the best in the draft, probably slightly better than someone like Scotty McMahon. Question marks on whether he can move into the midfield, but that’s only a problem for a side that needs him in there, not really us.
Either of these guys would be absolutely perfect for the club, make no mistake, and if either get to us, we should be over the moon on draft day.

Ellis I’d rate slightly lower, but not by much. Tough as nails, super competitive, small defender/half back, doesn’t have the damaging tools as the other two, but will still without a doubt be a very solid AFL footballer, good all-round footballer. Not to dissimilar to a Jamie McMillan.

Crozier is going to be one of the most interesting guys on draft day, and I wouldn’t be discounting him for us at #18. He’s pretty much got to the point he’s so overrated by people on BF, he’s underrated atm. Was close to missing the draft cut off, so is one of the younger guys in the group. Mercurial half forward/midfielder, with a thumping kick, that absolutely blitzed the combine. Huge vertical leap, who’s got a light frame atm, and needs to work on the tank; not to dissimilar to Kieran Harper last year. Reminds me of Tim Notting a bit.

Grigg, well I would of loved to have taken him a year or two ago, but as the list stands he’s probably surplus to requirements. I wouldn’t discount him though, if Lewis has him best available at #18, then we might end up with him, Essendon would be mad to pass on him at #19 imo, he’s perfect for them really. Gun young SA kid who’s tasted and done well in league footy in the SANFL this year. Bullocking inside midfielder with a booming kick, he’s a little bit like a poor man’s Jack Ziebell, and I reckon you’re going to get a similar quality player to a Levi Greenwood. So basically, any club that gets him should be happy.

I’ll do some more later.

I don't get too tied up on individual players, there's pro's/con's for every single player listed coming to the club.

You can only really assess what we need, imo, McKenzie is the closest best available/need likely at our pick.

You'd be right.

I think he'll go top 12, he's going to either GWS or Brisbane.

Cant see him falling through to 12.

If the Lions want him they will have to use their 1st selection on him and if GWS want him then they will need to select him before Brisbanes pick.

I don't get too tied up on individual players, there's pro's/con's for every single player listed coming to the club.

You can only really assess what we need, imo, McKenzie is the closest best available/need likely at our pick.

Top effort Pykie :thumbsu:
A good read that's convinced me we'll get a good young kid on draft day.

I think with the big gap between our first and second pick, and because of our recent good drafting, we should try and get a player that fits our needs rather than the best available. Although it looks like the best available will be most likley Docherty or Mckenzie, who both seem perfect.

Looks like we could, once again, end up with the best available guy who also fits our needs at pick 18. Bryce's job hasn't been too hard for the first rounders over the last few years.

Looks like we could, once again, end up with the best available guy who also fits our needs at pick 18. Bryce's job hasn't been too hard for the first rounders over the last few years.

When there's a few blokes that could go "either way", it's up to Bryce to really pick the eyes out of it, and ensure we get the Ryan Bastinac over Koby Stevens (where both would have realistically suited our needs pre-draft)

Your input here is very much appreciated Pykie. We know what we get with your opinions, fairness as well as honesty. Cheers for adding your slant to the options provided. I truly doubt we'll stuff up pick 18, whichever way we go. I also have little reason to doubt Lice with pick 40, considering his track record.

Rapt to have Mckenzie fall to me in the BF Phantom draft

didn't change the bio too much just made it more accurate

Rapt to have Mckenzie fall to me in the BF Phantom draft

didn't change the bio too much just made it more accurate
What are you thinking for 40? A tall? Perhaps a slider like a Crozier, Smith or even Manson?

McKenzie made sense to me with Docherty off the table :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back