Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must say I haven't given the draft any thought this yr normally look forward to it.Suppose it's because GWS are sucking the life out of it (draft) and our first rounder is really a second rounder.Wouldn't have minded us not having a pick at all, but thats against the rules of course.

And before anyone says its a first rounder, when Demetriou gets his way and there's 356 teams, we of course salute and the last 50 teams all have a priorty pick- Is our pick 407 still a first rounder?:p

Must say I haven't given the draft any thought this yr normally look forward to it.Suppose it's because GWS are sucking the life out of it (draft) and our first rounder is really a second rounder.Wouldn't have minded us not having a pick at all, but thats against the rules of course.

And before anyone says its a first rounder, when Demetriou gets his way and there's 356 teams, we of course salute and the last 50 teams all have a priorty pick- Is our pick 407 still a first rounder?:p

AFL becoming like the NBA :thumbsdown:

And before anyone says its a first rounder, when Demetriou gets his way and there's 356 teams, we of course salute and the last 50 teams all have a priorty pick- Is our pick 407 still a first rounder?:P

Of couse. Because 106 of those teams will have priority picks which will rank ahead of our first as the premier, not to mention the fact that the "Even Further West than GWS" team will get 33 of the first 40 picks in the draft as a start up franchise in the latest attempt to expand the game into Sydney. :rolleyes:

Mate, if you are getting pissed off about having pick 18, you might want to ignore the draft for the next 6-7 seasons, as I suspect we're going to be having a lot more picks in that region.

Mate, if you are getting pissed off about having pick 18, you might want to ignore the draft for the next 6-7 seasons, as I suspect we're going to be having a lot more picks in that region.

:thumbsu: too right! this draft isn't too bad, we are definately going to pick up 2 good kids with our picks. I think it wouldve been an excellent draft to have a top 10 pick in as there will be some genuine superstars that come out of the top 10.

:thumbsu: too right! this draft isn't too bad, we are definately going to pick up 2 good kids with our picks. I think it wouldve been an excellent draft to have a top 10 pick in as there will be some genuine superstars that come out of the top 10.

That's my point we did finish 9th!! it reminds of our pick 7 (Hale) when finished 14th.But there was 3 shit sides that couldn't win 4.5 games.Which means we played at least 3 games against them.But were only worthy of 14th.

AGC- I'm pretty much not going to have any interest in the draft for years.Kind of sad though.

Thanks Horace I look forward to our first rounder at pick 400 +.What type of player are you thinking we might land?I'll be hoping for someone with both legs and arms that are fully functional.:eek:

That's my point we did finish 9th!! it reminds of our pick 7 (Hale) when finished 14th.But there was 3 shit sides that couldn't win 4.5 games.Which means we played at least 3 games against them.But were only worthy of 14th.

AGC- I'm pretty much not going to have any interest in the draft for years.Kind of sad though.

Thanks Horace I look forward to our first rounder at pick 400 +.What type of player are you thinking we might land?I'll be hoping for someone with both legs and arms that are fully functional.:eek:

I expect by then, naturally north, we will again look at David "I'm a skinny man" Calthorpe as our number one pick. There will be pretty much no-one else available, which of course is quite different from being any good.

Must Watch This!!

Sam Docherty

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-line-to-the-top/story-e6frf9jf-1226180426377

SAM Docherty is not one to stick to the safe options charging from defence. The Gippsland Power defender is armed with arguably the most potent right-foot kick in this year's draft pool.
The man who models his game on Carlton's Chris Yarran has the power and precision in his right leg to unpick a forward press.
But it's not just the technique that makes Docherty, who has stormed up the under-age rankings, a tantalising first-round draft pick next month.
It's his aggressive mindset, and a coolness under pressure, that helps enable him to hit even the most cramped targets with a 60m pass, bursting from the back line.
"I love to carry the footy with my run and bounce and use my skills and usually take the option that is going to affect the team the best," Docherty said.

"Sometimes it doesn't pay off, sometimes it does. Most of the times it does because I usually make a good decision ... I love having the right foot as a weapon."
Docherty, 18, is one of the biggest surprise packets of the draft.
This time last year, the TAC Cup rebound king was playing local footy for Phillip Island. He had been overlooked for a berth in the Power's team because of a persistent back strain.
Docherty said it was in the local league, playing against men as a junior, that he built confidence in his disposal.
"I played two years of seniors, first as a 15-year-old then as 16-year-old, and that's where I learnt to use it (kicking skills)," he said.
"I just learnt to take on all the old blokes, and I've just carried it on to TAC Cup this year."
Docherty, who notched the second-most back-50m rebounds in the TAC Cup this year, made his biggest statement at the national championships.
The 183cm back flanker missed out on initial selection for Vic Country, but earned a call-up for the last two games, and starred with his swift movement.
Unflustered in tight situations, Docherty also showed himself to be more than capable defensively, standing strong in one-on-one contests and helping teammates.
sIn the minds of recruiters, his stocks were soaring.
"To go straight in and play as well as I did, I was astounded really," he said.
"I didn't think I was going to come in and make that much of a difference but I backed my own ability and kept going."
Brandon Ellis

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...et-for-afl-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226180132534

CALDER Cannons defender Brandon Ellis quit football to be with his ill father. Dale Ellis had always been the biggest supporter of his son's AFL dream.
But when doctors said his odds of surviving a second cancer battle were slim two years ago, his son pulled out of the Calder program.
Football suddenly seemed irrelevant compared to his father's health.
"I didn't want to play any more, that's how much it affected me," Ellis said.
"All I wanted to do was spend time with him, because I didn't know how much longer he had left."
Dale Ellis, however, saw the situation differently.
While fighting the disease, he convinced his son to return to the game he loved.
For Ellis, the plea from his father was the "turning point" in his football journey.

One that has ultimately lifted the tough 181cm rebounding defender with a thumping kick into firstround calculations in next month's draft.
"Dad said 'this game has been the love of your life, don't quit. Do it for me'," Ellis said.
"It was all the motivation I needed and from then on I just completely dedicated myself."
Likened to Collingwood's Heath Shaw, Ellis's ability to shut down opposition small forwards with his stocky frame and repel with force has major appeal.
When the Cannons win the ball, they instantly look to Ellis to launch it upfield.
At the national championships, he averaged 76 per cent disposal efficiency, and was involved in more scores than any other defender, according to Champion Data, earning All-Australian honours.
Every club, except Carlton, is believed to have interviewed him.
On draft day, after his name is called out somewhere in the top 25, a special moment beckons with Ellis's dad and mother, Nancy.
The 18-year-old is grateful his family, with the help of a hospital counsellor, was able to turn him around.
"Dad is my right-hand man. He is the most supportive person you could imagine," Ellis said.
Which is why, when the pair used to kick in the park together, the big Roos’ fan, who grew up in North Melbourne, was able to develop a powerful kick on both sides of his body.
"Dad taught me not just to kick on my right. He said you had to be able to kick on both sides," Ellis said.
For Christmas, when Ellis needed to improve his endurance, he received a heart-rate monitor.
It paid dividends.
"You got to see how hard you were working so it was very beneficial for pre-season, and being able to push yourself harder," he said.
"In games, I was able to concentrate for longer periods and put in harder efforts for longer."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd reckon they would include at least one kick in the vid yeah. They talked it up like it cured cancer but couldn't even show one solitary kick from start to finish. :confused::confused:
The AFL website has some vision of his kicking.

He's like the white Wells :thumbsu:

Just watched it YOTR. There was one kick in that clip that ended up in the hands of a team mate. It was a decent kick yes, any chance we could've seen a few more?

Would look pretty good adding a bit from dash from defence, real good actually. I'm trying not to get excited/attached to any draftees, hate being dissapointed later on. I just wish it would hurry up so we can see who we get.

It would've been nice to ship 'em off to Utah too hey? Imagine that, "Welcome to the big league kiddo. Grab the gloves, Levi isn't gonna box himself"

Just watched it YOTR. There was one kick in that clip that ended up in the hands of a team mate. It was a decent kick yes, any chance we could've seen a few more?

Would look pretty good adding a bit from dash from defence, real good actually. I'm trying not to get excited/attached to any draftees, hate being dissapointed later on. I just wish it would hurry up so we can see who we get.

It would've been nice to ship 'em off to Utah too hey? Imagine that, "Welcome to the big league kiddo. Grab the gloves, Levi isn't gonna to box himself"
Tend to agree. Give the clubs a week after the trade period to finalise delistings (many clubs had cut deep before then anyway). Then have the draft straight away. No seperate PSD/rookie draft either. Get it all over and done with by mid-late October and then all the new kids can have a full AFL pre-season too.

i think that they're finishing the final year of school keeps it the way it is. ...meh, it's only VCE...

Sorry to sadden las but i think DOcherty is GWS bound, best "pure" rebounding Halfback flanker in the draft

i think that they're finishing the final year of school keeps it the way it is. ...meh, it's only VCE...
I don't see why VCE exams (a month long process) and the draft (a 1-2 hour process) cannot co-exist.

Docherty you wouldn't swap into the middle regularly (if he continued to play the game style he played in the champs)

Buntine you would, thats why i used the word "pure"
Yes I suppose. But assuming Buntine goes to GWS (and also assuming they take Coniglio, Tyson, Wingard and possibly Sumner, Adams/Greene) as well as Shiel, Scully and Ward already signed up... surely Buntine won't play midfield.

Sorry to sadden las but i think DOcherty is GWS bound, best "pure" rebounding Halfback flanker in the draft
meh, i rate mckenzie equal to docherty so it wouldn't bother me if we got either also ellis imo is not far behind them.

But as i have said earlier i would still like a kpf with pick 18 tomlinson,paine or elton are all good prospects that i rate highly

meh, i rate mckenzie equal to docherty so it wouldn't bother me if we got either also ellis imo is not far behind them.

But as i have said earlier i would still like a kpf with pick 18 tomlinson,paine or elton are all good prospects that i rate highly

Elton is really the only one who stands out for mine. Tomlinson and Paine are severely overated.

If we go tall I would go on the high risk high reward strategy. Go after Manson or Frost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back