Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Trade Targets MEGATHREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years into Brads reign and the forward line revolving door still has us all guessing.

Where is LT or Flash in that line up, not to mention Adams and Boomer?

Black/Gunston fighting for the one spot until Petrie retires.

Hmac as permanent forward still has me wondering.

There will always be injuries and blokes playing in the two's. Imagine if you lined up all of Adelaide's talls on paper, it would look ridicuous and as such, would never happen.

I would've preferred to bring in a gorilla ruck/forward and moved Hamish on, allowing us to combine the Gunston/McIntosh roles you listed. But as discussed ad nauseam keeping Hamish is the safer bet.

Edit: Not to mention Gunston is not even on our list.

Black and Gunston fighting for the same spot means we should not be using pick 18 on Gunston. We would be better off using it on other needs such as a half back flanker or upgrading good players to potentially elite ones.

Alternatively, to secure Gunston, offer a second round pick plus one of our decent players who is surplus to our needs. What does Adelaide need?

Petrie, Edwards, Hansen, Pederson, McIntosh, Black.

The big forwards are not a huge issue.

Sure, another one would be handy, but the situation does not call for paying ridiculous overs.

Pick 18 and a fringe player should be the max offer. It should get the job done too.

I'd argue your point about the forwards though.

Petrie - 29 years old in a month or so. Will leave a massive hole when he goes.

Hansen - He might be the one who fills that hole. He also might become a great CHB. He also might flop entirely. The major question mark over Hansen at FF is the set shot for goal.

McIntosh - I like him at FF. But you can't ignore the fact that once the ball hits the ground he's out of the contest. Dish, on the other hand, competes well at ground level. H is 27 so maybe not a long term option but worth trying next year for sure.

Edwards - With all due respect to Azza, I think 2011 was his maximum output and even then it was probably only just above average. He did well to have a 'breakout season' at 27 years of age.

Pedersen - A handy player with great work rate. I'd like to see him take more contested marks next year. An impressive debut year but needs to step up again next season.

Black - Promising but still raw.

In 4 years time, we could be left with just Hansen, Pedo and Black. By that time it's too late to draft a key forward. We've seen it with the Dogs and we're seeing it now with Carlton that even though they're desperate for a key forward, there are just no good ones available. It's pretty rare that a young key forward is on the market. We should pounce.

I'd rather have too many key forwards than too few.

A bit of everything wth the exception of key forwards.

Wonder what they think of Anthony, Urquhart, Garlett or Campbell plus 2nd round pick. Are these players they can easily find in the SANFL? Wouldn't mind letting them exchange their 5th round for our 3rd round to top up the trade.

Wonder what they think of Anthony, Urquhart, Garlett or Campbell plus 2nd round pick. Are these players they can easily find in the SANFL? Wouldn't mind letting them exchange their 5th round for our 3rd round to top up the trade.

Anthony, Garlett and Campbell would all get a game in the Adelaide best 22.

i wouldnt offer more than pick 18 for gunston, if a club beats that which i doubt any will want to offer more then we just draft a kpf with pick 18 or give a 2nd round pick to hawthorn for lisle.

possible forwards that we can draft with one of our first 2 picks could be paine,kersten,dobosz,bussey,frost,manson or tomlinson.

Re: Nick Smith

He is a promising player. Now what? Not sure why our defenders have been bagged out here, especially McMahon and Thompson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finding a speedy mid-sized defender capable of staying with the nippy forwards (both ground-focused ones, like Campbell; and marking-focused ones, like Thomas) is a priority for our club going forward. I hope we identify one and draft/trade for them - preferably two of them, so we've got a back-up plan. Giving up our 3rd pick would be acceptable IMO, in pursuit of that player. I can't see that we've got one on our list who's quick and agile enough, concentrates hard enough, and is a good enough decision maker.

Nick shuts down the best small forwards week in week out. Never gets much of the pill however, a no fuss player who plays his part of a super defensive and contested side. Good on the Lad. I'd rather find a defender who not only defends but creates.

Re: Gunston.

would not have to pay overs for him, as he is not contracted. If he was smart he would pick north as his preferred destination and it would give us bargaining power. He wouldn't get a run in Hawks forward line anyway. We should definately be going after him.

Was mentioned in the article below that is interested in North or Hawthorn (isnt everyone always linked to the Hawks).

Thoughts?

I think we would have to pay "overs" for him, so not worth it. We have Black to develop, and possibly Tarrent to play forward.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ant-jack-gunston/story-e6frf9jf-1226134312735

Admittedly i dont know much about him but if we're looking for a forward im not so sure. 193cm and 81kg? Not to say he cant be a player however......

Teams are getting better and better and closing down space for forwards, thats why Drew was so valuable this year. He's a beast and strong at the contested mark. We have Hansen while atm is more the leading forward and wont kill the man in the hole like Petrie yet, but he is 197cm with awesome hands.

Look at Geelong V Hawthorn, the Cats big men caused a hell of a lot of trouble. For mine we need a beast at the contested marks, hard to see a 193cm light weight ever doing that. Now if we were talking Tippett at 203 and 107kg, id be more than willing to throw 2 first round picks, meh not gonna happen :(

As i said i havent seen much of him, so perhaps he's just a freak. Or perhaps we're looking at him for talller HBF and/or future defensive role with Hansen up front.

Haven't seen anything of Gunston at all, other than TAC cup footage. From what I have read he is tall and skinny, quite agile and atheltic, has sticky hands and a very good footy brain. He sounds like Aaron Black.

I was all for us going with a key forward in the first round of this draft until I realised that there were not going to be many with first round value available at 18, so Gunston sounds like he could be alright. Anyone seen most of his games?

Haven't seen anything of Gunston at all, other than TAC cup footage. From what I have read he is tall and skinny, quite agile and atheltic, has sticky hands and a very good footy brain. He sounds like Aaron Black.

I was all for us going with a key forward in the first round of this draft until I realised that there were not going to be many with first round value available at 18, so Gunston sounds like he could be alright. Anyone seen most of his games?

You summed him up nicely. Is only 193cm but that's Josh Kennedy's height so not a huge issue. When he gets bigger he'll be a seriously good player. Knows when and where to lead and has good hands.

You summed him up nicely. Is only 193cm but that's Josh Kennedy's height so not a huge issue. When he gets bigger he'll be a seriously good player. Knows when and where to lead and has good hands.
So that'd be Gunston, Black and Kennedy all of similar heights and attributes on the list.

Nick Reiwoldt height too.

Good agility and speed at that height creates match up issues for defenders. Having two/three blokes like that plus one bigger, stronger forward will really stretch defences, and ensure that forward pressure remains intact when we don't have the ball. It'll be interesting to see what happens here. If we do snag Gunston I would somehow like to see the club hang onto 18 and get a McKenzie or Docherty, but that just doesn't seem likely without giving up a good youngster.

^ nice post. I don't know how many times I've watched us do all the hard work then break down with that kick to the flank. Hale, Azza and Warren were diabolical in Petrie's absence. Hansen excelled at it in 2010. 2011 Azza and Pedo have been good at times, with Petrie having to cover for them, workin himself arguably too far away from goals.

Every time Warren got spoiled I would wonder what it would be like having a bloke who's that little bit taller and able to get that little bit more separation from his man.

Not knocking Warren, he's given he's all and I have a lot of time for him, but if we essentially upgrade him to a strong athletic bloke with hands that stick, I will be looking at the move as one of a masterstroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back