The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know I've already got the "expectations of Dalziell thread" but I wanted to start this one and have it as a bit of a one on one competition throughout the seasons.

Maybe if we're disciplined enough to update it regularly over the next x years it'll help us determine who got the better end of the trade?

Anyway, early days at this point, obviously, but here is a freaky picture:

staker.jpg

And a link to a photo of Staker wearing a bra:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roger-the-sheep/4198791359/in/datetaken/

And an article about Stakers:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/87925/default.aspx

The 25 year-old utility from Broken Hill played 110 matches and kicked 84 goals with the Eagles, but after managing just six senior matches in 2009 felt it was time for a change of scenery.

“It came down to a decision by me - it certainly wasn’t forced upon by West Coast,” he said.

“They are a fantastic club and I am really grateful that they gave me a great opportunity to play AFL.”

“But I thought the move was the best thing for my career.’

No really media on Dalziell yet and not really any comment on him in the training threads. Over on the Brisbane board they seem to be warming to Stakes and think he'll line up in Round 1.

Million dollar smile too.

If we keep trading hot players for ugly players our female and gay membership will go down and our profits will take a hit.

I say no more trading or delisting of metro players, regardless of how badly they're going. Sign up Nicoski now, forget waiting to see how he goes next year.

Million dollar smile too.

If we keep trading hot players for ugly players our female and gay membership will go down and our profits will take a hit.

I say no more trading or delisting of metro players, regardless of how badly they're going. Sign up Nicoski now, forget waiting to see how he goes next year.

It's alright, we drafted the Nicoski/LeCras clone in Sheppard!

^ Yeah same here (not the jumper - that things munted). Hope Staker can find that all elusive consistancy, even if such a thing would make us look silly.

^ Yeah same here (not the jumper - that things munted). Hope Staker can find that all elusive consistency, even if such a thing would make us look silly.
We have all been Hoping Staker would be consistent for years, short of putting a rocket up his arse, Woosha has done everything possible to extract his digit.

My tip, don't hold your breath!

We are so far in front with this trade that it is almost embarrassing. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, having read a lot of Richmond supporters thoughts on JON it would seem that Staker is our JON, only better, to the point where we were able to trade him.

I get the impression that a lot of Brisbane fans are optimistic about getting improvement out of Staker just as a lot of our fans are about JON.

I'll be interested to note how many players make a big improvement in a different environment. My bet would be nearly none but let's wait and see.

Hmm, having read a lot of Richmond supporters thoughts on JON it would seem that Staker is our JON, only better, to the point where we were able to trade him.

I get the impression that a lot of Brisbane fans are optimistic about getting improvement out of Staker just as a lot of our fans are about JON.

I'll be interested to note how many players make a big improvement in a different environment. My bet would be nearly none but let's wait and see.
Surely a player has enough incentive to perform at full capacity at any AFL club.

It's not like you leave Perth Glory to play with the Dorkers!

Having said that, confidence is paramount in performing at your best so some players will excel. Lets hope JON is that player:D

Surely a player has enough incentive to perform at full capacity at any AFL club

Agreed.

For the most part all AFL clubs are homogenous anyway. It's not like Mark Thompson is so much better at coaching that he can make a crap player at say, Fremantle, and awesome player in Geelong.

At the end of the day, if a player doesn't make it at club X, or is avverage at club X, he'll be the same elsewhere.

I guess the only exceptions would be when a player moves from a crap team to a good team - that can make you look better than you are by miles, (See a lot of St. Kilda players in 2009) or when a player moves to a team which has a gameplan that suits him.

Surely a player has enough incentive to perform at full capacity at any AFL club.

i dont think its that, its that each club is run differently and the way the lions are run might suit staker more than the west coast were run suited him

Difference being we got JON for free, they lost a quality young midfield prospect for Staker.

For the most part all AFL clubs are homogenous anyway. It's not like Mark Thompson is so much better at coaching that he can make a crap player at say, Fremantle, and awesome player in Geelong.

At the end of the day, if a player doesn't make it at club X, or is avverage at club X, he'll be the same elsewhere.

I'd be willing to bet that Marcus Drum will be a lot better at Geelong than he was at Fremantle :)

Staker was too laconic for my liking, never convinced me that he was giving 100%. Dalziell might not have the natural skills and athleticism of most others, but I get the impression that he gives everything out on the field.

PS: The new Lions jumper is not an improvement on the old.

Agreed.

I guess the only exceptions would be when a player moves from a crap team to a good team - that can make you look better than you are by miles, (See a lot of St. Kilda players in 2009) or when a player moves to a team which has a gameplan that suits him.

A confusing post. So you are saying that AFL clubs are homogenous and players who dont make it at one club wont make it at another ... except for when they do. Hmmmm....

And your reason for this insight is that some clubs are better or that some clubs have a different game plan which suits the moving player. Hmmm...

So clubs are homogenous (except when they are non-homogenous - due to either being better/worse or having different game plans) and that players will be "the same elsewhere", except for when they aren't. Ok ....

By the way, James Clement, Adam McPhee, David Rodan and no doubt numerous others, say hi!

Were they the products of non-homogenous club swaps, more suitable game plans or what?
:)

A confusing post. So you are saying that AFL clubs are homogenous and players who dont make it at one club wont make it at another ... except for when they do. Hmmmm....

And your reason for this insight is that some clubs are better or that some clubs have a different game plan which suits the moving player. Hmmm...

So clubs are homogenous (except when they are non-homogenous - due to either being better/worse or having different game plans) and that players will be "the same elsewhere", except for when they aren't. Ok ....

By the way, James Clement, Adam McPhee, David Rodan and no doubt numerous others, say hi!

Were they the products of non-homogenous club swaps, more suitable game plans or what?
:)

It's not confusing at all, you're just a tit.

What I said was:

"For the most part all AFL clubs are homogenous anyway"

"I guess the only exceptions would be when a player moves from a crap team to a good team...or when a player moves to a team which has a gameplan that suits him"

The problem is that you're selectively reading. I didn't say clubs were pefectly homogenous for players being traded. I said they were for the most part, and I'm right. :)

Difference being we got JON for free, they lost a quality young midfield prospect for Staker.

Indeed. I think I actually mentioned that in my post.

I'd be willing to bet that Marcus Drum will be a lot better at Geelong than he was at Fremantle :)

Fremantle are the obvious example when it comes to trading away quality players.

Remove this Banner Ad

The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back