The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Staker – perhaps perhaps perhaps

He seems very confident he is going to be in the 22 come round 1 and given what Voss gave up for him you would hope so. He has been a model of inconsistency in his career to date (eg he scored 102/116 in round 4 last year and 15/13 in round 5) but if he got it all together he could make you some serious money slotting in as a forward. He has stated a couple of times that he has been promised time as a HF alternating with Brennan through the midfield. So he will have every opportunity to score and with the new team bounce you have to consider him priced at 53/51. As a half forward he is likely to be able to float around without much company given the focus that Brown and Fevola are likely to get so he could well score pretty well. In preseason photos he looks heavy and I am struggling to see him having the engine to play significant time in the midfield notwithstanding that like virtually all players he will trim down between now and the start of the season. Despite what he has said I think his starting position is far from assured and the pressure will be on him to perform. That fact that he could only manage 6 games last year for a bottom 4 side again would worry me if I was taking him.

I dont know how many of you know this but quigly does a Dream Team and Supercoach write up every year on the Brisbane players.

The above is what he said about Staker.

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16639042#post16639042

If that's the case he wont even get a look in, Rosa is just holding down a spot till someone better comes up through the ranks.

Thats just stupid, Rosa's improvement in 2009 was good, why cant he duplicate that in 2010 with a full preseason?

It amazes me how people dont seem to grasp the concept of a player being able to improve. Especially one with less then 5 seasons under his belt.

If that reference is being made about Rosa then I would like to chime in, I just spent the last few weeks going through last years games on my htpc and Rosa stood out more than ever as being a soft, turnover king and squib who can run and thats it.

So both players played in NAB1 and both players got a win.

Statisitcally:

Staker had a quiet game with 5k, 5h, 10D, 3M, 1HO, 2T, 0FF, 2FA, 0G, 1B.
Likewise Dalziell was quiet with 6k, 8h, 14D, 3M, 0HO, 1T, 1FF, 0FA, 0G, 0B.

I'd give the points to Dalziell, only by a little, although neither player showed much.

Here's hoping that both of them (but Dalziell moreso) lift their games a bit for next time.

Dalziell looked like a fish out of water, looked lost. I don't think he was playing his customary position on the wing, it seemed like he was either tagging or playing in defense. I don't know why but I thought he played ok, he showed a glimpse to me of his quality. He wont be a superstar but he will be a good player.

Dalziell looked like a fish out of water, looked lost. I don't think he was playing his customary position on the wing, it seemed like he was either tagging or playing in defense. I don't know why but I thought he played ok, he showed a glimpse to me of his quality. He wont be a superstar but he will be a good player.

I read most of the post game comments threads before I got to watch the game on bigpond... so I was keen to look at a few of the things that seemed to get different opinions from different posters... one of which was Dalziell. Ive now watched it twice, and I actually thought Dalziell showed some very good signs. His first cpl of goes at the ball were a bit wary, but from then on everything seemed poised, to advantage and relatively pinpoint... decent ball pressure etc as well. Bit hard to work out what role he was being favoured in by Woosh, but overall I thought it was a reasonable showing.

I saw glimpses of the Brisbane game i have to say Staker looked awesome (well his hair did anyway.)

I was a tad disapointed in Dalziell's game as he seemed to struggle with the pace of it, however I think that he showed enough to at least suggest we won't lose out of the Miss Staker trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

staker looked the same to me, did a few nice things but overall failed to have an impact.

dalziell had an average game also.

it's the first preseason game so i suppose this kind of thing is expected with players at new clubs.

i must say, i do find watching staker at brisbane amusing. i hope he goes well, he's an interesting player to watch.

Staker is is Brisbane's 22 wheras Dalziell isn't a lock in our 22. Therefore Staker is probably the bargain of the trade, He never did that well for us but he is part of the Lions premiership plans so he must be doing something right.

Staker is is Brisbane's 22 wheras Dalziell isn't a lock in our 22. Therefore Staker is probably the bargain of the trade, He never did that well for us but he is part of the Lions premiership plans so he must be doing something right.

what gave you this idea?

he hasnt exactly cemented his spot in the 22.

i had quite a nice moment when i saw triple d on friday. sitting in the stands he looked exactly like rojo from behind. reminded me of the good old rowan days.

By the numbers after the first game.

Dalziell had 14 possessions of the team total of 350 = just over the average (26 players). Dalziell had 3 marks, 1 tackle, a free kick but didn't trouble the score board. Steady improvement from the intra-club performance IMO.

Staker had 10 possessions of the team total of 272 = just under the average (26 players). Staker had 3 marks, 2 tackles, gave away 2 free kicks and kicked a point.

Near enough to even ATM. Brisbane lost so stats might be hard to find until round 1.

well apart from the usual interests in round 1, i guess the added interest will be watching how staker and dazzle perform,and comparing their performance (given they both play)

its probably not fair to say this -since i dot know the guy,however staker seemd to have the goods on occasion, but also seemed a bit vain or egocentric,as though he had a preconceived notion he was a star player before he actually was..hard to explain..he never seemed to be part of the team, but playing for himself..but his wanting to move on is quite understandable.

i reckon dazzle needs to be cut some slack this early, and will turn out to be more consistent than staker,and that alone has to be a good thing, even if staker becomes a gunplayer for lions-in a way thats irrelevant, because he wasnt for us..maybe just different (club) dynamics at work.

I wouldnt say that Staker played for himself, I think he just lacks concentration. When he is able to stay involved through a whole game he is Adam Goodes like but usually he gets lost and his workrate drops off as a result.

Thats the impression I got anyway rather then him choosing when he decides to play or not. So he is stupid rather then vain lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back