The Official Run Home/Can We Make the Finals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 5 out of 7

It will be tough since we don't exactly have an easy draw coming up.

Freo (H)
Essendon (A)
Port (H)
Geelong (A)
Bulldogs (H)
Brisbane (H)
Collingwood (A)

Its going to be tough. I still think you could sneak in with 12 wins and good percentage!

Crows have a very healthy percentage, I think 12 wins +good percentage might get you into the 8, teams with a shonky percentage would probably need 13.

top 8 and I'll be happy as long as we get the final we are a chance! we are the only team in the AFL to come form out of the top 4 to win the premiership We can make it happen again! this Compition is as close as it's ever bneen 6 teams could win it this year!!

top 8 and I'll be happy as long as we get the final we are a chance! we are the only team in the AFL to come form out of the top 4 to win the premiership We can make it happen again! this Compition is as close as it's ever bneen 6 teams could win it this year!!
Except that it was under a more favourable finals system than now. This system strongly favours top 4 teams and disadvantages 5-8 teams.

It will be tough since we don't exactly have an easy draw coming up.

Freo (H)
Essendon (A)
Port (H)
Geelong (A)
Bulldogs (H)
Brisbane (H)
Collingwood (A)

Its going to be tough. I still think you could sneak in with 12 wins and good percentage!

Come on. Seriously they are all games that are winnable.

Fremantle - went down by a point. Freo will more than likely play youngsters if they lose tomorrow. Will be difficult if they win tomorrow...

Essendon - lost to them Round 1. Can win, Lucas and Lloyd will be interesting though...

Port - won last time. Of course we can't base Showdowns on form, they are a totally different game.

Geelong - came close, just didn't attack enough. Winnable and Geelong have to lose a couple I would have thought.

Bulldogs - won comfortably in round 2. Should do so again as they won't stretch our defence and Stevens, Bock, Perrie, Welsh, Roo, Birdman and Bode should be able to put a reasonable score on the board.

Brisbane - won in Queensland. Should win again. Need to start thinking about playing Griffen as a pernament forward who rucks there me reckons.

Collingwood - tough game in Melbourne. One of the two games I think are likely to lose (the other one being Geelong).

So we are 8-7, and if we win 6 of them we are 14-8 which puts us around 5th with a good percentage!

Fremantle - went down by a point. Freo will more than likely play youngsters if they lose tomorrow. Will be difficult if they win tomorrow...

Essendon - lost to them Round 1. Can win, Lucas and Lloyd will be interesting though...

Port - won last time. Of course we can't base Showdowns on form, they are a totally different game.

Geelong - came close, just didn't attack enough. Winnable and Geelong have to lose a couple I would have thought.

Bulldogs - won comfortably in round 2. Should do so again as they won't stretch our defence and Stevens, Bock, Perrie, Welsh, Roo, Birdman and Bode should be able to put a reasonable score on the board.

Brisbane - won in Queensland. Should win again. Need to start thinking about playing Griffen as a pernament forward who rucks there me reckons.

Collingwood - tough game in Melbourne. One of the two games I think are likely to lose (the other one being Geelong).

So we are 8-7, and if we win 6 of them we are 14-8 which puts us around 5th with a good percentage!
And you are going on a best case scenario there.

However look at our last 8 games, L, W, L, W, L, L, W, W! Harldy consistent footy and we won only half of our last 8 games having played some struggling sides in the process!

Of course we can make it. Its not out of the question but its not exactly a walk in the park. Its a 50-50 at this stage whether we can get some sort of consistency going for the last 7 games and clinth the top 8, let alone top 4 spot!

And they you get to consider all the injuries. Rutten has a badly corked thigh AND a medial strain. Bock struggling with groin injury, Roo's ankle now questionable for next week, Perrie underdone, Porplyzia, Bode et al out injured.

Its possible but we are up against it no doubt!

I think we'll win 5 of those 7 ending up at 13-9. Probably get you a home elimination final. Thats it.

Last night was such a crucial loss though. As have been our other close losses. End up 14-8, with our % you'd more than likely be top 4.

I'm fed up on trying to "predict" this season. It's just a joke.

I did the Ladder Predictor, and if we win the next 2 games (Fremantle at home, Essendon away), and a few other teams' games go our way, then we can be sitting 5th on percentage. It's an amazingly close season.

Having said that, we aren't playing consistent enough footy to be successful in the finals anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your optimism but seriously, based on how inconsistent we've been all year, and going back to the latter stages of last season you couldn't expect us to win any more than half of those games. We haven't been playing consistently good football for a long time now. Probably goes back to the thrashing from West Coast at Subiaco last year. That got me thinking so I've just had a look at the results. At round 16 last year we had 14 wins and 2 losses with an enormous percentage. Then came the Subiaco drubbing. Since then we've won 11 and lost 12 and our percentage would be down around 115. What changed? :confused:

I like your optimism but seriously, based on how inconsistent we've been all year, and going back to the latter stages of last season you couldn't expect us to win any more than half of those games. We haven't been playing consistently good football for a long time now. Probably goes back to the thrashing from West Coast at Subiaco last year. That got me thinking so I've just had a look at the results. At round 16 last year we had 14 wins and 2 losses with an enormous percentage. Then came the Subiaco drubbing. Since then we've won 11 and lost 12 and our percentage would be down around 115. What changed? :confused:

We lost Ricciuto, Biglands, Hentschel, and Bode, and have had periods without Reilly, Johncock, Bassett, McLeod, Burton, McGregor and Goodwin. That's what happened.

These are reasons, though - not excuses. We just aren't up to it this year. We'll sneak in to the finals but we won't impose ourselves on the Top 4. Unfortunately.

We lost Ricciuto, Biglands, Hentschel, and Bode, and have had periods without Reilly, Johncock, Bassett, McLeod, Burton, McGregor and Goodwin. That's what happened.

These are reasons, though - not excuses. We just aren't up to it this year. We'll sneak in to the finals but we won't impose ourselves on the Top 4. Unfortunately.
It's more than injuries though. Even when we've been able to put good sides on the park we've been inconsistent.

It's more than injuries though. Even when we've been able to put good sides on the park we've been inconsistent.

I agree, and our inconsistencies week to week are the result of our inability to get a consistent 22 on the park every week. Look, we can all play the "injury" card - a lot of people call it whinging, I call it realism - but they have played a big part in why we're struggling. We've also lost games that we shouldn't have - Melbourne and Fremantle come to mind. If we win those matches, a loss like last night is less significant.

We just need to stick with them.

Yeah, you guys put the blow torch to us and the Hawks, just got off to a very strong start and didn't give the opportunity for either side to get back into it. The games you have lost they were not played with the same intensity. You had the Saints on toast early in the game, just didn't put enough goals on the scoreboard.

They gave the rest of the competition the knowledge on how to beat us. Other teams are now using our game plan on us.
Our second tier players who were playing above themselves are playing to their expected standard.
Injuries have stopped us fielding a consistent side. Most sides would have struggled with that, look at WC today, only 26 to choose from and see what happens. However even with all our injuries we rarely if ever get flogged. Throw in the odd selection decision or coaching performance and it all goes pear shape pretty quick.

With the way injuries are managed. I cant see the Crows missing the finals. Let alone top four.

Soft tissue injuries are pretty negligable, and managable.

Still think the Cows are top four. I never write them off till they are done and dusted. Never.

Geelong are the big whoofers this year. If Adelaide made a final, or Grand Final against the Cats........i'd almost put my house on Adelaide.

The best Come Backers, Johnny Come Latelys, the AFL has ever seen. :rolleyes:

I have no doubt we'll make the finals, but getting anywhere near a flag will be extremely difficult from here though not totally impossible. I mean if we were to win every game from here on in the field would change again. Just have to wait and hope for the best, we can't do anything more.

97 98

With the way injuries are managed. I cant see the Crows missing the finals. Let alone top four.

Soft tissue injuries are pretty negligable, and managable.

Still think the Cows are top four. I never write them off till they are done and dusted. Never.

Geelong are the big whoofers this year. If Adelaide made a final, or Grand Final against the Cats........i'd almost put my house on Adelaide.

The best Come Backers, Johnny Come Latelys, the AFL has ever seen. :rolleyes:

If we had a fully fit side, then we are definite top 4 material. But as it is, even if we do make the finals we will again be limping into Sep with no chance of being a realistic chance at the flag. I also believe you need to have at least 9 wins after round 14 to be a top 4 chance.

Could we win it from 5-8th?

I think we could still go all the way if a few things fall in our favour, lets face it you need some luck to win any premiership and we havent had too much so far. Obviously this doesnt mean anything about our fortunes that will follow, we'll just ahve to wait and see. Two losses of 1 and 2 points hurt alot but I still reckon if we can squeeze into a highish spot in the second 4, ie 5th or 6th we could do a bit of damage come finals time if we have close to our best 22 on the park. Not saying we'll win the flag from here but we're not dead yet. What do people think?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official Run Home/Can We Make the Finals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back