The Official Run Home/Can We Make the Finals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Could we win it from 5-8th?

I think we could still go all the way if a few things fall in our favour, lets face it you need some luck to win any premiership and we havent had too much so far. Obviously this doesnt mean anything about our fortunes that will follow, we'll just ahve to wait and see. Two losses of 1 and 2 points hurt alot but I still reckon if we can squeeze into a highish spot in the second 4, ie 5th or 6th we could do a bit of damage come finals time if we have close to our best 22 on the park. Not saying we'll win the flag from here but we're not dead yet. What do people think?
Until we can string 3 or 4 wins together it's just not even worth contemplating. It will only end in tears ;)

Before we start talking about winning it from 5th-8th, lets look at the ladder

Fact is, if Hawthorn (unlikely) and Roos both lose, we are only 1 win from 2nd place, with a superior % to every team bar Geelong (and probably Hawthorn) after today.

Yes we need to improve on Friday's performance, but top 4 is not out of the question if we can play the sort of footy we did against the Hawks last week

If we play like we did against the Saints, its all a moot point really.

But history shows its impossible to win it from anywhere but the top 4 under the current finals system.

Until we can string 3 or 4 wins together it's just not even worth contemplating. It will only end in tears ;)
Perhaps I'm the eternal optimist :);) its just that its so even this year that I have the feeling that anything could happen, and yes it will probably end in tears ;)

Before we start talking about winning it from 5th-8th, lets look at the ladder

Fact is, if Hawthorn (unlikely) and Roos both lose, we are only 1 win from 2nd place, with a superior % to every team bar Geelong (and probably Hawthorn) after today.

Yes we need to improve on Friday's performance, but top 4 is not out of the question if we can play the sort of footy we did against the Hawks last week

If we play like we did against the Saints, its all a moot point really.

But history shows its impossible to win it from anywhere but the top 4 under the current finals system.
This is a little cheap but people probably had the same thoughts before we did it in '98. I know its early to talk about where we'll finish, Im talking hypotheticals but all year I've felt we're a 5-8 team.

This is a little cheap but people probably had the same thoughts before we did it in '98. I know its early to talk about where we'll finish, Im talking hypotheticals but all year I've felt we're a 5-8 team.

You do know it was a different finals system back then?

If we had a fully fit list, then there is a slim chance we could win it from 5th or 6th. But considering our injuries, we have no chance. From 7th or 8th, even with a full complement, we are no chance.

Yes you can win it from 5th or 6th. 7th or 8th, probably not. A home final for you would be crucial to get some momentum.

The current top 8 reeks of teams with minimal finals experience. West Coast and Adelaide are the most experience teams regarding finals in there, whilst Port have a lot of youngsters who havent played any/many finals. All the other teams have a question mark in my opinion as to their ability to win tough, hard, uncompromising finals matches, even Geelong.

Whilt Adelaide has fallen over/choked/whatever in the last two years, if you make it, you have the experience and the knowledge that it could be the last chance for your big guns to win another one, possibly your last chance as a club for a few years.

Thats just my opinion.

As much as I try to remain optimistic the best I am hoping for is a top eight finish.
After last years preliminary final loss I remember leaving the ground kind of knowing that we blew our last chance for a while. We needed everything to fall into our favour this year and it hasnt.

You do know it was a different finals system back then?
Yes, and its kind of my point, back then it was still considered very difficult, even impossible to do. The present day system being relatively new means it doesnt mean as much that no-ones done it before (won from outside top 4).

Yes you can win it from 5th or 6th. 7th or 8th, probably not. A home final for you would be crucial to get some momentum.

The current top 8 reeks of teams with minimal finals experience. West Coast and Adelaide are the most experience teams regarding finals in there, whilst Port have a lot of youngsters who havent played any/many finals. All the other teams have a question mark in my opinion as to their ability to win tough, hard, uncompromising finals matches, even Geelong.

Whilt Adelaide has fallen over/choked/whatever in the last two years, if you make it, you have the experience and the knowledge that it could be the last chance for your big guns to win another one, possibly your last chance as a club for a few years.

Thats just my opinion.
Thanks Macca, I think you're spot on.

Thats just my opinion.

Speaking of choking, with your lack of injury to key players, and opposition teams falling down around you, surely a GF appearance would be the least you would expect from here. Anything else, would be......you're familiar with that story.:p

Seriously though. I wish you were right but one thing you fail to take into consideration is our injury to key players. If we did slip into 5th or 6th we would be doing so without Trent H, Biglands, Bassett, Bode and many other playing injured.

Make no mistake about it, I wish you were right but IMO we are no chance. Even to finish 5-6 we would probably need 13 wins, that's 5 wins from our last 7. With a tough draw, and a heap on injuries, I can't see it happening.

Seriously though. I wish you were right but one thing you fail to take into consideration is our injury to key players. If we did slip into 5th or 6th we would be doing so without Trent H, Biglands, Bassett, Bode and many other playing injured.

Most of those you havent had all year anyway though so I dont think they really come into it. Bassett will come back, so will some others. I think youll be right.

Make no mistake about it, I wish you were right but IMO we are no chance. Even to finish 5-6 we would probably need 13 wins, that's 5 wins from our last 7. With a tough draw, and a heap on injuries, I can't see it happening.

Youre draw is full of 50-50s so it could go either way. But as I said, IF you make it, I think you have the experience to beat a lot of the teams ahead of you on the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may sound a bit odd but finishing 5th or 6th might be better for the Crows than finishing 3rd or 4th.

End 5th or 6th and you play the first final in Adelaide against a lesser team. 1st is probably going to be Geelong at MCG.

A home final in the bottom half of the 8 might not be so bad. The problem is having to win a number of tough consecutive games, it will be tough.

It may sound a bit odd but finishing 5th or 6th might be better for the Crows than finishing 3rd or 4th.

End 5th or 6th and you play the first final in Adelaide against a lesser team. 1st is probably going to be Geelong at MCG.

A home final in the bottom half of the 8 might not be so bad. The problem is having to win a number of tough consecutive games, it will be tough.

Good point. But to finish 5th or 6th we still need 13 wins, 5 from the last 7. Given our injuries and our run home, this would be extremely difficult.

v Freo ( Home ) - we should win.
v Essendon ( Away ) - 50/50.
v Port - 50/50.
v Geel ( away ) - Loss.
v WB - 50/50
v BL - we should win.
v Coll - (away) - 50/50

I can only see 2 definite wins.

I can only see 2 definite wins.

I don't know the meaning of definite wins anymore.
I thought that the saints game would have been a definite win. What with, the "experts" not only labelling us as the winners but talking about the game as a certain percentage booster.

Very Very disappointed. 3 days on, still not over it!:thumbsdown:

As for making it to top 4. Unlikely but very possible. And I have this certain hunch that tells me that we'll win the Geelong game.

I know, I know, its at Skilled and all.. But it's just a hunch ok.

Yes we can

Because it is so close this year. West Coast basically did it last year, lost the first final, so therefore they had to play every final game. This year is so close!

WE CAN DO IT!!!! But I'd prefer top 4

Yes we can

Because it is so close this year. West Coast basically did it last year, lost the first final, so therefore they had to play every final game. This year is so close!

WE CAN DO IT!!!! But I'd prefer top 4
Yeah, but their semi final was at home. I see that as the biggest stumbling block with finishing fifth or sixth - you need to win two away games in a row to even get to the Grand Final.

if only we could choose... a knock out semi vs coll at the G doesnt sound very enticing.

Imagine if we beat them though. GOD that would be sweet. I still have a strong feeling that the crows will make the GF this year. I didn't have that feeling in 05/06.

We would at least make it to the semi final if we did finish below the 4. That means we would play someone like Hawthorn or even maybe Kangas. Both very winable.

yes well there is plenty of time for that to happen. If we hit our form soon a GF is a real possibility. Basset coming back for the finals would also be a massive boost.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official Run Home/Can We Make the Finals Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back