The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think Hugh played a good game, but he just fell into the trap that the rest of the team did for 3 quarters picking the wrong option rather than skill execution.

Rewatching the highlights from the North game and I'm struck by the thought that Hippy's only goal of the season is a great example of how exciting our brand of footy is. The goal is at 3:16 here:

From the time Witho wins the hardball 15m out from our goal the ball passes through each of our first 3 picks of the 2016 draft and Richy, who gut-runned from defensive 50 to release the ball to Hippy to finish it off. The whole scoring chain takes 20 seconds to go from one end to the other.

It's such a far cry from a few years ago where we would chip the ball around aimlessly and make far too many skill errors in our defensive 50. We still have a long way to go and a lot to work on but moments like that are why this is such a fun team to follow.

R

It's such a far cry from a few years ago where we would chip the ball around aimlessly and make far too many skill errors in our defensive 50. We still have a long way to go and a lot to work on but moments like that are why this is such a fun team to follow.

Pre-Fagan, I well recall some of the chipping it around in our defensive 50 which often resulted in a horrendous turnover and a gimmie goal for our opponents.

The difference now is that when we kick backwards into defensive 50, we not only look like we know what we are doing but we execute really well.

About the only absolute clanger I can recall in the two games to date was when Rich fluffed a kick in against the Eagles, gifting them a goal. Shit happens.

A big part of this improvement in our back half kicking will of course be due to natural progression in skills but I would think that it's also in no small part to the guys being given a real sense of purpose and instruction by the coaches as to what the point of all this is

Rewatching the highlights from the North game and I'm struck by the thought that Hippy's only goal of the season is a great example of how exciting our brand of footy is. The goal is at 3:16 here:

From the time Witho wins the hardball 15m out from our goal the ball passes through each of our first 3 picks of the 2016 draft and Richy, who gut-runned from defensive 50 to release the ball to Hippy to finish it off. The whole scoring chain takes 20 seconds to go from one end to the other.

What an exciting team we are,keep playing like that and the skys the limit.

Still think Hugh played a good game, but he just fell into the trap that the rest of the team did for 3 quarters picking the wrong option rather than skill execution.
Although some North supporters would have you believe we only won because of the injury to Marley Williams, the efforts in the last quater from Neale, McCarthy, Hugh, Berry, Rich and Witherden were very influential in our win. With a special mentions to McStay and Cam who showed great courage to come back on and compete the way they did.

For the first time I am watching other games and cheering for the team which will most help our position on the ladder and playing finals. For example, given we have beaten west coast I want them to go on a run and beat everyone else as that effectively gives us an extra 4 points over everyone else.

Our never say die attitude.

Two weeks in a row we've been 10 points down more than mid way through the last quarter and we just steamroll our way past the opposition.

I'll be the first to admit that I thought we were done for both weeks, particularly tonight after getting smashed out of the centre and like that, we turn it around and put the brakes on Port doing as they please out of the middle and around the ground.

There's a lesson for me here; keep believing, because these boys do and the results are amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our never say die attitude.

Two weeks in a row we've been 10 points down more than mid way through the last quarter and we just steamroll our way past the opposition.

I'll be the first to admit that I thought we were done for both weeks, particularly tonight after getting smashed out of the centre and like that, we turn it around and put the brakes on Port doing as they please out of the middle and around the ground.

There's a lesson for me here; keep believing, because these boys do and the results are amazing.

Unsure of your situation Dylan, but get along to the G next Saturday arvo if you can and watch us TEAR THE DONS TO PIECES AND YOU CAN THROW THAT LID AWAY AND BE FREE :D

1. WE BEAT PORT :D
2. I didn't get banned this week, even though the urge to sink the boot in was an ever-present concern
3. PORT GUTTER TRASH IS ON DISPLAY IN THE MAIN BOARD MATCH THREAD - evidence of what I have been saying for years
4. HIPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :D
5. I have refrained from GIF BOMBING the Port board (which would lead to a ban, see point #2)
6. CLUGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D
7. LIONS LIONS LIONS LIONS :D

:D

Unsure of your situation Dylan, but get along to the G next Saturday arvo if you can and watch us TEAR THE DONS TO PIECES AND YOU CAN THROW THAT LID AWAY AND BE FREE :D
I'll be there mate, as I do every Melbourne game; next week in a corporate suite, which is never as good as sitting with the Lions faithful.

I'll be there mate, as I do every Melbourne game; next week in a corporate suite, which is never as good as sitting with the Lions faithful.

Well - I guess if you're in a corporate suite you will have to handle the LID issue with some precision.

If required, you can get assistance with that from Lid Management Solutions, who I believe are based in Melbourne :D

So happy for you all. The right people at the top make the world of difference. Even if you run out of steam second half of the year, it’s clear to see what’s building. Brilliant to watch.

Josh Walker, whilst not the best on ground, was immense tonight.

The move down back has done wonders for his career and he is just a really dependable guy down back. Adams has a serious challenge on his hands if he is getting into this side given Andrews and Gardiner are near locks these days and Walker is in career best form.

I'm really happy for Josh and it is evident on social media that he is a really popular club man amongst all his teammates and if he keeps it up will most certainly be offered a new deal to extend his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back