Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Now now, Essendon’s supporters don’t dissipate when the going gets tough. We constantly have high numbers in attendances so hardly richmondesque and go into hiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't your membership in decline after last season? IIRC, in 2020 you lost members, no? And you yourself have stated - in one of these Essendon threads on the main board, I can't remember which one - that Essendon hadn't won a wooden spoon for quite a while prior to 2016. You've a habit of being mediocre, not awful; you provide your supporters with reasons to sign up most years.

If you do wind up opting for the full rebuild experience, it'll be interesting to say the least to see how many members hang around, if things really are as you state.

Richmond were one of the biggest clubs in terms of members despite being awful for 30 years, so I don't know if that's the appropriate analogy, either.

And - I think, for the fifth or sixth time - any interest in discussing the Lions? Have they solved their goalkicking woes late in the season? How are they going to go, having to win interstate again?

One thing I've noticed over the recent pages of this thread is that the Blues supporters have become extremely cocky and think that finals are a given this year.

There's a log jam for those spots and they still have to get past Melbourne, GWS and Freo before they can even take a spot from teams already in the top 8.

Supporters of those 3 teams would expect that their teams will be improving this year as well.

One thing I've noticed over the recent pages of this thread is that the Blues supporters have become extremely cocky and think that finals are a given this year.

There's a log jam for those spots and they still have to get past Melbourne, GWS and Freo before they can even take a spot from teams already in the top 8.

Supporters of those 3 teams would expect that their teams will be improving this year as well.

Don’t tell Carlton supporters that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-season is our time baby !!!!
Give us something........

Why didnt you mention Hawthorn as a finals candidate? Roll the clock forward a year or two - is Geelong the next Hawforn? How far behind are West Coast's geriatrics from teh two above ? Collingwood ex Pendles and Sidebottom in a year or so???

Freo | GWS | Melbourne arent looking do jump over Carlton - they will be looking to beat any side they play - those who played finals in '20 FWTW aren't locks - I reckon the three easier picks for finals next year are Port/Richmond and Brisbane and then St Kilda - the other 4-5 Clubs have a lot of work to do to seperate themselves from each other and the next best three or four.

Roll the clock forward into '22 and it will be more obvious how many '20 finals sides will be on the fast slide down.

Carlton supporters are bullish the next 3-5 years - for good reason - and Melbourne/Freo should be too.

but keep looking backwards if that works for you.

Why didnt you mention Hawthorn as a finals candidate? Roll the clock forward a year or two - is Geelong the next Hawforn? How far behind are West Coast's geriatrics from teh two above ? Collingwood ex Pendles and Sidebottom in a year or so???

Carlton supporters are bullish the next 3-5 years - for good reason - and Melbourne/Freo should be too.

but keep looking backwards if that works for you.
I'll try and reply to your comment the best I can but I'm not sure what you're trying to get across as it's a bit of a ramble.

Hawks aren't a finals chance this year and the vast majority of their fans will tell you that. Hence why I didn't mention them.

Tigers, Port, Lions and Saints should be in the top 5.

Geelong are a massive chance of winning this year. 3 big recruits have come into a side that was runner up.

WCE will be thereabouts but unlikely good enough to win going off the last 2 years of results. Obviously running out of time with the current list but everyone already knows that.

Bulldogs should be better. Pies thereabouts again.

Freo, GWS, Melbourne and Carlton all looking at breaking into the 8 but as I said before, the sides they need to dislodge don't look like they'll to be falling away massively from their efforts last year.

Blues need to find 2.5 games plus 15 percentage extra on last year's efforts to get into the finals this year.

If you take into account the gift the umpires gave your team over the Dockers after the siren, you could say that you need to find an extra 4 wins to get into the 8.

Not a given that your team makes the finals.

^^ calling unpalatable truths 'a ramble' is classic BF speak for "I'm not comfortable with where this line of discussion is going...."

regarding all your narrative re what the past means for the future - like I said keep looking backwards if that works for you....

not a given but an expectation. To make the 8 it means a team needs to fall out. I’m sure there will be a combination of improvement and decline amongst the 17 other teams, but I’m not concerned about that in that the progress that “should” be seen from 2020 to 2021 by Carlton, is making finals.

I meann, we have an under 26 side that would rival our fully fledged open side, and Essendon has about 3 players under the age of 26 who are fit to walk out onto an AFL field and a bunch of soon-to-be retirees. I don't see the comparison.

Essendon are about 6-7 years away from playing finals again, Carlton will play finals this year. There is no comparison.
more of this

Based on what exactly? All 3 of those sides weren't exactly showing a lot of upside in 2020.

Melb will likely end up in the bottom 6

I'll try and reply to your comment the best I can but I'm not sure what you're trying to get across as it's a bit of a ramble.

Hawks aren't a finals chance this year and the vast majority of their fans will tell you that. Hence why I didn't mention them.

Tigers, Port, Lions and Saints should be in the top 5.

Geelong are a massive chance of winning this year. 3 big recruits have come into a side that was runner up.

WCE will be thereabouts but unlikely good enough to win going off the last 2 years of results. Obviously running out of time with the current list but everyone already knows that.

Bulldogs should be better. Pies thereabouts again.

Freo, GWS, Melbourne and Carlton all looking at breaking into the 8 but as I said before, the sides they need to dislodge don't look like they'll to be falling away massively from their efforts last year.

Blues need to find 2.5 games plus 15 percentage extra on last year's efforts to get into the finals this year.

If you take into account the gift the umpires gave your team over the Dockers after the siren, you could say that you need to find an extra 4 wins to get into the 8.

Not a given that your team makes the finals.
GWS minus Williams and Cameron and Carlton plus Williams is +1 win.
saint kilda minus Geary (sad injury) is +1 win.
Carlton plus Williams and Saad v port/Melb in 2020 is another 2 wins.
Carlton with the new additions plus the home game at the MCG v Brisbane is another win.
With a rough look at it that’s 5 more wins without taking into account actually playing teams at home for half the season. Extra game at the G too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Blues supporter thinks the complete opposite !!

If we are serious about being considered a flag contender again then making finals this year has to be the minimum finish achieved to show that we are on an upward curve.

However, a couple of injuries to key players or little further improvement from our mid-tier/up & coming players could completely derail that theory.

I'll be content to say 'we are playing finals' when we have genuinely qualified for them and not a second earlier.

GWS minus Williams and Cameron and Carlton plus Williams is +1 win.
saint kilda minus Geary (sad injury) is +1 win.
Carlton plus Williams and Saad v port/Melb in 2020 is another 2 wins.
Carlton with the new additions plus the home game at the MCG v Brisbane is another win.
With a rough look at it that’s 5 more wins without taking into account actually playing teams at home for half the season. Extra game at the G too.

Lock em in! Not even sure why the afl is bothering to play those games, you can pretty much take those results to the bank.

Don't suppose you've got this weekend's lotto results while you're at it?

Last edited:
Lock em in! Not even sure why the afl is bothering to play those games, you can pretty take those results to the bank.

I am not altogether comfortable with this Noobz0r ....

Lock em in! Not even sure why the afl is bothering to play those games, you can pretty take those results to the bank.

Has to be finals for the Blues in 2021.
Otherwise the Teague Train should be on the scrap heap alongside Greenshoots Brendan.

A 66 game rebuild becomes a little farcical if a club doesn’t see finals after six seasons.
The president said as much this week. Club should reasonably be expecting finals 2021

And I'm not comfortable with you tagging me in this thread, so I guess we're even.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable ..... plus the Av threw me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Back