Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Richmond players who are yet to turn 24, have had the best seasons for Richmond in 2024?

Ralphsmith, Ross, Ryan, Dow, MRJ, Sonsie, Cumberland, Banks, Brown, Green, Blight, Smith, Campbell and McAuliffe have had chances to shine. That could be the nucleus of the team in 3-5 years, along with the 18 year olds you pick up in this year's draft. Gibcus is he can ever get a good run at it.
God that is a a bonafide stinker of a list.

Many years to come of bottom four finishes. The new north melbourne

Richmond players 22 or younger as of now matches played 2024:

Dow 16
Ralphsmith 16
Banks 14
Sonsie 13
Brown 17
Campbell 19
Rioli 9
McAuliffe 8
Trezise 7
Green 6
Smith 3
Blight 3
Gibcus 2
Bauer 2
Clarke 1

Total 136

I was 1 game short. But you better get someone to fact check your fact checking in future. :tearsofjoy:

I trusted you with the Richmond numbers. It was the Geelong numbers you got wrong.

What an imposing list of talent that is. Who would get interest on the open market?

Campbell, Rioli, Brown and Gibcus are probably worth a gamble with a pick in the 30s.

The rest? Yuck. You'd be lucky if you get 1 player better than a fringe C-grader from the lot of them.

I trusted you with the Richmond numbers. It was the Geelong numbers you got wrong.

What an imposing list of talent that is. Who would get interest on the open market?

Campbell, Rioli, Brown and Gibcus are probably worth a gamble with a pick in the 30s.

The rest? Yuck. You'd be lucky if you get 1 player better than a fringe C-grader from the lot of them.

List out the Cats numbers then so we can see if I am in fact wrong.

Yawn. You said 115.

Games played by current under 23s.

Bruhn - 14
Neale - 12
Henry - 20
Holmes - 22
Dempsey - 22
Knevitt - 4
Humphries - 8
Conway - 5
Clark - 15
Clohesy - 2
O'Sullivan - 1

Do you need me to walk you through how that is 125 not 115?

As you were, but the performance of that list gets very shallow past the top couple.

Is that the North Melbourne who has won as many flags as Geelong in my lifetime? Half as many as Richmond?

You keep banging on about ‘your lifetime’ as though we care. I wasn’t born for most of that so what the f**k does that matter to me? I’ve seen north win two flags and the last of them was a quarter of a century ago.

I’ve seen Richmond win 3 - and they were a mighty team. For the rest of my 35 years following the game they have won what, 2 finals? So what the hell do I care about what happened in the 70s, how does that have any impact on what is happening right now or in the last 20 years or so?

You carry these Everest sized chips on your shoulder about the most obscure things: how many points various clubs won finals by - who the f**k cares? Did they win them? Percentage in finals - wow, I bet it matters heaps to the players who featured in both the winning and losing teams on those days. Beating teams in finals in the rare moments that you make them. Well done for essentially only making finals every blue moon.

Your arguments and points of debate would carry so much more weight if you put your effort towards something meaningful.

"Ansty" = fact checking more inaccurate posts by yourself (see the Geelong games 22 and under list) and rationally comparing respective youth after you were the one thread bumping.

The fact that we can get finals matches into players relatively early into their careers is a plus. Development can be tricky in a team that struggles to win 5 games a year. We have evidence of that in recent seasons.

The difference is Richmond required a once in a lifetime bad run with injuries to finish anywhere near the bottom. Our reward is pick 1 & 21 in a strong and deep looking draft. Reverse Geelong and Richmond injury lists this year, and how do you think things would be looking?

Richmond players 22 or younger as of now matches played 2024:

Dow 16
Ralphsmith 16
Banks 14
Sonsie 13
Brown 17
Campbell 19
Rioli 9
McAuliffe 8
Trezise 7
Green 6
Smith 3
Blight 3
Gibcus 2
Bauer 2
Clarke 1

Total 136

I was 1 game short. But you better get someone to fact check your fact checking in future. :tearsofjoy:

That is a grim list.

Is that the Richmond who is poised to take 6 or more picks in the first round of the 2024 NAB AFL draft? And another 2 or more in the 2025 renewal? While Cats take zero in either?
Yes, you have alot of early draft picks and concession draft picks to look forward tp the next decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference is Richmond required a once in a lifetime bad run with injuries to finish anywhere near the bottom. Our reward is pick 1 & 21 in a strong and deep looking draft. Reverse Geelong and Richmond injury lists this year, and how do you think things would be looking?
Tigers wouldn't be top 4. I'd say both in the bottom 6.

Once in a lifetime? It’s happened twice in the last three seasons. West Coast copped it as well.

You do love clinging on to a good old fashioned excuse don’t you.

The worst part is, it’s not even an act. You even try and convince your fellow Richmond supporters that Pies finals wins don’t count because they aren’t by enough points 😂😂😂😂

Once in a lifetime? It’s happened twice in the last three seasons. West Coast copped it as well.

You do love clinging on to a good old fashioned excuse don’t you.

The worst part is, it’s not even an act. You even try and convince your fellow Richmond supporters that Pies finals wins don’t count because they aren’t by enough points 😂😂😂😂

Once in a lifetime per club. Eagles and Richmond are the only 2 clubs who have had to deal with anything on this scale that I can recall in the last 10 years. If it is 2 clubs per decade that is 90 years for it to happen to each club once. There is your lifetime PB.

What has me correctly recognising that the Pies 2023 Premiership was a gimp flag got to do with this?

Once in a lifetime per club. Eagles and Richmond are the only 2 clubs who have had to deal with anything on this scale that I can recall in the last 10 years. If it is 2 clubs per decade that is 90 years for it to happen to each club once. There is your lifetime PB.

What has me correctly recognising that the Pies 2023 Premiership was a gimp flag got to do with this?

Does their flag get rescinded? Just curious? Do wins not count because of margins of victory? I’m just wondering?

When is a win not a win? I thought if you scored more points than the opposition you won

Let me know how they get on in the next month or so.

If they are good then, then they are actually good.
I'm sure they'll be getting on better than getting flogged by the worst travellers in the league - Gold Coast - at their own home ground in a dead rubber (besides sending off heroes...geez their record in such matches is dire).

Everything from here is gravy baby. The most common BigFooty prediction for Geelong in the Ladder thread was 14th. We are a solid chance to do better than that.

Max Holmes is the one that got away. Awesome work by Wells to trade back into the draft with Richmond to snare him with your original pick.

It was the Saints pick originally.

12 clubs had picks in that draft and didn't pick Holmes. Richmond weren't one of them.

Holmes was a brilliant get with pick 20 but the Tigers' strategy was perfectly sound. They turned Jack Higgins and pick 26 into picks 17 & 30 in the stronger 2021 draft and got Tom Brown, who looks a very good player of the future, and Jud Clarke, who has done an ACL but has shown a fair bit of promise in his 17 matches to date. All 3 clubs Saints, Tigers and Cats look to have done well out of pick 20 at the 2020 draft. You wouldn't say that too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Back