Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratingz

He contributed 8 less goals total than the five-years-older Fritsch, playing as his side’s 3rd, and sometimes 4th forward, from two less total home and away games and with 3 of the games he did play adding up to a total of around three-quarters of football.

Spin it any way you want. All that does is just kick the player ratings in the dick yet again.

What's comparing him to Fritsch got to do with anything? Fritsch essentially had his worst year in the AFL, and was playing in a mess of a forward line, in a team struggling with midfield issues as well. Compare him with someone like Jack Gunston in a similar role at 22 in a high scoring top 4 team and see how he comes off. Or Tim Membrey as a 22yo in a similar role for a weak St Kilda team. Henry is not even at the races compared to those guys.

And kicking X goals less or more doesn't itself tell you how well a forward has played, there is a lot more to playing forward than just how many goals you kick....for most forwards anyway.

I mean you are denigrating player ratings, which take into account everything a player does, and next minute you are yourself making sweeping judgements based solely on how many goals a player has kicked.

I'll make sure I keep an eye out for your posts whenever I need a good laugh. Thanks for your contribution.
All good, always know you what makes you bite Smarts. Keep up with that CBA stat. We may be able to pick a Brownlow winner next year by that stat the way you’ve been spruiking it.

And yeah, Guthrie lol.

Yep. Except when injured (remember them? Even some Geelong players have them!) he's currently a solid number 4 mid.

Let's see how he improves. Maybe you'll be as right about Bruhn as you were about Holmes. Is Tom Brown still the better footballer???

Brown has better skills than Holmes. Holmes is a much better athlete. Holmes is of course better overall right now, but don't be surprised if Brown becomes a very highly rated player when he builds his tank.

Bruhn's ratings etc obviously affected by his low time on ground in 2024, but even so, he hasn't had much of a season with 3 coaches votes from 9 games above 80% time on ground.

What's comparing him to Fritsch got to do with anything? Fritsch essentially had his worst year in the AFL, and was playing in a mess of a forward line, in a team struggling with midfield issues as well. Compare him with someone like Jack Gunston in a similar role at 22 in a high scoring top 4 team and see how he comes off. Or Tim Membrey as a 22yo in a similar role for a weak St Kilda team. Henry is not even at the races compared to those guys.

And kicking X goals less or more doesn't itself tell you how well a forward has played, there is a lot more to playing forward than just how many goals you kick....for most forwards anyway.

I mean you are denigrating player ratings, which take into account everything a player does, and next minute you are yourself making sweeping judgements based solely on how many goals a player has kicked.

Because people actually gave Fritsch, from the general feeling I got anyway, a decent pass for his year. He’s a player with reasonable pedigree, he’s far more experienced, and he was basically his team’s number one avenue to goal even if he’s not a traditional key forward.

Jack Gunston is one of the greatest medium forwards of the last 30 years who played in a dynasty side with Sam Mitchell, Shaun Burgoyne, Jordan Lewis, Isaac Smith, Luke Hodge, Tom Mitchell for a while, sending it down his throat 😂😂

Membrey had a great start to his career. No argument.

I’m denigrating player ratings because they’re an algorithm. They DONT take into account everything a player does. They take into account stats mate. That’s it. They’re numbers on a page. They give no context to anything at all. Keep telling yourself there’s something beyond that in them.

Because people actually gave Fritsch, from the general feeling I got anyway, a decent pass for his year. He’s a player with reasonable pedigree, he’s far more experienced, and he was basically his team’s number one avenue to goal even if he’s not a traditional key forward.

Jack Gunston is one of the greatest medium forwards of the last 30 years who played in a dynasty side with Sam Mitchell, Shaun Burgoyne, Jordan Lewis, Isaac Smith, Luke Hodge, Tom Mitchell for a while, sending it down his throat 😂😂

Membrey had a great start to his career. No argument.

I’m denigrating player ratings because they’re an algorithm. They DONT take into account everything a player does. They take into account stats mate. That’s it. They’re numbers on a page. They give no context to anything at all. Keep telling yourself there’s something beyond that in them.

What are football stats other than "what a player does?" They are merely a record of whatever a player does during a match. Without them to guide us we might be fooled into thinking someone like Henry is the 22nd most valuable forward in the AFL because he has kicked the 22nd most goals for the season. In fact what is a player's total goals other than a statistic like any other?

What are football stats other than "what a player does?" They are merely a record of whatever a player does during a match. Without them to guide us we might be fooled into thinking someone like Henry is the 22nd most valuable forward in the AFL because he has kicked the 22nd most goals for the season. In fact what is a player's total goals other than a statistic like any other?

Tom Hawkins kicked 3.3 in the 2011 grand final on paper.

He busted the game apart in reality and ripped it away from Collingwood.

For someone who injects himself with whatever kool aid the Punt Road News sends out in its monthly subscribers survival kit, you sure don’t seem to actually bother watching much football or ever actually apply any situational context to it.

Tom Hawkins kicked 3.3 in the 2011 grand final on paper.

He busted the game apart in reality and ripped it away from Collingwood.

For someone who injects himself with whatever kool aid the Punt Road News sends out in its monthly subscribers survival kit, you sure don’t seem to actually bother watching much football or ever actually apply any situational context to it.

You seem to be labouring under the illusion that I think Player Ratings are a precise and infallible guide to player merit in exact order. No system of rating players will ever achieve that. It is a readily quotable and credibly compiled system that takes into account more than you or I could ever see just from watching casually. So it is a useful guide.

Hawkins didn't kick 3.3 on paper. He kicked 3.3 in the match. Like, he acttually did it. It is just recorded "on paper."

If those goals were contests wins or from difficult positions player ratings would credit him for that on top of the goal. If they were lead out get hit on the chest marks converted from 30 in front, he will get credited for the goal, and players responsible for delivering it to him, blocking for him, and so on will get credited for those actions.

Your obsession with deriding player ratings or statistics is completely irrational. Below is your top 10 in the player ratings by average rating in 2024. Is that a credible top 10 or some random group of players that proves the ratings are rubbish?

1727270724041.png

And here is the bottom 20(far right column is % of time on ground per game played):

1727270933687.png

Last edited:
You seem to be labouring under the illusion that I think Player Ratings are a precise and infallible guide to player merit in exact order. No system of rating players will ever achieve that. It is a readily quotable and credibly compiled system that takes into account more than you or I could ever see just from watching casually. So it is useful.

Hawkins didn't kick 3.3 on paper. He kicked 3.3 in the match. Like, he acttually did it. It is just recorded "on paper."

If those goals were contests wins or from difficult positions player ratings would credit him for that on top of the goal. If they were lead out get hit on the chest marks converted from 30 in front, he will get credited for the goal, and players responsible for delivering it to him, blocking for him, and so on will get credited for those actions.

Your obsession with deriding player ratings or statistics is completely irrational. Below is your top 10 in the player ratings by average rating in 2024. Is that a credible top 10 or some random group of players that proves the ratings are rubbish?

View attachment 2121964

And here is the bottom 20(far right column is % of time on ground per game played):

View attachment 2121965

Jesse Hogan waltzes into the top 7-8 players this season. Nowhere to be seen. Cameron probably does too, truth be told.

You can worship it all you want mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Back