Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Who has the better future prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I could care less about the BS that fills this childish thread but the Cats are easily the closest thing we have to a high powered EPL team in the AFL. The playing field is clearly titled in Geelong's favour just like Man City or any other team in the world that gets to name their own price to get whatever they want.

This is the ludicrous nature of the EPL. The fans of the top teams carry on like they are part of something special but really their competition is geared towards the fail safe mechanics that ensure a perpetually unfair league.

And I'll say it again, Geelong is the closest thing we have in the AFL to the EPL madness.

You realise that if you stayed good, it would have enhanced your odds of having players wanting to join Richmond right?

I could care less about the BS that fills this childish thread but the Cats are easily the closest thing we have to a high powered EPL team in the AFL. The playing field is clearly titled in Geelong's favour just like Man City or any other team in the world that gets to name their own price to get whatever they want.

This is the ludicrous nature of the EPL. The fans of the top teams carry on like they are part of something special but really their competition is geared towards the fail safe mechanics that ensure a perpetually unfair league.

And I'll say it again, Geelong is the closest thing we have in the AFL to the EPL madness.

I'm nervous about the Bailey Smith recruitment and think going after Oliver is probably a mistake.

But getting to read so many utterly unhinged, batshit crazy rants like this one makes me think it's all worth it.

You posted it after the final series ...

Unfortunately, the rest of us just have to accept that the Cats have a really good group of kids.

Fortunately, the rest of us have to accept that the Tigers have such a poor group of kids that they're selling off all their good players to try to get some good kids for the future.
That Henry bloke could make a decent player in my opinion.

You realise that if you stayed good, it would have enhanced your odds of having players wanting to join Richmond right?
That's partly my point. Nearly every other team doesn't continue that great run. Why? Because it's almost impossible to do so. Geelong somehow manages it over and over.

No matter how good other teams can be when they get their moment in the sun, the sun fades and they get recycled back down the ladder. And it happens to pretty much EVERY other team other than the Cats.

Bailey Smith AND Clayton Oliver choose Manchester City. Yeah right. In a competition leveled by the salary cap there must be a helluva lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes in other areas to keep Geelong in endless supply.

I'm sure if this was Sydney or West Coast some new sanctions would be invented to nullify the deals.

You have over 330 posts in this sh*t thread. Just think about that for a moment. Unbelievable.
Is it a shit thread because people think Geelong has better future prospects than Richmond?

That's partly my point. Nearly every other team doesn't continue that great run. Why? Because it's almost impossible to do so. Geelong somehow manages it over and over.

No matter how good other teams can be when they get their moment in the sun, the sun fades and they get recycled back down the ladder. And it happens to pretty much EVERY other team other than the Cats.
Except Sydney and Collingwood have also finished top 4 as often as they haven't since the turn of the century.

What conspiracy theories do you have about them being able to regenerate on the run without the need to spend multiple decades at a time outside the top 8 and being non-competitive?

As I and many many others have said all season, the only 'old blokes' who'd be in our best this year would be Cameron, Stewart and Dangerfield.

Lo and behold that's exactly what happened, only 3 old dudes in the Top 10 of our B&F.

Everyone else is 26 or younger (Zuthrie, Miers, Close, Stengle, Holmes, Dempsey and Henry)

Bailey Smith AND Clayton Oliver choose Manchester City. Yeah right. In a competition leveled by the salary cap there must be a helluva lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes in other areas to keep Geelong in endless supply.

I'm sure if this was Sydney or West Coast some new sanctions would be invented to nullify the deals.

Because we try to. Every team does to a degree but many when they see the writing on the wall decide enough is enough and clean things out. Sydney are the same.

Why should we be sanctioned for it? Because we are going to possibly trade in a new player having not traded in any new player last year?

Hawthorn just finished a game behind us - by a couple of points - and are about to bring in Josh Battle who while not elite is a good strong footballer and Tom Barrass who I would say is bordering on elite. They’d just brought in Jack Ginnivan - a knob but a fairly talented flag player, Massimo Dambrosio, Mabior Chol and Jack Gunston this season.

I’m not saying any of the current versions of those players are as good as what we are trying to get but they’re all - Dambrosio is the best of them and made an AA squad. But what makes their acquisition of 6 players any more fair than our acquisition of 3? We didn’t pick anyone up for this year.

You have over 330 posts in this sh*t thread. Just think about that for a moment. Unbelievable.

I admit needling deluded Richmond fans is a guilty pleasure of mine. You've certainly delivered on that!

With almost 6,500 posts on this site it looks like you've got plenty of shit threads you like to post in too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Meteoric Ruse is all about finals performances, until it's a discussion about a young Geelong player who had an influential final.

Then it's all about home and away performances (where Henry's 'stats' are relatively impressive for a young, mid sized forward anyway).

Oh my.
You see what we have to put with?

Wow, those BnF results for a top 4, preliminary final team are pretty impressive. This one is going to be hard to twist by our Tiggie friends. Maybe the Geelong coaches just manipulated the votes to specifically troll you? :think:

Given their reliance on a conspiracy theory to get through their day to day existence it wouldn’t surprise me if they went there

It's so funny coming back these threads after spending time on the Draft/Trade board.

There = Geelong have such a start-studded list on every line that they MUST be rorting the salary cap!!

Here = Geelong's good players are all old blokes who are out the door, and they have only mediocre B-graders coming through!!

It's got to the point of tedium, like that poster who claimed Geelong is like the "EPL madness"; no, Geelong just do the off-field stuff better than other clubs. It wasn't always the case...

Now, twenty years ago isn't exactly the stone age, so for our idiot friend who thinks Geelong are the evil empire:

1728004760700.png
1728004791399.png
1728004837335.png

Cats B & F placings for young players fake news.

Holmes had an outstanding season, no arguments there, polled appreciably better than recent winners.

The only other 2 young players to finish top 10 were Oli Dempsey, who averaged 3 out of 10 available votes per game played, and Oli Henry, who averaged much the same. Those are nothing results beating nobody of any note who played sufficient games to be in the mix. They beat Blicavs and Jack Henry basically. Wow.

Holmes had an outstanding season, no arguments there, polled appreciably better than recent winners.

The only other 2 young players to finish top 10 were Oli Dempsey, who averaged 3 out of 10 available votes per game played, and Oli Henry, who averaged much the same. Those are nothing results beating nobody of any note who played sufficient games to be in the mix. They beat Blicavs and Jack Henry basically. Wow.

So the 7 guys in the top 9 who are all 26 or under, 2 of whom turn 27 next July, the rest don’t even turn 26 at the earliest until next year, in a sport routinely churning out 32-33-34 year old good, often elite players - should we be concerned that these guys are past their prime?

I guess that’s the question on everyone’s lips, basically.

You're losing your edge MR.

No dig at Holmes' kicking? No mention of the Holmestring issue (gotta say that's one of your best)?

No RaTiNgZ talk???

Geelong make a prelim with 7 of the top 10 in the B&F under 27. Richmond win the spoon with only 4 of the top 10 under 27 and 2 of those are about to leave.

I'd be flat too if we'd just won the spoon and our only good players were walking out on us.

How would you feel being Baker, Bolton, Graham and Rioli?

You're key parts of multiple premierships. You then sign on for unders to try and keep the club successful.

Your coach and CEO blow up the club with awful list management and recruiting decisions then piss off to much more lucrative jobs leaving a mess.

You're left playing at a rabble, running around with some absolute spuds. But keep your standards up and are among the team's best players

Then for daring to not waste the rest of your career at a basket case the dickhead President starts taking pot shots at you

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuilds of Geelong and Richmond and their Future Prospects

Back