The Vent Thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully agree Haso.

The board is clearly at the pointy end of a bottoming-out period and depth is absolutely wafer thin. The new junior talent development pathways of Facebook and Twitter are just not preparing kids for the realities of top-level Bigfooty posting. It doesn't help that the Suns board has had priority access to some of of the best young local posters in the last few years.

The mods will have some brutal list management decisions to make over the season, but I still am hopeful that a few of our struggling posters can turn things around.

I am a firm subscriber to the old adage that you can't really make a definitive call one way or another about a poster until they have at least 55,000 posts under their belt.

Last edited:
Fully agree Hasp,

The board is clearly at the pointy end if a bottoming-out period and depth is absolutely wafer thin. The mods will have some brutal list management decisions to make over the season, but I still am hopeful that a few of our struggling posters can turn things around.

I am a firm subscriber to the old adage that you can't really make a definitive call one way or another about another poster until they have at least 55,000 posts under their belt.
Not that those over 55000 should get complacent. Those seniors still have to pull their weight and not expect to be an automatic in.;)

I remember last time I had gastro...I went through so many pairs of underwear that day.

Yesterday pretty much summed up the season for me: crappy.

Not that those over 55000 should get complacent. Those seniors still have to pull their weight and not expect to be an automatic in.;)

I was ready to pull the pin last year but Lionbear begged me to go around one more season to provide a bit of experience and leadership. I can only do so much with some of the terrible thread service I am getting.

We have some disgraceful posters on this board now. Absolutely disgraceful. No idea about the game at all. No knowledge, no understanding, but still get defensive when they get called out? Disgusting and disgraceful. Some great proclamations being made with a clearly deficient knowledge of the game.

Trolling players for their performance when it's been reported that they are suffering from gastro*******enteritis? Have you ever had gastro? You're lucky to have the energy to get back onto the couch if you fall off.

We have a serious shortage of talent on this board now. The Facebook crowd has well and truly taken over.

I posted this in the old Vent Thread after the Sydney game;
Haven't read the gameday thread, but have read the autopsy thread and this one.
My vent is the number of posters who never participate on this board, (some have been on the forum for many years but hardly post), but always turn up when the team plays poorly to tell us all why we're shit. Never here to discuss the virtues of the club or players or strategies or selections or news or any other views, but always here after a flogging to tip a bucket of shit on the place. Then they have the hide to be surprised or offended that their comments are challenged or rejected.
As I said, I haven't looked at the gameday thread, but I am guessing the same passers through have been in there too chucking their toys out of the cot.
It seems a few are going to continue to show up after every 10+ goal loss.
If you've had nothing to share for the last year or so, I'm not interested in your negative nonsense opinion now.

I was ready to pull the pin last year but Lionbear begged me to go around one more season to provide a bit of experience and leadership. I can only do so much with some of the terrible thread service I am getting.
To be honest, I was really hoping to see one of the kids post there. Some of your posts are taking up a spot of a possible future mod. Some of your opinions are becoming ineffectual and by end of season I think we'll see your spelling and grammar start to suffer. At least I suppose, you still provide a focal point for the opposition posters to direct their rage, while a few of our youngsters sneak under the radar.

To be honest, I was really hoping to see one of the kids post there. Some of your posts are taking up a spot of a possible future mod. Some of your opinions are becoming ineffectual and by end of season I think we'll see your spelling and grammar start to suffer. At least I suppose, you still provide a focal point for the opposition posters to direct their rage, while a few of our youngsters sneak under the radar.
Yep, TBD does draw 2 or 3 of the best opposition trolls week in, week out.

We have some disgraceful posters on this board now. Absolutely disgraceful. No idea about the game at all. No knowledge, no understanding, but still get defensive when they get called out? Disgusting and disgraceful. Some great proclamations being made with a clearly deficient knowledge of the game.

Trolling players for their performance when it's been reported that they are suffering from gastro*******enteritis? Have you ever had gastro? You're lucky to have the energy to get back onto the couch if you fall off.

We have a serious shortage of talent on this board now. The Facebook crowd has well and truly taken over.
Fight you ..........'s I hate peace. Went to the Gabba for the first time last week. It is magnificent. Its a beautiful feeling to be amongst other lions supporters and not overwhelmed by opposition ferals is magic. Face painting and amusements outside for the kids and lion displays on the inside added to the great atmosphere. Plus advertising on taxis, street lights were great. It kills the sterile concrete jungles that are the MCG and Etihad(hate it). The wheel will eventually turn with the team, but most importantly we have a home all to ourselves.

Fully agree Haso.

The board is clearly at the pointy end of a bottoming-out period and depth is absolutely wafer thin. The new junior talent development pathways of Facebook and Twitter are just not preparing kids for the realities of top-level Bigfooty posting. It doesn't help that the Suns board has had priority access to some of of the best young local posters in the last few years.

The mods will have some brutal list management decisions to make over the season, but I still am hopeful that a few of our struggling posters can turn things around.

I am a firm subscriber to the old adage that you can't really make a definitive call one way or another about a poster until they have at least 55,000 posts under their belt.

Its only lions supporters who were members of Big Footy before the threepeat whose opinions count. :)

Its only lions supporters who were members of Big Footy before the threepeat whose opinions count. :)

2,455 posts in all that time? Still can't believe I put you in my Fantasy SuperSpam team.

Get a bloody kick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gastro can come on pretty quickly. Can go from feeling fine to being a human volcano in the space of 8 hours.

I would not be surprised if it all hit after they got to Melbourne.

We haven't had a win at the Gabba this year either don't forget. I am an advocate for looking after the Melbourne fans but I wish some wouldn't take it as a personal slight when the team loses down there.

I disagree.

We never travel with two emergencies. It is clear to me they knew what was going on - the fact that Close was one of the emergencies despite no great reserves form makes that even clearer.

None of the Lions fans around me (who obviously aren't as obsessed about footy as everyone on BigFooty) could understand why Moloney wasn't in such an extremely inexperienced team.

It was very hard to disagree with them, even if he hasn't played well in the reserves in the past couple of weeks. You could probably throw in Harwood and Bewick in that category as well.

I personally just can't see the point of playing so many kids when you know 9/10 you are going to get absolutely thrashed. Not sure it does their development any good; and the morale of the rest of the players plummets as does the fans.

I just don't see how the GWS model is the way to go and never have (despite the extreme number of top picks they have had compared to us). Even GWS have desperately tried to sure up their experience levels this year.

I disagree.

We never travel with two emergencies.

Strong whispers were that Brown wasn't going to play. I suspect that was the reason Close travelled as the second emergency.

I remember last time I had gastro...I went through so many pairs of underwear that day.

Yesterday pretty much summed up the season for me: crappy.

survivor-smile.gif

Bye rounds and this years tv fixture. Tired of the AFL making a mess of my weekend plans.

Totally. I can't wrap my head around Sunday afternoon with no footy to watch. What am I supposed to do while I'm pretending to clean my apartment?

Yeah sorry about the delivery,I have noticed a lot of posts go over the top of your head ;)

This...this is how you do a vent.

This weird privileged thinking of some Melbourne-based supporters that they are somehow entitled to a victory just because the team has Fitzroy ties & it's a personal slight against them if the team doesn't win as if they've done it on purpose.

One reference to the positives thread since it was brought up here...

We shouldn't be expecting soooo much from the 63,000 post veteran...he really does need to pass on the keyboard to the new kids.

So many hundreds of posts to remember from the glory years. I would like to see him make the 70,000 milestone but sadly I don't see it happening... there just are not enough characters and spaces left in those fingers.

The contested posts have dropped off and he really is just relying on muscle memory. The wordsmithing patterns just aren't what they used to be and the repeat efforts in the forward posts just don't draw the "like" ratio they used to.

Please go back to the old server and give us some to those glory days...

I'll finish with a vent then...

I can't believe they won't let us search those old posts on the new host. Those posts are lost for ever.

Every Lions fan deserves better - stand united

Well put western royboy. For some reason we keep creating a divide in our supporter base where there shouldnt be any.

It is hard to take a loss like that, but you need to keep perspective. I know people complain about the senior players, but they have it tough this year. In such a young team they have to adjust their game and lead the younger guys. They basically cant just go out and play their natural game this year. Its no wonder we have lapses in mental concentration in red time, it would be mentally exhausting.

Yeah point taken. I wasn't deliberately trying to be devisive.

I just posted my vent - in the vent thread by the way - because I was frustrated / angry. Our continued poor form in Victoria gets to me - it is frustrating knowing that Lions fans down here had to wait 9 round to see their team play live and then copped an embarassing display.

Many of us on Big Footy can cop it, but it scares the shit out of me that we are decimating our future fan base (in Victoria and in QLD).

By the way, as I do every so often, I just had a look at the Lions record since the end of 2009 in matches played in QLD, VIC and elsewhere. The annecdotal perceptions are well and truly born out, and at the same time completely unsurprising that we play much better at home (what is unclear is why we seem to do better in away matches outside of Victoria [which don't include QLD games]).

QLD
= 22 wins and 30 losses, for a winning percentage of 42.3.
6 out of the 30 losses were over 50 points (20%), while the average losing margin was 31.4 points

VIC
= 4 wins and 20 losses for a winning percentage of just 16.7
11 out of the 20 losses were over 50 points (55%), while the average losing margin is 44.9 points

Elsewhere
= 6 wins and 14 losses, with a winning percentage of 30
6 out of the 14 losses were over 50 points (42.9%), although the average losing margin is actually 51.9

No doubt it has been extra frustrating for the Vic faithful, but it's nothing personal, we just arent playing Vic well. Would help if we played there more ;)

Hopefully we can start building some good form at home, then start spreading that to the away games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back