The Vent Thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact TBD has been around for so long he is considered to be legendary ... people are actually surprised to find that he is still alive and posting!

Im still of the opinion that he isnt a real person, more like a collective of AI that roams forums like BF, praying on helpless trolls and trying to settle arguements from 5 years ago.

To think I saw the Hammo electric boogaloo thread and came in here thinking I was safe....

I need to vent about all the Victorian supporters in the COLA thread on the main board. I am so sick of the blantant ignoring of Victorian clubs and their payments outside of the salary cap with 3rd party agreements. Its absolutely ****ing madness that people don't even recognise how much of a difference this can make and how it effects equalisation. Grrrrrr!!!

Yeah but when you have Sydney waving around their cap privileges like drunk sugar daddies at a strip club, I don't blame anyone for jumping on the bandwagon of "no benefits for interstate teams".

They've really made things difficult, for themselves & others.

Yeah but when you have Sydney waving around their cap privileges like drunk sugar daddies at a strip club, I don't blame anyone for jumping on the bandwagon of "no benefits for interstate teams".

They've really made things difficult, for themselves & others.

If the AFL was proactive and not it's usual reactive self they would have fixed how Sydney used the COLA and not allowed them to toss the chequebook around, and instead do what they are planning to with helping the players on a base salary. If I was in Sydney's position I would have done exactly the same thing though in trying to get top players there with extra cash so can't blame them.

If the AFL was proactive and not it's usual reactive self they would have fixed how Sydney used the COLA and not allowed them to toss the chequebook around, and instead do what they are planning to with helping the players on a base salary. If I was in Sydney's position I would have done exactly the same thing though in trying to get top players there with extra cash so can't blame them.

I don't disagree (I think) up to a point. I'll use another (probably inept) analogy. Up until recently, Japan sent out whaling boats with "RESEARCH" printed on the side. Everyone under the sun suspected that the boats weren't actually harpooning whales for research, but hey, if them's what the rules say, good luck to them. I can't morally give props to Sydney for harpooning big fish just because "COLA" is written on the side of their ship. Yeah, the regulators should have stopped it, but the whole thing is a pile of crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I read somewhere that the AFL are planning on helping with the increased cost of rent for players on less than $300k a year (to the tune of $15k per year by the way).

Gee, those poor bastards. Perhaps we should all chip in to help them out.

Personally I can't stand the Sydney COLA argument except for very low paid players, it is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone on say $100k+ certainly has the opportunity to invest their money in the Sydney property market - and if history is any guide, get very handsomely rewarded for it.

The fact Sydney will continue to get $300k extra per year seems pretty putrid when we are still struggling to even been allowed to pay 100% of the salary cap (not sure if we have even got there yet after all the talk / shit that happened with the Board & AFL late last year).

The Giants should not be given a blank cheque of $1m extra going forward either - especially if the other Non-AFL state teams don't get it.

And the 3rd party payment crap from teams (especially the big teams) in AFL states is just a joke.

All of it combines to be a huge reason why we will probably struggle to be super-competitive going forward unless there are dramatic changes to equalisation / fairness of the competition. It seems to me that the AFL has become increasingly dominated by the well off clubs recently - a trend that shows little sign of abating.

Are they now doing away woth COLA completely, or adjusting it? Thought the last I heard was Sydney was losing control of it, and the bottom half paid players on their list were getting basically a bonus payment to offset cost of living.

The frustrating thing about the mooted changes to the COLA is that they'll do an excellent job at helping Sydney retain second and third year players who might otherwise consider seeking a trade back to their home state.

Now, if they want to head back, they'll have to forego $15,000 a year in 'rent assistance'.

It almost feels like the AFL have decided that the important thing is that the go-home five never happen again...at any club but ours.

It almost feels like the AFL have decided that the important thing is that the go-home five never happen again...at any club but ours.

It really is starting to feel like we are the "control group" in a clinical trial into ways to cure frontier clubs from being noncompetitive.

The Giants, Suns and Swans are getting a cocktail of fancy cutting-edge treatments and we are just getting the placebo in the form of a pat on the head and "you'll be okay" platitudes from AFL House.

Are they now doing away woth COLA completely, or adjusting it? Thought the last I heard was Sydney was losing control of it, and the bottom half paid players on their list were getting basically a bonus payment to offset cost of living.

This is the Age article from a few days ago that sparked the renewed debate.

I don't think anything has been officially confirmed by the AFL though.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ut-rent-subsidy-on-way-in-20140520-zrj5l.html

I was tossing up between posting on the vent thread & the go home 5 thread, but I feel like venting so I thought it should go here. Is anybody else watching Polec carving it up against the Hawks tonight & crying? I am.

I was tossing up between posting on the vent thread & the go home 5 thread, but I feel like venting so I thought it should go here. Is anybody else watching Polec carving it up against the Hawks tonight & crying? I am.
Crying? Hell no.

Disappointed that he couldn't achieve this with us? Yes.

You won't be crying when Aish and Taylor start doing the same thing Polec is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back