Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ErnieSigley that is a crap answer and you know it. How will a new coach make the players fitter and able to run out 4 quarters... Please explain how you can make 16 players with one, two or three years experience instantly able to run for 120 minutes in one of the most demanding sports on the planet.

They won't be BMac...

TzCk0VA.png

Should be asking who have we drafted or traded for in the past 2 years that is very good by foot, a decision maker and/or fast.
Add they aren't 29yo.
A lot easier to teach someone appetitive for the ball than it is teaching them to run faster, make the right decisions and kick better.

I think tom scully and jack watts are two prime examples of how its actually harder to teach an appetite for the football rather than skills, players like Toby Greene and clay smith have contributed far more to their respective teams because of their mentality towards playing and finding the football rather than their skills. Callan ward also showed this in comparison scully just this weekend. Watts and scully are far more skilled players than these 3 but don't have the right mindset to play afl football and im sure their coaches are trying to teach the right mindset, which i think is something you have or you dont and generally you can tell that in a footballers first season of football (Ollie Wines). Wines is probably not as skilled as say whitfield or toumpas but has shown a better mental attitude than both and is seen as arguably the best first year player in the afl. Attitude first and foremost and with the right mindset and mentors can these skills be improved.

I was really upset with Saturday's game tbh. Furious. I never got excited even when we hit the front because i felt like we only really controlled the game for about 10-15 minutes, some of our blowouts last year we controlled for a half of football like Sydney, Geelong games.

Also i feel like we really shouldn't have fallen away like we did. We weren't that young and one 6 day break wouldn't have done that much. several maybe.

The game made me think that if Jmac has a special bond with James Frawley then that would be bloody great. Wouldn't mind locking in another genuine key back. We're struggling to keep Roughead on the genuine gun forwards for long enough because of so many freakish ruck forwards these days.

Despite the pessimism i felt on Saturday i feel like it was mainly because our rays of light really weren't there. Our better players were Murphy and Griffen ffs. I wanted more that i could take into the future. I'll take a 50 point loss if our young guns are firing but really apart from 2 screamers Jones had his pants pulled down. Roughy was good on Drew but it's not really something that you could enjoy a red wine over, not a perfect game. Libba is going to be a jet and didn't get going like he has. Wallis losing form really hurt. I'm putting this year down to the "effective second year blues" this is the year that he is going to get more attention than any other year. He needs to work through it.

My ticks were maybe Dahl, definitely Young and definitely Lower.

On the whole though i have no doubt our players are developing and they are good. We could do with more as we'll get more but we have a bunch of kids all improving. Saturday just wasn't a good example. I'll stick with Macca just to the end of his contract because it's pretty clear to me that our kids are coming through well. -Compare Stringer and Macrae's first few games to those of Toumpas. Similar talents- hugely different outputs, and it's because of the system they're in.

In summary, as long as the players are coming along i don't mind. Results don't matter MUCH in the next year and a half. Saturday hurt because we really didn't see much from our kids. Having said that, our two key posts were being held by players that have come a LONG way since his arrival, and although they didn't set it on fire, they will be in 25 more games and with their midfield teammates getting the same experience.
Frawley would be excellent. Although many have said he doesn't pass the "macca good bloke" test. The guy is a genuine gun key back and would be fantastic to have roughie and frawley locked in as chb/FB for the next 6/8 years.

Also frees Williams to play forward, or to play Roughie forward and Williams back if required.

I think it's safe to say we fall into four categories:
1. He's will be a great coach
2. I'm not sure, I rate him but wait and see
3. I'm prepared to give him time but I don't think he has it
4. Sack him now.

I'm in group three. I don't really reckon he has what it takes, but I'm willing to wait and see and hope to be proven wrong.

4. Sack him now.

I'm in group three. I don't really reckon he has what it takes, but I'm willing to wait and see and hope to be proven wrong.
Nice. Lets all nominate a category and be done with it. Category 3 for me as well.

Nice. Lets all nominate a category and be done with it. Category 3 for me as well.

2 for me, we don't have the players at the moment, tough to prove how good the coach is, for instance buckley has a team full of great players but so far has proven a poor coach, we are at the other end, but still not 100 percent confident and when i mean 100 percent confident i mean premiership.

4. Sack him now.

Category 2 here

ErnieSigley that is a crap answer and you know it. How will a new coach make the players fitter and able to run out 4 quarters... Please explain how you can make 16 players with one, two or three years experience instantly able to run for 120 minutes in one of the most demanding sports on the planet.

We have massively improved our fitness staff this year/end of last year - we have professionals with a wide and diverse background in sports science and strength and conditioning. If they say that the kids need more time and we can only get a certain output from them, who the hell are we to argue.. We are risking their long term future by pushing them any harder (a particular risk for someone like Stringer).
Who said fitter?
I said competitive for 4 qtrs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I,m a no 2 here ,I think he is a good developer of kids with good communications.

I think he needs a better no2 who is a good taticioner.

I,m a no 2 here ,I think he is a good developer of kids with good communications.

I think he needs a better no2 who is a good taticioner.

I think he would benefit greatly from a clear number 2 coach as ll similiar to mark thompson, problems are 1 who such as paul roos, mark williams, or other established coach would join and 2 we need that tactician to share same football philosophies as macca. But i think its probably required if we have a poor rest of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back