Thoughts on the Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame people for being upset at Tippett either. But you have to look at what he has to face (as opposed to Tex). He is more often than not double teamed. Every time the ball comes near him, he is almost molested to death, yet he rarely draws a free. His intensity is far greater than Walkers even when he doesn't have the ball, it doesn't take a genious to see that.

Having only watched the first half so far, I can't help but be impressed. Particularly considering:

* the game against Brisbane was played on Sunday in Brisbane in 28 degree heat with only 20 fit men for three quarters... Collingwood played on Friday night at the MCG. So this was our 2nd away game in a row and had 2 days less rest (typical AFL scheduling AGAIN). Not surprising we had no legs in the final quarter.
* our boys tried their hearts out.
* Johncock had a blinder of a first half.
* Our babies did a great job.
* I saw VB leading (pointing to position several times).

So proud of our boys and our coach - all played with passion and desire.

Do you just cut and paste this stuff from one week to the next?

One thing I would criticise Tips for is how easily and often he goes to ground. Happens far too often and far too easily. Love to see him get that out of his game. This is one area Walker is streets ahead. He is always on his feet.

Now the diving on a loose ball situation there is some merit and tips to get the ball and clear works for me there. He often goes to ground in ground level contest though which is not good footy.

One thing I would criticise Tips for is how easily and often he goes to ground. Happens far too often and far too easily. Love to see him get that out of his game. This is one area Walker is streets ahead. He is always on his feet.

On that note, did you see the column on the back page of the Record? Whatsisname talking about how he reckons that fall-overs should be part of Champion Data stats and that we're seeing a meteoric rise in them as we see the rise in tackles, etc. He wanted a measure of them for the last few years to compare and factor into AFL rules decisions.

Er... yeah. That wasn't off-topic at all.

Well if the opposition wasn't plain allowed to throw the ball for it's clearances the game would of been an easy win..

This is how adelaide play when they come up against quality opposition... They lift to be competitive it's ridiculous they don't put in this sort of effort for a lower level side as all they strive for is to be competitive.
Being competitive is crap, if your going to be competitive with every side in the comp your not going to be dominant and your going to get yourself into all these close games with not just the top sides.
The way adelaide goes about it they can dominate the top sides but they seriously are just happy to be in the game with them... They have been all over geelong, the bulldogs and collingwood and failed to get the scores on the bored due tot he way they go forward. They should have smashed these teams and if they can get uptoa position where they can beat these guys being consistant would mean lower side thrashings...

It is clearly not a matter of the personel, they play a brand of footy that can beat any team in the comp when they put in the effort. Just like with their kicking at goal it's a mental thing. Stupid decisions and going off the boil cost this game and many others this season.

Young was exceptional Danger could use some decision making simulations or something...
Passing backwards to maric to go back inboard should never be part of the play book.
Short kicks to contests need to go away.
Players need to stay down more often in forward contests and need more awareness of each other, collingwood scored at least one goal from adelaide players contesting the ball between themself and if they weren't pushing wide to the boundary so much perhaps more. Their points are simply because of where they took their shots from..
The 60%+ play on will win adelaide countless games if they push on with it.

Can't blame people for being upset at Tippett either. But you have to look at what he has to face (as opposed to Tex). He is more often than not double teamed. Every time the ball comes near him, he is almost molested to death, yet he rarely draws a free. His intensity is far greater than Walkers even when he doesn't have the ball, it doesn't take a genious to see that.

Anyone in an aerial contest with slow ball movement has several contesting opponents even porplyzia gets that attention.
The opposition doesn't descriminate their defenders are simply going to where the ball is being directed.

And you really are dreaming.
Tippett rarely lays a tackle. Walker chases for very long periods of time....
Earlier in the season when the scapegoating was first rearing its head walker had 12 tackles tipett 1 from a ruck contest mind you, the mid fielder cook 5 and guess who is dropped for lack of defensive pressure? at the same time the highest tackle count was about 20 or so from goodwin or thompson.

You guys really have some subroutines put in your head that have nothing to do with reality. Walker chased around 3 collingwood players on countless occasions during the game, why was he the only guy on 3 players? Strange.
He's not as quick as hendo but he sure as hell does a lot more defensive work then tipett, tipett may be trying but he is just not very good at getting a tackle on a player due to poor lateral movement and the amount of times he goes to ground much like Doughty and McKay who seem to love being on the floor Mckay even diving in the path of his own team to spoil them just to be on the ground.

You might want to as well just consider how one of walkers goals came abouts? could it of been due to him intercepting a kick-in defending no??

I really do encourage you to people to stop looking to scapegoat walker by discounting the defensive work he does put in for any time you see him mess up. His issue at the moment is holding onto his marks finding space and kicking straight...
The same with Tipett they need to be marking in their hands they are for damn sure strong enough yet they keep being timid or going for the chest mark and are more easily spoiled when not using their reach.

As well Danger is playing not so great but he's still getting the ball out and making things happen from positions where our iddy biddy mids would have no chance.

Posters who favorably compare Walkers game to Tippets by stating that Walker scored more goals are dreamin'
Walker has no intensity.
Tippet is all intensity.

Preying mantis like intensity. He will sure as hell defend frantically if you run right into him.
So as a forward that failed to kick goals also from a very small distance out and went to ground when defensive pressure was required, his game was better due to him seemingly really wanting to do better then he did yet not actually doing so?
You can be intense as you like laying on the ground but that stuff is better suited for pay per view movies.

The issue here seems like you guys expect to see a certain expression from walker, if someone could get in touch with him and tell him to look like he is more worried perhaps then you would be satisfied. Hell that must be why ablett is so good he is always looking worried.

The guy chases he's just not that damn quick, figure it out already.
How often does rutten chase down a running player, hell how often does anyone stop several players that are on their feet playing keep me offs and not just tackle one of them and the other runs away.

If walker went and put himself out of pressuring the next player by tackling inanely his tackle count would be higher and he'd look like he was doing more I guess and people would look at something else to be disatisfied with.

There is a lot of pressure on these forwards and they are not doing to well with it...They are rolling in entrees and not getting the scores up they lack the experience working together and they worry themself out of easy shots.

Walker and Tippett's stats aren't all that different this year (although a couple of important ones stand out):

Tackles: Tippett (34) Walker (29)
Score: Tippett (44-31) Walker (32-27)
Average Possessions per game: Tippett (9) Walker (11.7)
Goals Contributed: Tippett (55) Walker (37) **
Hitouts: Tippett (167) Walker (2)

** The goals contributed include the goals they've personally kicked, and goal assists. Walker has kicked 32 goals and only contributed to 5 others, whereas Tippett has kicked 44 goals and contributed to 11 others (the team thing).

The hitouts obviously favour Kurt... but it shows that his role is a lot more demanding that that of Walker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can be intense as you like laying on the ground but that stuff is better suited for pay per view movies.

The issue here seems like you guys expect to see a certain expression from walker, if someone could get in touch with him and tell him to look like he is more worried perhaps then you would be satisfied. Hell that must be why ablett is so good he is always looking worried.
:D More gold from kickin_goals :thumbsu:

Walker and Tippett's stats aren't all that different this year (although a couple of important ones stand out):

** The goals contributed include the goals they've personally kicked, and goal assists. Walker has kicked 32 goals and only contributed to 5 others, whereas Tippett has kicked 44 goals and contributed to 11 others (the team thing).

The hitouts obviously favour Kurt... but it shows that his role is a lot more demanding that that of Walker.

But Walker has played 4 less games than Tippett. If you take that into consideration their output is pretty similar over the season. Bear in mind also that 70% (random high number based on subjective watching of games rather than objectively checking champion data) of our forward entries go to Tippett.

Got any stats on how often they are both forward line targets?

I do think Tips contested work is good - but equally as good is Walkers ability to play it smart around the contest and be avaialble for the goal. Walker has easily been the best crumber off Tipsy this year IMO.

kickin_goals - enjoyed your rant but the comment on the interception thing.. umm wasn't that Tippy getting his hands on a kick in for Young to goal? And then Walker got on the end of a Jolly fumble? (haven't watched the whole game yet but fairly sure on those tow points).

If it was walker getting his hands on the kick-in for the young goal then it only adds further credence to your argument - well done and carry on?

But Walker has played 4 less games than Tippett. If you take that into consideration their output is pretty similar over the season. Bear in mind also that 70% (random high number based on subjective watching of games rather than objectively checking champion data) of our forward entries go to Tippett.

more like 20-25% (it's not like Walker & Tippet are the only palyers in the forward 50) But surely arguing Tippett is on the receiving end of more forward entries is only arguing Tippett leads better? I'm not sure your argument takes you where you were wanting to go.

more like 20-25% (it's not like Walker & Tippet are the only palyers in the forward 50) But surely arguing Tippett is on the receiving end of more forward entries is only arguing Tippett leads better? I'm not sure your argument takes you where you were wanting to go.

I'm actually thinking of all the forward entries we bomb on top of Tippett's head (often when Walker is leading as well) as opposed to when Tippett leads. And I'm also not neccesarily talking about when Tippett actually gets on the end of it - more so the huge number of times we bomb it on his head and it comes to ground a rebounds out of our forward 50. What I'm actually saying with my argument is that his stats (ie goals/ goal assists) stand up pretty well compared to Tippett when you take into account that he is our second target inside 50 - if more entries go to Tippett then the fact that Walkers stats are comparable shows how well he's actually doing. Not to mention that in terms of tackles, if you look at the fact Walker has played 4 less games, the numbers are pretty similar.That's my point.

Well that shows even more clearly that Walkers stats this year compare very favourably with Tippett's.

Certainly a much more rational starting point for comparison than completely made up statistics.

Personally, i think both Tippett and Walker both have a fair bit of work to do. Both are exciting and I think in time should be great, but on Saturday night both had shockers and showed they arent up there with best just yet.

Certainly a much more rational starting point for comparison than completely made up statistics.

Personally, i think both Tippett and Walker both have a fair bit of work to do. Both are exciting and I think in time should be great, but on Saturday night both had shockers and showed they arent up there with best just yet.

Jenny's stats weren't made up, they were mostly raw totals without taking into account number of games played which was my initial point. That when comparing stats you have to look at average per games played. You can't just say Walker has 28 tackles, Tippett 33 therefore Tippett tackles more than Walker which was the intial argument.

i seriously love the fact you only post here after a loss

turncoat....

What a stupid statement. The only one you can call up is Brisbane, because I was travelling during that game.

Pathetic attempt at a personal attack.

Having only watched the first half so far, I can't help but be impressed. Particularly considering:

* the game against Brisbane was played on Sunday in Brisbane in 28 degree heat with only 20 fit men for three quarters... Collingwood played on Friday night at the MCG. So this was our 2nd away game in a row and had 2 days less rest (typical AFL scheduling AGAIN). Not surprising we had no legs in the final quarter.
* our boys tried their hearts out.
* Johncock had a blinder of a first half.
* Our babies did a great job.
* I saw VB leading (pointing to position several times).

So proud of our boys and our coach - all played with passion and desire.

Excellent post Jen61. :thumbsu:

My stats were taken from Footy Wire. Who would just make up stats to support an argument???

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back