Thoughts on the Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker and Tippett's stats aren't all that different this year (although a couple of important ones stand out):

Tackles: Tippett (34) Walker (29)
Score: Tippett (44-31) Walker (32-27)
Average Possessions per game: Tippett (9) Walker (11.7)
Goals Contributed: Tippett (55) Walker (37) **
Hitouts: Tippett (167) Walker (2)

** The goals contributed include the goals they've personally kicked, and goal assists. Walker has kicked 32 goals and only contributed to 5 others, whereas Tippett has kicked 44 goals and contributed to 11 others (the team thing).

The hitouts obviously favour Kurt... but it shows that his role is a lot more demanding that that of Walker.

I'd suspect the two (hitouts and goals contributed) are interconnected Jenny - think of a boundary line throw in where Kurt manages to tap it straight down to a small who rams it home for a goal. Given the number of rock contests he gets to participate in, and the effectiveness of that play in the last 2 seasons, I'd expect Kurt to have a few goal assists. (I recall a classic one in the Richmond game where he fed Thompson for a goal in the 1st term).

Goal assists are important - but in some ways score assists are more important. If a player drills one on to the chest leading forward who then shanks the kick, is that a less important contribution than someone who gets a handball through to a running player who dobs an unlikely goal from 50 metres on the boundary?

I'd also dispute that Walker's role is less demanding than Tippett's, especially the amount of time he's played closer to a CHF role than he'd be used to this year.

Having seen the game and the replay, I'm torn.

3/4 of me is pumped at the general performance, the well thought out game plan against Collingwood's wing/flank oriented approach, and the intensity for the most part.

1/4 of me is frustrated that it's the same old story and the same old bad habits when we are under pressure. We look worse than Michael Bevan when we are on the back foot, and the ponderous possession footy across half back kicks in unitl we cough it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the Collingwood Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back