Thoughts On The Port Game (post game)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am posting this now as I have to go out soon ...... :eek:

The key things sticking out to half time:

1. Port are more agressive at the ball and man than we are

2. Port are playing a more attacking game than us ......FFS why as soon as the pressure kicks in we go into our shell and start kicking the ball backwards SO DEEP ....:mad:

As commentators said it simply is giving Port time to build a wall around the centre line

There are serial offenders with Doughty the top of my list who simply kicks backwards more than forwrds and has lost the ability to take the game on

This kicking backwards and re-building the attacking game to me is the antithesis in players mind of attacking footy .......players who are in an attacking mindset DON'T PLAY THE SAFETY PLAYS WE CONTINUALLY DO

3. Rutten is in the least agressive and poorest form of his AFL career ......he is as soft as marshmellow and is playing like "jane"

4. Our youngsters are finding Ports "heat" too much ATM ......Otten is all class offensively but his defensive action needs work and he is seeing currently the need to strengthen his upper body ......getting out muscled regularly

5. Stiffy in AA form !!!!

6. Thompsons and Reilly's best games for the season

7. Walkers lack of defensive "intent" is glaringly obvious .......the games pace has him all at sea

Didn't think we'd get near it tonight to be honest - tipped Port by 4 goals - and overall we weren't good enough.

Concerned about McLeod. I know he hasn't had an awful year, but his influence has been severely curbed.

A disgraceful forward setup. Streaming from half back in numbers... look up... backpedal... slip over... turn over... because there is literally nothing there.

Walker will probably get dropped. I'd keep him there another week, but someone like Moran will come in.

Our skills are very, very poor. If we're honest, we've played 3 first-class quarters of football in the last 16 (2nd and 4th vs Fremantle, 3rd vs Geelong) and the rest has been sub-par. Our soft wins over a dismal Fremantle and Melbourne overshadowed our ability to inexplicably turn the ball over under little pressure, and this was exposed against better sides.

We're WLWLWL - a very good indicator of our form. It'll be a typical Adelaide year - beat the average teams, and lose to anyone who puts pressure on.

Smashed in the ruck.

Glad we fought it out until the death even though we kicked a few in junk time when Port had put the cue in the rack.

(Hows that three cliches in one sentence)

I love Andy Otten.
+1.

Also Petrenko. Awesome game from the youngster 3 HTB decisions for him if i recall correctly.

Anyway other points.

1. DOUGLAS, he infuriates me, especially during this game.. Makes too many stupid decisions.
  2. Goodwin goes missing too easy for someone who is captain of the club.
  3. Porplyzia is a star, he honestly cannot miss, ever.
  4. We need to harden up and also make sure the tackles we lay stick.
  5. Chad 'goosestep' Cornes needed to be tagged. (for the crows, not my supercoach team:p)
  6. Vince is born to play in showdowns.
  7. We looked lazy at times, and it's almost as if the crows don't care about the showdown. Barely any gutsy efforts, Craig needs to drill it into them how much it matters.
  8. Stevens needs to step up, he doesn't look right after the McPharlin incident.
  9. Old man Tredrea carved us up in the first quarter.. If he is kicking goals against us you know that means that there are problems.
  10. I guess this game shows us where we REALLY are.

Positives
Otten, Bock, Petrenko and Vince (BOG)

Game Plan
Zone, couple issues 1. we zone back too deep which breaks down any forward structure, this is why we have no one to kick too when we move the ball forward. 2. we do not put enough pressure on the ball carriers in our zone and this is also why our zone breaks down

No Plan B, I would like to mix it up more and go man on man for periods in the game

Once again we kicked less than 100 points this must be a real concern

Clearances
Port are ranked 16th in the league for clearances and they smashed us tonight in this area, this hurt us badly

Tackling
FFS can we get a tackling coach to the club, we give away to many sloppy frees

Walker
Yes he is a talent, yes he is young and yes he will benefit from having some bigger more experienced forwards next to him, however he needs to start flying for everything, Griff was obviously not happy with Taylor pulling out of a marking contest, he needs to stop chasing the cheap goals

Macca
Is a legend and champion of our club however over the past couple of weeks he has not look interested

The game plan just doesn’t work against good to excellent sides. it only works when the opposition givers us the central corridor or against crap opposition. We were very lucky to escape the Fremantle game and only won because they were so inept and Melbourne was just plan awful. We beat Collingwood round 1 as they were still asleep.

this game plan is plain awful and isn’t working.

On the upside (yes I searched hard to find one, but I managed to! :p) :

• A very valuable game for our youngsters to experience real pressure.
  • We didn't lose by a gazillion which is amazing when you consider how poor we were.
  • We didn't lose by a gazillion despite our "senior" players playing relatively poorly. Full credit to the guys for seeing it through to the bitter end.
I don't know if I'm on the right track, but I can't help thinking that this new handballing at any cost game plan is being persisted with to see which other game plans it can defeat (or not). There is no other possible explanation for it is there?

Thought Craig was caught short tonight with his match-ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
Otten, Bock, Petrenko and Vince (BOG)

Game Plan
Zone, couple issues 1. we zone back too deep which breaks down any forward structure, this is why we have no one to kick too when we move the ball forward. 2. we do not put enough pressure on the ball carriers in our zone and this is also why our zone breaks down

No Plan B, I would like to mix it up more and go man on man for periods in the game

Once again we kicked less than 100 points this must be a real concern

Clearances
Port are ranked 16th in the league for clearances and they smashed us tonight in this area, this hurt us badly

Tackling
FFS can we get a tackling coach to the club, we give away to many sloppy frees

Walker
Yes he is a talent, yes he is young and yes he will benefit from having some bigger more experienced forwards next to him, however he needs to start flying for everything, Griff was obviously not happy with Taylor pulling out of a marking contest, he needs to stop chasing the cheap goals

Macca
Is a legend and champion of our club however over the past couple of weeks he has not look interested

In addition we try to play perfect footy too often and are too predictable

A few things Craigy really needs to work on:

1. We do not move the ball fast and clean enough down the ground the produce potent delivery into the forward line. So many time we would lumber up the field then deliver a pass that would get chopped off by Krakouer, Surjan or Pettigrew.
  2. Defensive pressure in our forward 50 and through the midfield. We finished minor premiers two year in a row by smothering teams with our tackling and is the same reason St Kilda are top of the table so far and the same reason why Port beat us tonight.
  3. Our kids go missing in games for much too long and i think 5 is too many. I think Walker and one of Cook/Petrenko/Dangerfield needs to go this week.
  4. I really wish Porps was a taller, would be so good to see him getting pack marks and slotting them home.
  5. Bernie and Nathan were good tonight

1. I guess this game shows us where we REALLY are.

I'm surprised that anyone thought that we were anywhere other than where we actually are! Playing 3 veterans on their final legs and 5 babies just learning to walk.... this years was ALWAYS going to be about learning and transition. Learning what we are - and aren't - capable of. How particular game plans work - or don't. And most importantly, getting valuable game time into the babies. Whilst it is frustrating and disappointing to lose games... we are still 3/3, and I think most people would have taken that at the beginning of the season given our circumstances and draw.

I thought before the game that we were going to be up against it. We played Melbourne in a slogging game on SUNDAY late afternoon. Port played on FRIDAY in Adelaide. They had 2 days more recovery time than the Crows. I am not blaming that on the defeat but there is an inequality in the draw when it happens.

A few things Craigy really needs to work on:

1. We do not move the ball fast and clean enough down the ground the produce potent delivery into the forward line. So many time we would lumber up the field then deliver a pass that would get chopped off by Krakouer, Surjan or Pettigrew.
  2. Defensive pressure in our forward 50 and through the midfield. We finished minor premiers two year in a row by smothering teams with our tackling and is the same reason St Kilda are top of the table so far and the same reason why Port beat us tonight.
  3. Our kids go missing in games for much too long and i think 5 is too many. I think Walker and one of Cook/Petrenko/Dangerfield needs to go this week.
  4. I really wish Porps was a taller, would be so good to see him getting pack marks and slotting them home.
  5. Bernie and Nathan were good tonight
[/quote
Petrenko was fantastic once he moved forward his defensive pressure up forward is what has been missing

Dangerfield, I would not drop him however I would play him more up forward

I'm surprised that anyone thought that we were anywhere other than where we actually are! Playing 3 veterans on their final legs and 5 babies just learning to walk.... this years was ALWAYS going to be about learning and transition. Learning what we are - and aren't - capable of. How particular game plans work - or don't. And most importantly, getting valuable game time into the babies. Whilst it is frustrating and disappointing to lose games... we are still 3/3, and I think most people would have taken that at the beginning of the season given our circumstances and draw.

:mad: If this season was about learning and transition, why are we using such a negative game plan?

if this was a learning and transition period for the club, Neil Craig should be implementing a solid man on man game plan so the younger kids learn how to play attacking and defensive football. At the moment all they are playing is negative football – the kids are not learning anything positive at all.

The final margin flattered us. We should have lost by 60+ points given how poor we were and how exceptionally slick Port were (until time-on in the 4th).

Our gameplan is a complete ****ing joke. We will never be a top 4 side with such a slow, pointless gameplan. Every bloody time we kick it inside 50, we are outnumbered 4-1 and the opposition takes an easy mark and quickly gets it down their end to an open forward line and gets a goal. I'm sick of our goals coming from players having to pull something flukey out of their ass whilst the opposition gets goals running into an open goal. Chad Cornes FFS! :mad: Bring back the 2005/2006 gameplan, at least we were good at it.

If you want to play a zone, you need players who are prepared to work their butts off. You also need a gun in the midfield who can split the zone, like an Ablett or a Bateman.

Finally, too many players out there tonight showed a complete lack of heart. Not going to single out players but there were too many players out there who didn't put their bodies on the line. Bock, Vince and Goodwin (with an honourable mention to Petrenko) were the only players prepared to do the hard work. You talk about downhill skiiers, we have plenty of 'em, including a certain Norm Smith medal winner (ok I lied when I wasn't going to single players out).

We showed a total lack of physicality out there tonight, and Port were always first to the ball and they did it too easily. I hope Craigy tears strips off of them (and not just the first year players) after that effort. Why should we buy tickets to the Port home game when we put in a lame effort anyway?

Totally agree.

I thought before the game that we were going to be up against it. We played Melbourne in a slogging game on SUNDAY late afternoon. Port played on FRIDAY in Adelaide. They had 2 days more recovery time than the Crows. I am not blaming that on the defeat but there is an inequality in the draw when it happens.

it had absolutely no bearing on the result as we ran the game out fine

our issue is our game plan, skill level and decision making

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The Port Game (post game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back