Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

What a game .......that first qrt was as good as it gets and shows when we're on we're damn hard to stop

Not really any bad and ugly today

There are lesser light players that are really standing up. Suffered from a lack of height down forwrd all day (Tippet) but our precise movement & reading of the ball by forwards was exceptional

Tackling superb and the cornerstone of our game ....tackle well and win

Jenkins: This guy can be anything. Fast, big bugger, and can take a great mark. We forget it's his first year and in coming years I am comfortable he could play CHF without hesitation.

Otten: You could tell how important today's game was to him. Played like the Otten of old but with extra desperation and competitive spirit. Won't be dropped on the back of todays game.

Dangerfield: You need your leaders to standup when the heat is on. First and last qtr when the challenge by WC was at it's peak ....Dangerfield just dragged the team along.

Sloane: See Dangerfield .....are they twins, because they seem to compete against each other for #1 leader :p

Wright: The sleeper of this season .....IMO getting to be as valuable as Sloane. Great tackling, interceptions and disposal is first class. Very underrated. Will be top 10 B&F this year and we need to start talking about fab 4 of the midfield (Thompson, Danger, Sloane, and Wright)

Mackay: Well he got criticized by this board IMO unfairly as Sanderson was remodeling his game to add inside elements. It took him a while to adjust to Sando's requirements but Mackay is all class. His tackling has improved dramatically and his run off HB is superb

Vince: Now playing the best footy since his B&F year. I like him best as a HF with stints in the midfield. Great decision maker and deadly shot at goal

Porplyzia: back to his best and for his doubters remember any serious injury ....it does take time to recapture full confidence and play at your best

Reilly: The guy is getting close to a monty for AA .....can the knockers please acknowledge when a player shows the improvement he has. Apart from Rutten he's been the rock down back.

Smith: Ouch ...stinker. Think there's no doubt next week it'll be Shaw in for Smith. Just suffered today with awful disposal and decision making ......just a bad bad day, but he'll pay for it with time back in SANFL.

Doughty: See Smith comments but still won't be dropped and I am happy with that

Petrenko: thought he did a good job as a tagging HF today. Not many possessions but I'd say he played the role Sando requested

Tippett: o_O stop leading with your head man !!!

Awesome match, really liked how we soaked up the pressure at important points. Thought we were gone late in the third, but we held our nerve and turned the tide in the fourth. Really, really not a fan of the Selwoods and the games each play, don't understand why they're so loved by the umps? You could just see the rage in Thommo.

Great performance from Danger when it looked like the hand initially may be a problem. 29d and 2.0 tells it all. Vince just so cool and calm with his disposal; his goalkicking nous is back. Sloane didn't have a huge disposal count but I'd have him right up there with best on ground. Simply superb pressure, loving my decision to get a #9 guernsey. Worsfold was probably on the phone to Petrenko asking where Hurn had got to; he did a great job locking him down. Wright worked hard again in the midfield, just needs to cure the set shot yips he's had recently. Jacobs may have lost the hitouts, but he often did enough to force Cox and Naita into shovelling it down our mid's throats. Liked VB's work and calmness too. Otten recovered from an early knock to have a big influence in the second and third quarters. Better than I expected for sure.

Just absolutely thrilled that we beat my most hated team (yes, even more than Port). That sort of effort in finals will cut up teams who try and be cute with the ball.

Also, sorry jenny61_99 ;)

. Otten recovered from an early knock to have a big influence in the second and third quarters. Better than I expected for sure.
Just absolutely thrilled that we beat my most hated team (yes, even more than Port). That sort of effort in finals will cut up teams who try and be cute with the ball.

;)
Still appeared to be feeling around the knee area after the game ....knock or strain??

Still appeared to be feeling around the knee area after the game ....knock or strain??
I only became aware after a nice possession in the second, where the commentators said he'd be down in the rooms for a stint in the first quarter. Might take a little while before we find out the nature/severity of the issue. Hopefully something minor, but you're right it makes more sense for it to be a strain.

Dominated most of the game. We had a period in the second and third quarter where we dropped off a bit, but other than that we were on top.
Stand out for me was Reilly. Where has he been for 10 years:confused: Just oozes confidence now and backs himself. He hadnt really done that prior to this year.
Danger got us of to a flyer. Rory, well, ahem, I have a man crush:oops: Just love his desperation.
JJ, Bernie, Wright, Thomo, VB, Sauce and Otten were excellent.
Good to see stiffy back and play well.
Only downer was Kurt:(

Great game though:)

I was most impressed by the pressure we applied. Our tackling was superb. Our aggression at the ball was great. These two skills put the eagles off and on the defensive. It stopped their running game. Our ability to maintain these two areas of the game will determine whether we play the GF or not.

Whilst I liked our ball movement I was also particularly pleased that after the Eagles kicked three in a row in that last quarter we came back and kicked three ourselves.

Strong result.

I was most impressed by the pressure we applied. Our tackling was superb. Our aggression at the ball was great. These two skills put the eagles off and on the defensive. It stopped their running game. Our ability to maintain these two areas of the game will determine whether we play the GF or not.

Whilst I liked our ball movement I was also particularly pleased that after the Eagles kicked three in a row in that last quarter we came back and kicked three ourselves.

Strong result.
:thumbsu: agreed ....and we showed an ability to change the pace of the game. Choosing when to run the ball and when to inch it forward short pass by short pass

But I LOVE the fact we don't kick backwards anymore ....gives forwards a real chance one out, and I'd back Tippett, Dangerfield, Walker, Porplyzia one out any day of the week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good effort made even better by no Dwayne commentating.

Was really impressed by Ottens game, he was more confident as it went along and did some nice things. Dougie also did some fine things and Doughty fought back after a shocking first half.

Kudos to the coaching unit who used the small forwards to harrass the West Coast rebounding defenders all day stopping them from their usual game

What a great win! Gutted when Tippo went off again. He has to be the unluckiest player in the league the past month.

A lot of great players. No real standout players IMO. Vince, Porps, Danger, Thommo, Otten, Wright and Reily amongst the best. Pressure absolutely awesome.

Some may say our draw is soft, but we've now won 4 games against top 8 opponents, which is a fantastic result. Massive chance to win next week also.

Contemplating getting a gold membership! I'm getting excited!

Hmm.. We've played some good footy against Sydney in the past few years. I never like the prospect of facing Hawthorn, ever since that Elimination Final. Same with Collingwood.
Hawthorn a more difficult match-up ......keep thinking Franklin and who can stop him?

Sydney we always matchup well because they play as a team rather than star individuals .......give me Sydney anyday

Hmm.. We've played some good footy against Sydney in the past few years.

I think that, at this point, Sydney play the best finals football style of play. I don't think they care much when they play away, they as us know that if your fair dinkum in this league you need to win the GF in Melbourne, so all you care about is just being there. I don't think hawthorn quite understand this.

But having said that, I believe that Hawthorn in Melbourne is a harsher prospect than Sydney in Sydney.

Ripping win. I reckon close to one of our most complete games all season. Building very nicely atm. (esp when you consider our best forward and best mark haven't contributed meaningfully in weeks).

Sando's starting to break out the new parts of the gameplan. Lots of crossing the ball today and slow movement forward to setup goals. Didn't see any of that the start of the season, just a maniacal drive to get the ball forward at all costs. It seems to me how he has coached guys individually as well - get them used to playing a new role/game style and have them focus on that as a priority (see Mackay as an inside mid, reilly off the HBF) and then when they've nutted it, evolve things to the next level. Loving it and I reckon he's still holding things up the sleeve as well.

Otten was feeling his knee the whole second half between play - obviously not the knee itself or he would have come off, but maybe a knock or muscle issue around it?

Anyway - ripping win. really pleased with how we played.

Very pleased with the way Jenkins played today. Looks to get better with every game.

Dangerfield was incredible today and I love how he just gets back up everytime. How was he not part of the Avengers cast?

Maybe its only the games against WA sides which inspire me but here are my observations of todays game which i saw on TV as opposed to live against freo... This is written without seeing any stats and my disclaimer is i do have Gerard Healy bias... Here goes

3 - Brent Reilly - This guy is super impressive marshalling the troops down back. Is involved in turn overs but his aggression at the ball in air and he always wants to play on through the corridor.
4 - Kurt Tippett - another head knock is serious concern....
5 - Scotty Thompson - Locked down early and not dominant and gave few free kicks away but just a bull in the contests.
7 - Nathan Van Berlo - just continue to be more and more imnpressed with the skip...oustanding compusure his delivery into forward fifty with sharp 30m kicks outstanding and is kicking goals... We had Mcleod, Ricciuto, Edwards, Goodwin, Johnson but Bickley premiership captain and i think a similar theme unfolding here.
9 - Rory Sloane - My young blokes middle name is Mcleod but my next born male will be called Rory.... or maybe my next pet... Just an absolute JET....repeat an absolute JET...is he the best at the comp at getting late to a contest and preventing opposition clean disposal....LEGEND ALREADY
11 - Micheal Doughty - Has his Doughtyers and had a shocking 30 seconds on the wing but this guy is an adelaide crows timeline over the last ten years and guys like Kerridge, Crouch and Lyon will take his place but this warrior is in our best 22...Like Reilly grunt and aggression
12 - Daniel Talia - Pretty sure was called rising star favourite in the call which is a testament to his year... Seemed to be second to the contest a little today with Darling who is pretty impressive.
14 - David Mackay - Hmmmmm seen to be a bit unsighted today but i love how he has turned into an inside player..Check the tackle stats on crows website
15 - Brad Symes - was ok when he was on.....If we need him he can play a role
17 - Bernie Vince - Awesome game maybe our best kick. Like his best mate TEX he kicks arrows when shooting for goal.. Continually chipping in with goals and with Danger, Thommo and Sloaney getting all the tags he is tearing it up... Anyone notice in general play he roosts it 55m off a step. LOVE HIM
18 - Graham Johncock - Really like him up forward gives us some J factor lol..
20 - Josh Jenkins - Seriously how good was he around the ground today, i know the game was pretty much over but for a while i thought he was playing as a rover was in everything..What has he played a dozen games???? VERY VERY impressive today against the second best ruck combo in the league..
22 - Andy Otten - Today will give him confidence...Think first quarter running back into flight was awesome..With he and Shaw great 3rd tall options down back.
23 - Jared Petrenko - Seemed quiet but he epitomises our unrelenting aggression at the ball. Really noticeable Waters came into the game in 3rd quarter.
25 - Ben Rutten - Just trucked around
26 - Richard Douglas - I think he and Vince are our real wildcards late in the season, was really impressed with his first half...Crucial part of a deep hard running hard tackling midfield at moment.
32 - Patty Dangerfield - Set the tone early even though wearing a glove for his blisters....COMIC GOLD FROM HEALY...Crucial goals too..
37 - Ian Callinan - Bit unsighted after being prominent early.
40 -THE PORPOISE - His season just rolls on like an unstoppable force of nature.... Around the ball a tough bastard with slick hands..Up front behind Stevie J the best medium forward in the comp... Must terrify defenders at moment.
47 - Matty Wright - Growing and growing in stature.. Forward pocket last year now a bonafide tough smart onballer...if he has the ball with a second too spare you know something good will happen...

Other observations....

Early days we were so so so intense at the ball....
What stands out for me is that our modus operandi is get the ball into the forward fifty and if its not marked lock it in and from a clearance give ourselves a chance at scoring but with our last few weeks without a tall option forward with early injuries in games and TEX's suspension we have become very very good at precise passing into 30-40m out from goal...
We have Tall options and at the moment our scoring firepower from the midfield is outstanding....

Im in wa and going to be drinking a lot of red in the coming weeks with all my winnings...

GOYOUCROWS

Gees I need to watch the replay because I thought Smith was okay.

Sloane is a gun, flipping love him.

Awesome win, crucial win, one of the best for the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back