Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Our disposal on Saturday was a really mixed bag. Some outstanding passes but Porps, Mackay, VB, Danger and Wright all had more than one shank each. So Smith was in good company. And he did a lot right.

just watched the replay of the first quarter. some things that i've noticed before but really want to mention now.

-jenkins, how good is he at tapping the ball to a team mates advantage when he is under pressure, or cant cleanly take possession. we saw it first with that brilliant tap which led to a stiffy goal against geelong, but he really seems to have a knack for it, not just in a marking contest, but from handballs etc. best thing is it never looks like a throw.

-rory. how bloody good is his kicking these days? beautiful kick, wonderful player.

also, did anyone else notice this one stoppage near the crows goals. i'm pretty sure jenkins won the tap although he basically hit nicnats hand into the ball and sent it straight in front of a crow. the thing im getting to is the way he did it, he had a run up and jumped on nicnat, in what is imo a textbook natanui move. to me this seems as though jenkins leap is being used as a weapon similar to that of nicnat(granted his leap isnt as good as nicnats, but its still pretty bloody good) i like this a LOT.

Nicnat also has a bigger wing span.

What I really love about leroy is his competitiveness and intensity.

Back on the small defender debate, I'd love to see an analysis done on small forward performances this year and who played on who. Anyone have access to that type of information?

Nicnat also has a bigger wing span.

What I really love about leroy is his competitiveness and intensity.

Back on the small defender debate, I'd love to see an analysis done on small forward performances this year and who played on who. Anyone have access to that type of information?
Yep that would be very interesting. In Doughtys corner we have Milne and Hams with 3 that I know of.

j

-jenkins, how good is he at tapping the ball to a team mates advantage when he is under pressure, or cant cleanly take possession.

that would have never been allowed under craigy, but is just pure creative footy at its best, just have to be careful you dont over do it and become predictable with it.

What staggers me is that we've never attempted to get tippett to try this with long bombs into f50. taking a mark against two or three defenders is an order of magnitude more difficult than getting to a point where you can tap it / deflect it one handed to a small forward in space (especially when you usu have 5-7cm height advantage on said defenders). This then puts defenders in two minds, which then means sometimes their attempts to stop you marking will be less effective.

Hams 2 in junk time, 1 from Thommo's dubious free on Selwood, would not think Dogga was beaten.
I've posted how those two junk time goals came about, both were Doughtys fault. Do we just excuse defenders opponents kicking goals because they were kicked when the game was won?

Wasn't Doughty also on Lindsay Thomas when he kicked 3?

that would have never been allowed under craigy, but is just pure creative footy at its best, just have to be careful you dont over do it and become predictable with it.

What staggers me is that we've never attempted to get tippett to try this with long bombs into f50. taking a mark against two or three defenders is an order of magnitude more difficult than getting to a point where you can tap it / deflect it one handed to a small forward in space (especially when you usu have 5-7cm height advantage on said defenders). This then puts defenders in two minds, which then means sometimes their attempts to stop you marking will be less effective.

i've seen tex do something similar. but it just looks different. with jj it really looks like a ruck tap. tex however almost seems to to throw it, and usually in a very congested situation, not a marking contest. tex will probably get called for a throw at some point, but imo you couldnt do that with jenkins, although umpires re a funny bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in the last 5 games, Dogga has allowed:
Thomas 3.2
Milne 3.3
Hams 3.1

Is that acceptable? What exactly is his experience buying us?

not much I guess - was he on Stewart as well ?? probably Nahas & Edwards from Richmond too ! Good thing he didnt play against GWS someone like, Adam Treloar would've got a bag.

just watched the replay of the first quarter. some things that i've noticed before but really want to mention now.

-jenkins, how good is he at tapping the ball to a team mates advantage when he is under pressure, or cant cleanly take possession. we saw it first with that brilliant tap which led to a stiffy goal against geelong, but he really seems to have a knack for it, not just in a marking contest, but from handballs etc. best thing is it never looks like a throw.

-rory. how bloody good is his kicking these days? beautiful kick, wonderful player.

also, did anyone else notice this one stoppage near the crows goals. i'm pretty sure jenkins won the tap although he basically hit nicnats hand into the ball and sent it straight in front of a crow. the thing im getting to is the way he did it, he had a run up and jumped on nicnat, in what is imo a textbook natanui move. to me this seems as though jenkins leap is being used as a weapon similar to that of nicnat(granted his leap isnt as good as nicnats, but its still pretty bloody good) i like this a LOT.
I believe it is his basketball background coming to the surface with those brilliant taps. .In hoops, when a shot is off the rim and it is just out of the rebounders reach for a clean rebound, they tend to slap the ball out to go near the centre court for the perimeter players to mop up and restart the play. It is now probably instincts for Jenkins and if he did play the rebounding type player whilst playing bball, then it has translated very well to footy! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back