Media TiFmedia Presents... Sweet FA Three Things I Learnt This Week - Season 34 Reflections

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from season 30, it would appear so.

There’s 2 major factors that could easily account for Season 30’s numbers:
  • The two failed expansion bids (where half the S30 rookie class came from) that led to some clubs picking at scraps rather than actively recruiting.
  • It was only 3 weeks into the resumed 2020 AFL season— BigFooty posting in general was abnormal at that time, as was people’s involvement on a Footy website that was discussing footy with no crowds.

There is still a few days available.
There's 4 weeks left in the regular season. Meaning if an expansion bid hopes to sufficiently sell themselves, they are already doing themselves a disservice.

Come November there'll be multiple clubs, LGs and skippers for a third of the comp who will be AFK.

No rule saying they need to be for next season either, a year of consolidation for the new team before trying to create more would not be a bad thing.
So are these legitimate expansion discussions you are sharing with us here, or just a few people spitballing on a discord? :think:

1. The Bye was just like a normal week, plenty of gatecrashers wanting to be part of the Bombers match thread, only difference being there was no match.
2. Moves are afoot for another bid, or maybe more, for expansion. If two bids are launched, and one is aimed at eliminating the Bye, does that bid need to withdraw to prevent the Bye becoming institutionalised? Quite the conundrum for any potential bid/s.
3. A successful expansion, further expanded team lists and no sanctioned tour of the boards? Clubs are being left to their own devices in relation to recruiting, some are doing much better than others. Maybe the Bombers were correct when claiming that sending the same tired old posters on the same Vanilla tour was not going to fix the recruiting problem. More players are joining since they stopped.

I’d say somebody from a new expansion bid should shoot a message across to somebody from another potential expansion bid.

There's 4 weeks left in the regular season. Meaning if an expansion bid hopes to sufficiently sell themselves, they are already doing themselves a disservice.

Come November there'll be multiple clubs, LGs and skippers for a third of the comp who will be AFK.

So are these legitimate expansion discussions you are sharing with us here, or just a few people spitballing on a discord? :think:
What is discord? This is not the first time it has been mentioned.

Thought t meant a disagreement.

Indubitably

Any expansion bid for next season couldn't possibly get up.

They have been far to secretive, and in the shadows to be allowed in for next season.

I agree they are doing themselves a disservice by being all sneaky about this.

Far worse then the 2 failed bids ever were. And they were crucified for it, even though they were within the rules.

I can't see the likes manangatang or The Filth Wizard and a few other captains approving this bid because they were massive critics of those bids not coming out early....

Oh wait, disregard it only counts for bids they have nothing to do with.

Last edited:

They have been far to secretive, and in the shadows to be allowed in for next season.

Far worse then the 2 failed bids ever were. And they were crucified for it, even though they were within the rules.

I can't see the likes manangatang or The Filth Wizard approving this bid because they were massive critics of those bids not coming out early....

I think there might be some assumptions being made on the status of at least one potential bid. What is there to be sneaky about? The bid will be ready or it won't be.

The reason those two bids failed is because they weren't good enough and the majority of the league didn't want them, it was a fair voting process. The core difference between then and now is expansion wasn't even a topic of conversation when two potential teams were foisted on the committee and the league - right now it's been a talking point about a 14th side since the OOB were announced. It's not too dissimilar to the previous round of expansion votes where the Bears were a known quantity for a while, the committee got asked to vote on the bids on May 19th and the Warriors didn't even start a thread until three days later. That was the off season by the way - right now it is the start of October and we probably won't start S35 until February, for what is essentially a group of names on a list there's some real unnecessary panic for what is a third of a real time year until the next squad submission.

Anyway, we've talked about previous expansion long enough. There's been some pretty wild accusations thrown about potential 14th bids but the absolute silliest is the indication people are acting clandestinely instead of not being pressured to put their best foot forward. There needs to be some quality control or it's pointless announcing at any stage. As I said, instead of people purposely being secretive perhaps maybe they're just not confident (and probably now with have less reason to be confident). IMO there's probably nothing wrong with seeing the lay of the land in the first short season with byes.

You would say that.

I'd be interested to see another project, I've become aware there is one.

I can't see the likes manangatang or The Filth Wizard and a few other captains approving this bid because they were massive critics of those bids not coming out early....

Last I checked, captains don't approve bids. But you go on.

Let's just remind posters of this thread, so they can see how posters stood in the past on this.

And how 'not announcing early enough' was a big deal back when they failed. And they were announced much earlier then this bid is.

It's in black and white really.

And it really ran to how the rules were laid out? The committee made this decision and you know it.
Do you think the committee only represents the individuals that are on it? Interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three things I learnt.

1. For all the lovemuscle, arguments, attacks, inappropriate gifs and randomness, the SFA is hands down the single most supportive group of posters on bigfooty. I'm was truly blown away by the support you all have me for my fencing.
2. I can be bribed to stop posting exactly 69 posts per week (thanks Callums_Guns ), I am truly cheaper than a common whore.
3. The FRED medal is decided, it's unfair that the league has to put up with a FF as wonderful as myself.

easy gif1650195226383.gif

I think there might be some assumptions being made on the status of at least one potential bid. What is there to be sneaky about? The bid will be ready or it won't be.

The reason those two bids failed is because they weren't good enough and the majority of the league didn't want them, it was a fair voting process. The core difference between then and now is expansion wasn't even a topic of conversation when two potential teams were foisted on the committee and the league - right now it's been a talking point about a 14th side since the OOB were announced. It's not too dissimilar to the previous round of expansion votes where the Bears were a known quantity for a while, the committee got asked to vote on the bids on May 19th and the Warriors didn't even start a thread until three days later. That was the off season by the way - right now it is the start of October and we probably won't start S35 until February, for what is essentially a group of names on a list there's some real unnecessary panic for what is a third of a real time year until the next squad submission.

Anyway, we've talked about previous expansion long enough. There's been some pretty wild accusations thrown about potential 14th bids but the absolute silliest is the indication people are acting clandestinely instead of not being pressured to put their best foot forward. There needs to be some quality control or it's pointless announcing at any stage. As I said, instead of people purposely being secretive perhaps maybe they're just not confident (and probably now with have less reason to be confident). IMO there's probably nothing wrong with seeing the lay of the land in the first short season with byes.

I'd be interested to see another project, I've become aware there is one.
What we need is a good investigative journalist to out them before they're ready.

What we need is a good investigative journalist to out them before they're ready.
God what is with boomers and loving hasbulla!! My mum went through that phase

All good.

I am just an interested bystander taking note of the hypocrisy that will now occur.

I'm not sure there's any hypocrisy at play, a lot changes in two or three years. Games get a remastered version. The landscape changes completely. I made the point at the time that the sudden uptake in numbers was aligned with a certain new pandemic that had just started sweeping the planet.

I voted yes for the OOB as it was now or never and it gave the league an opportunity to retool its perceived standards on activity with a dilution across the board taking pressure off captains from less active teams, equalisation of sort. I said at the time that this was the time for the committee and admin to make a 14th team a reality as well across a couple of seasons, I was pleased to read some discussion on that over recent weeks in there.

1. For all the lovemuscle, arguments, attacks, inappropriate gifs and randomness, the SFA is hands down the single most supportive group of posters on bigfooty. I'm was truly blown away by the support you all have me for my fencing.

You say that now, but when I stole liberated that container load of liquor from Baghdad, you only offered me PENNIES on the DOLLAR! Your fencing sux!

:p

You say that now, but when I stole liberated that container load of liquor from Baghdad, you only offered me PENNIES on the DOLLAR! Your fencing sux!

:p

That was because it was from Baghdad.

You steal whisky from Scotland and it's a different discussion!

1. I only just realised that CrimsonViolet changed their name to Greenery.

There really should be something under a person's avatar or something. Bigfooty is way too confusing.

1. I only just realised that CrimsonViolet changed their name to Greenery.

There really should be something under a person's avatar or something. Bigfooty is way too confusing.

I only just realised that GREENESHOOTS changed their name to CrimsonViolet

I wait patiently. Do NOT disappoint me or I will melt the * out of you Cheese.

You have 48hrs.

View attachment 1524639
1075533877funny-alarm-clock-animated-gif-5.gif

Godspeed Wigs. Do us proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media TiFmedia Presents... Sweet FA Three Things I Learnt This Week - Season 34 Reflections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back