List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know i don't mind this.... Picks 5 is the key & 23 is the bonus.
But i'm of the opinion they must hand over a 2019 starting calibre player. Venables or Brander would be good.
I haven't watched either of those two very much this year, so am just curious: why those players? What will they bring to our forward line? Our forward line next year is ideally something like:

Dahlhaus Hawkins Cockatoo*
Menegola Sav Menzel*

Chuck Danger and Ablett in there occasionally, some likely injuries, maybe Rohan, and it's fairly full already. Will either of those two add much to our forward line, or just spend most of the year playing VFL? I'd potentially rather use those picks to fill identified holes in our list, like pace.

**** points equivalents. As I have said before no one is trading pick 6 for 20 and 22. For mine those pics would be far too low.
Totally agree

WCE currently have picks 20, 36, 68 & 72 - points wise they are equivalent to pick 9

I know which option I'd rather in a trade if it was pick 9 or 4 picks with equivalent to pick 9

Wonder if Kelly is thinking “what could’ve been” after watching West Coast win the premiership? He was no doubt going to be drafted by them if we didn’t get in first.

Would’ve won a flag in his first year.

I just posted this in the trade thread, would this suffice for Kelly?

What do you guys think of this for a 4 team trade? Obviously due to compo picks etc it may change slightly.

Starting Draft Picks Before Trades
Freo 5, 77
GWS 13, 23, 44, 49, 67, 85
Geelong 11, 47, 52, 55, 56
West Coast 20, (21), 36, 68

The Trade

Rory Lobb from GWS -->Freo
Tim Kelly from Geelong -->West Coast

Pick 20, 21, 36 from West Coast --> GWS
Pick 23, 44 from GWS --> Geelong
Pick 49 from GWS --> West Coast
Pick 11, 47 from Geelong --> Freo
Pick 5 from Freo --> Geelong

So In Conclusion It Would End Like This

Geelong Give (Kelly, 11, 47) Get (Pick 5, 23, 44)
Freo Give (Pick 5) Get (Lobb, 11, 47)
GWS Give (Lobb, 23, 44, 49) Get (20, 21, 36)
West Coast Give (20, 21, 36) Get (Kelly, 49)
Values kelly at approx pick 9.

Is that a bad thing? Fact is he is worth more than what West Coast can offer so im just thinking of a way we can get more out of the trade via Freo, and Kelly still gets to WC.
I don’t hate it, I just don’t like the idea of losing him and pick 11 for 5. Id prefer to roll into the draft with 11, 20 and 22 than 5 & 23.

Values kelly at approx pick 9.
Considering Kelly beat Neale in Brownlow voting, and Brisbane are giving up pick 4 for him, I reckon that's about the best we could hope for, considering Kelly's situation and the assumption Brisbane are paying overs to prise him out of Freo.

I don’t hate it, I just don’t like the idea of losing him and pick 11 for 5. Id prefer to roll into the draft with 11, 20 and 22 than 5 & 23.

Its really Kelly & 11 for 5 & 23, hardly a bad trade for us in my opinion especially if we are only going to get 20 from WC for him, cant see them giving us 20 & 21 for him. We could also possibly trade 23 and a couple of late picks (maybe from McCarthy etc) to move into the first round.

If the club still thinks we're in the "window", it would probably take that trade, as it gives us someone ready to go with lots of potential, and can help sell memberships by being our lowest pick in decades. Our next lowest picks closest to 5 have been Mackie & Selwood both at 7 in 2002 & 2006, and Bartel & Corey both at 8 in 1999 & 2001.

Another name like that looks pretty good to me! Also depends what Wells could do with two early second-rounders.

Its really Kelly & 11 for 5 & 23, hardly a bad trade for us in my opinion especially if we are only going to get 20 from WC for him, cant see them giving us 20 & 21 for him. We could also possibly trade 23 and a couple of late picks (maybe from McCarthy etc) to move into the first round.
Can't see anyone in the late first round willing to trade with us though, maybe GC for FS points if Scott nominates them. Hawthorn (15) are active in trying to snare some big names like Shiel, Collingwood (16) are trying to land May and Adelaide (14) want to get their SA talent. Richmond's 18 could be up for grabs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't watched either of those two very much this year, so am just curious: why those players? What will they bring to our forward line? Our forward line next year is ideally something like:

Dahlhaus Hawkins Cockatoo*
Menegola Sav Menzel*

Chuck Danger and Ablett in there occasionally, some likely injuries, maybe Rohan, and it's fairly full already. Will either of those two add much to our forward line, or just spend most of the year playing VFL? I'd potentially rather use those picks to fill identified holes in our list, like pace.

Brander is my choice of the two.
He becomes our 3rd tall from day 1. Our 2nd Tall in the future. Menzel would be lucky to get a game next year for me.
If you want to compare him to someone. I'd say Jack Darling... Great pair of mitts, can move and will be a gun IMO.
Went pick 13 last year, played footy at Geelong Grammar... only down side he barracked for the eagles as a youngster.

As for Dan Venables... he'd be a great pick up as well.
Has speed/pace, tackles, has a bit of flair but tuff.
Played in the forward line but is a Mid in waiting. He replaces Kelly from day 1 for me.

Both players are 19 yo olds. Either one would be great gets IMO.

At the time no one said he was bluffing. They were cheering on the stand we were apparently taking. And we have a contract. So we shouldnt be bluffing. We are folding despite having the good cards.
Geez, how about waiting to see how it plays out before melting. You’re going way too early based on nothing here.

Geez, how about waiting to see how it plays out before melting. You’re going way too early based on nothing here.
Read the tea leaves. Its not a done deal yet but we clearly were peeing in the wind on that call. Kelly seems to be running the show at the moment on whether he stays or go unless we are refusing to tell our own player that we will keep him to the contract and in that scenario there is a serious breakdown in the relationship between the club and kelly.

Read the tea leaves. Its not a done deal yet but we clearly were peeing in the wind on that call. Kelly seems to be running the show at the moment on whether he stays or go unless we are refusing to tell our own player that we will keep him to the contract and in that scenario there is a serious breakdown in the relationship between the club and kelly.
I usually find words more telling than tea leaves but each to their own. Haven’t seen any words from club, player or manager that concern me at all at this stage. All media hype.

I always said he was bluffing. But yes, I can imagine.
Here's what Cook actually said:
"The obvious candidate now is Tim Kelly if we wanted to get a first round pick or even two you could do probably go down that path but we have no intention of considering that seriously," Cook said. "At the end of this year we will not be considering [offers]".

This was back in August. A lot has happened since then, including Kelly being less than forward with his intentions.
I'd hardly call it grandstanding, although it might yet come back to bite him.

Here's what Cook actually said:
"The obvious candidate now is Tim Kelly if we wanted to get a first round pick or even two you could do probably go down that path but we have no intention of considering that seriously," Cook said. "At the end of this year we will not be considering [offers]".

This was back in August. A lot has happened since then, including Kelly being less than forward with his intentions.
I'd hardly call it grandstanding, although it might yet come back to bite him.
With trades I don't believe a thing any club, player, manager says.
I don't consider it granstanding or anything like that, it's just the way it's gotta be.
Everyone just trying to look after themselves.

With trades I don't believe a thing any club, player, manager says.
I don't consider it granstanding or anything like that, it's just the way it's gotta be.
Everyone just trying to look after themselves.
Agree. Can't imagine the uproar if he said the opposite...
"Tim Kelly? He's been whining all year that he wants to go home. so we'll cut our losses and get whatever the hell we can for the ungrateful ****."

**** points equivalents. As I have said before no one is trading pick 6 for 20 and 22. For mine those pics would be far too low.
Agreed. Don't give a toss about points.
Care about where we're selecting players, and for Kelly we need to be selecting a footballer inside 15

I usually find words more telling than tea leaves but each to their own. Haven’t seen any words from club, player or manager that concern me at all at this stage. All media hype.
Someone's familiar with football transfer windows I see. 98% bluster and clickbait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back