List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So gossage said this morning that Kelly will definately be at wc next year.
Said freo were all over him like a cheap suit and that Geelong wanted that option as they'd get more value.

But Kelly has told Geelong it's west coast.

What does that mean? They have something like pick 20 and 21 if gaff leaves.

Yep, that shows I had NFI about us only getting two rounders for him.
Might only be 1 now. (Yes I know wc pick 20 is a first rounder. May as well call it a second).
It will be one. Geelong will play nice and not demand WCE give up their two 'early' picks. West Coast will surely pay it back down the line.

I hope we get their 2019 first as part of this. I know they won the premiership without Gaff and NicNat at the end but missing them for the whole year along with potentially a GF hangover could mean we get a nice high pick. If he does go it might help us reorganize the midfield as a tougher defensive unit. He's very good but he didn't really help fix our issues.

This is going to sound like sour grapes, but its an observation. Without Gaff, Kelly is going to be found out at WCE.

Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood........Kelly.

Guess which one never got a tag? Guess what the biggest career bump in a midfielder's career is? A tag.

Kelly got some form going. He got some confidence in the AFL. And he took off! Because he is a very good player. Is he a great player? No. But with the cover of Ablett, Danger and Selwood, he sure looked it. Wait until next season when he is the big cheese. He will be on big coin. WCE fans will miss Gaff. He will get all the sympathy our imports do when they don't fire.

"Oh dear, why didn't he stay at Geelong?"

GEELONG would love to keep Tim Kelly but ultimately the decision on whether he remains at the club will be made by the midfielder.

Kelly's decision is not about his football. The first-year star loves the Cats and his teammates, flourishing in his first year at the top level.

The cold, hard reality is Kelly has three young children and a wife who has her hands full when he's kicking Sherrins.

If Kelly's family need to go home to WA – where they have a greater support network – the Cats are the kind of footy club who will tick it off.

Put simply, there's no way Geelong will hold Kelly at the club against his will.

The big question for the Cats – and any WA suitor – is what's he worth at the trade table? A first-round pick for sure.

The Eagles' current first-round pick is slated to be around no.19 after Gold Coast receives a compensation pick.

But Geelong recruiting guru Stephen Wells would like that to be closer to pick 10 or 12. Kelly was drafted with pick 24 last year, but has already proven he's worthy of a salary in the vicinity of $500,000 after a stunning debut season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ive-coverage/f3ea7b03c20d5c27049c33a058b3650a

This is going to sound like sour grapes, but its an observation. Without Gaff, Kelly is going to be found out at WCE.

Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood........Kelly.

Guess which one never got a tag? Guess what the biggest career bump in a midfielder's career is? A tag.

Kelly got some form going. He got some confidence in the AFL. And he took off! Because he is a very good player. Is he a great player? No. But with the cover of Ablett, Danger and Selwood, he sure looked it. Wait until next season when he is the big cheese. He will be on big coin. WCE fans will miss Gaff. He will get all the sympathy our imports do when they don't fire.

"Oh dear, why didn't he stay at Geelong?"

You are not tagging Kelly when Elliot Yeo and Shuey are in the midfield. Facts are Eagles has a much stronger midfield than Geelong in reality, so he is moving to a better midfield. He will absolutely flourish there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not tagging Kelly when Elliot Yeo and Shuey are in the midfield. Facts are Eagles has a much stronger midfield than Geelong in reality, so he is moving to a better midfield. He will absolutely flourish there.

Yeo is a rebounding defender isn't he? Also "a much stronger midfield" your kidding right, Ablett, Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan thats a pretty impressive lineup.

Yeo is a rebounding defender isn't he? Also "a much stronger midfield" your kidding right, Ablett, Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan thats a pretty impressive lineup.

Geeelong midfield is good on paper but was regularly beaten. Eagles the opposite. They destroyed Melbourne’s midfield who did a number on us.

Geeelong midfield is good on paper but was regularly beaten. Eagles the opposite. They destroyed Melbourne’s midfield who did a number on us.

Collingwood's midfield is also far more impressive than WCE's on paper, but WCE smashed them there on GF day.

Astute coaching by Sam Mitchell perhaps - I heard last night that Mitchell mentored Jack Redden this year who went from the scrapheap to a very valuable contributor.

Notice there’s no quotes from Geelong, Kelly, his management or the WA clubs?

This is playing out differently to the usual go home trade request. The media haven’t cottoned on.

I hope you are right ... its time for Geelong to bend the norm...

too much expectation that will Geelong will do this or that.. sets you up for it to happen again...basically the .."dont negotiate with terrorists" idea...
Imagine if git Rankine in the draft .. and SA clubs say..we know Geelong and just go to work on him

One just doesnt know how much is trying to just give Geelong an out atm... but there is nothing surer that down the track that all gets forgotten... and Geelong gets bagged ..."just was not strong enough etc.". Before taking something that at least gives us something we can hold our heads up.. id be telling him and WC that he can live in WA and play the WA and SA games .. id be saying he can fly in and fly out .. but we are not just coughing again.

In the end I suspect a deal gets done... it usually does... does a end of R1 2018 and and swap or our 2019 R2 and WC R1 get the tick?.. would probably not give us what we want but it would probably suffice and and announce to all that we pushed back hard.

Its amazing when you are in or out... just listening to Sam Collins on Trade Rad ..id be happy to go anywhere ..Suns anywhere...

Last edited:
He is contracted. If we bend over and don't stand firm for an acceptable offer I might go and support GWS.

No flags for 18 years of my living life and I always supported the club. But if we're going to keep behaving like the France of the AFL I'll puke. It's embarrassing. I'd like to see the club deal with Freo only, and if we don't get a good offer, hold him to his contract and only play him next year when needed.

Why would we let him go to West Coast for a late 1st rd? That's absolutely disgusting! If the currency is that cheap it HAS to be Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back