Strategy Time to roll the dice...

Remove this Banner Ad

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Almost half way through the season and playing the bottom team this week. Is it time to roll the dice and give some of the younger generation a game.

For the majority of the season both Blakely and Weller have been playing good quality footy. Langdon has shown a bit too and A. Pearce if his back has improved would be good cover for Johnson.

I'm not wanting for Ross to take GC as a certain win but better to give some players a go in this game than a top 8 team. They may even show up a few of the fringe 22 players.

Last edited:
Mz, Deboer, Spurr should be first in line, but the sub of Weller or Blakey would be better for the
future.
Wouldn't mind seeing Mundy starting in the back line, replacing Johhno, leaving our forward line
complete.
I still think we have two years to lift the cup, and giving the kids a go is the only way to improve
actual playing depth. We will still have Sandi next year, so midfield wont change, could indeed
improve?

WTF.

At 9-1 we should be trying to win every game and win the PREMIERSHIP. Not developing players. I could understand this comment if we were Essendon or North but at 9-1 and s game clear on top?

And just over one quarter when everything went perfect for our opponent?

How many times have Hawthorn gone 10-0 in the last five years? None.

One loss and everyone hits the panic button. Outcoached, yet in his presser Ross said he left it to see if what would happen. It's why you bank early wins so on bad night has very little impact.

WTF.

At 9-1 we should be trying to win every game and win the PREMIERSHIP. Not developing players. I could understand this comment if we were Essendon or North but at 9-1 and s game clear on top?

One loss and everyone hits the panic button. Outcoached, yet in his presser Ross said he left it to see if what would happen. It's why you bank early wins so on bad night has very little impact.

Agree.Bugger resting players when there is a bye coming up.

I think the coach's comment at the beginning of the season was if we're 3 and 8 at the bye, we'll tap out the older guys and play the young blokes.

At 9 & 1, if he were to start experimenting in that way, it's unnecessary and he wouldn't in any case.

Sure, injuries and fatigue may dictate some changes. But Deboer and Mzungu are the likely ins above the young guns mentioned in the OP and so they should be as well.

• Banned
WTF.

Ross should be trying to win each game. Blakely is playing as well as deBoer if not better. Weller about the same.

How am I hitting the panic button? With Freo playing the bottom side regardless of the game before I think it's a good way to blood dome players. Not many just 1 or 2 of tge best performers even in a sub role.

• Banned
2013 injuries compromised grand final, 2014 injuries, no plug and play players
to cover, out in straight sets.
Sure we all want that premiership, but we will have injuries, suspension, players
out of form, the more we blood, even as the sub, the better overall the list will be.

That's my thoughts and we have seen the benefit of A Pearce playing. If he comes in for Johnson this week it won't be a baptism of fire because he has already played two games and just that vital bit of experience will help him and the team out. If Blakely plays this one game he might even outperform a few of the usual 22. Playing him or Weller shouldn't compromise the game.

Last edited:
It's a very fine balancing act & you can't make wholesale changes & I reckon Ross looses sleep over it but every game at afl level needs to be earned so it ain't that easy. Our last two games against st kilda is proof of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my thoughts and we have seen the benefit of A Pearce playing. If he comes in for Johnson this week it won't be a baptism of fire because he has already played two games and just that vital bit of experience will help him and the team out. If Blakely plays this one game he might even outperform a few of the usual 22. Playing him or Weller shouldn't compromise the game.
Exactly. I would have thought looking at more talent would be trying to enhance our chance at a flag. We know what we get from Suban, De boer etc

WTF.

17 players have played every game. Do you think everyone of those will continue to get through the season unscathed. When the injuries happen, do you want players called upon that haven't played all year to get their start in the finals?

Will we have the same excuses on this board at the end of the year about players like McPharlin, Ibbotson and Johnson not being available and costing the side a premiership? I bet we will.

17 players have played every game. Do you think everyone of those will continue to get through the season unscathed. When the injuries happen, do you want players called upon that haven't played all year to get their start in the finals?

Will we have the same excuses on this board at the end of the year about players like McPharlin, Ibbotson and Johnson not being available and costing the side a premiership? I bet we will.

Yep it can easily happen. We have seen all of them hobbling around come finals on more than one occasion. I want Muz to get another go but don't want to be forced to play Blakely or Weller due to injuries come finals and have them struggle with the pace of the game.

Yep it can easily happen. We have seen all of them hobbling around come finals on more than one occasion. I want Muz to get another go but don't want to be forced to play Blakely or Weller due to injuries come finals and have them struggle with the pace of the game.

There is no need to play the likes of Blakey an weller when we've got mz and spurr likely to be available next week.Bank the wins and debut the likes of Blakely etc etc once we've got a top 2 spot secured!

Jedi I think every one agrees with you but shouldn't we bank the wins now and get into an unassailable position in the top two and then play Peel for the remaining games if we want.Luke and Johnno do need to be looked after but who do you suggest replaces them at the minute with Zac,Scos and Pearce unfortunately injured.

If you picked on form De Boer is a mile in front of Weller and co. Since when do you pick on age.Making them earn it just might be the way to go.

Blakely is better than MDB already so definitely not an age thing, and you get the added benefit of getting games into "our future" which RTB keeps saying is important.

Blakely is better than MDB already so definitely not an age thing, and you get the added benefit of getting games into "our future" which RTB keeps saying is important.

Blakely is better skilled at the minute but De Boer is the bigger stronger body.I would like Freo to play as many kids as possible but would like us to bank enough wins for top two first.

Jedi I think every one agrees with you but shouldn't we bank the wins now and get into an unassailable position in the top two and then play Peel for the remaining games if we want.Luke and Johnno do need to be looked after but who do you suggest replaces them at the minute with Zac,Scos and Pearce unfortunately injured.

Everyone agrees on banking the wins. No one is suggesting that we deliberately lose or even put ourselves in the position to lose. No one on here wants to lose games.

Some believe we can win and improve our list and even improve our results by giving good young players exposure at the top level from time to time. Especially when our more experienced players could obviously do with a rest to sort out a niggle etc.

Everyone agrees on banking the wins. No one is suggesting that we deliberately lose or even put ourselves in the position to lose. No one on here wants to lose games.

Some believe we can win and improve our list and even improve our results by giving good young players exposure at the top level from time to time. Especially when our more experienced players could obviously do with a rest to sort out a niggle etc.

Sheridan and Cros instead of Tendai and MDB on Fri was not doing exactly that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Time to roll the dice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back