To Those Bagging Hudson…

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope those that have been bagging Hudson can now wake up and smell the roses. 30 year old Jason Torney has been dumped after a very solid season. What does this have to do with Hudson you might ask? Well Hudson is 28 and wanted a 3 year deal; the AFC only offered him a 2 year deal. If Hudson were to have accepted this deal he would’ve been out of contract at the end of 2009 and with the way they have handled Torney, there is NO doubt Hudson would’ve been dumped at this time. So considering Hudson was simply looking after his own future, why should he have accepted a deal that would’ve sent him into an early retirement?

The Western Bulldogs offered him a 3 year deal which gives him more security. Why wouldn’t he have taken them up on this offer considering the ruthless, and heartless, display we shown to our older players?

Good luck with the Dogs Hudson. :thumbsu: :)

Ah Drummond you have had a bad week haven't you? I have too but for different reasons. Anyway, the club has a policy in place for a reason (agree with it or disagree). No one player is bigger than the club, and i'ts that simple.

Good luck to him he has prospered with a 3 year deal, but in all honesty if Bassett, Macca, Edwards, soon to be Goodwin, abide by the rules and have enough faith in themselves and their ability then what does that say about Huddo. Wouldn't back himself to prove he was worthy. He would have got 3 more years but not at once.

I won't be applauding him as I will Mattner next year he held us to ransom. There is no I in team and maybe now the non team players are gone, the team will prosper.

nah thats rubbish mate if the bullies could of got him for nothing in the PSD they would have. They had pick4 not 1 so they know there's a risk, thats why they wanted to trade. Its up to the AFC to put the pressure on them to deliver like any other club does to us.

At the very least pick19 should of been coming to us, instead we settled for pick 22 which somehow blew out to some irrelevant pick due to negotiating incompetence. Doesnt it strike you as odd we always end on the bad end of deals.

Like 17 for Watts!!!!

I dont know about bagging him. He could have just said 'guys thanks for pulling me off the scrapheap at 25 when no-one wanted me, but I think I need to go elsewhere to get the most from my career, can you organise a trade'

instead he put the club over a barrel by effectively forcing them to take whatever they could get for him or else.

and since my loyalty is to the AFC and not an individual player, Huddo can go and get ****ed.

Theres a reason Hudsons mobile phone inbox is full of abusive messages from AFC players and Mattners isnt.

Spot on.

I rate Hudson and he was one of my favourite players - if he wanted out, I wouldn't have a problem with it what so ever.

But to name a Club and effectively allow them to ransom us - well, **** him.

Still love Mattner though - hope he carves us up.

Its interesting to note that the players obviously dont subscribe to this logic, as they were also very upset at Hudsons leaving.

Its an interesting topic, but i cant help but feel its just bitterness at Pfeiffer being delisted part 100000. Having seen you posting at the Port Board begging them to stick it up the Crows, im starting to think you're losing your right to be considered an Adelaide fan.

Case closed. :thumbsu:

Hudson did was what right for him, and considering the ruthlessness displayed with Torney, why should he have taken his chances?

Real strange delisting by the AFC, Torney must have tripped over a few black cats the last few weeks as the AFC are happy to allow mediocre players like Doughty and Jericho continue on their merry way:rolleyes:makes me wonder sometimes:thumbsdown:

Ah Drummond you have had a bad week haven't you? I have too but for different reasons. Anyway, the club has a policy in place for a reason (agree with it or disagree). No one player is bigger than the club, and i'ts that simple.

Good luck to him he has prospered with a 3 year deal, but in all honesty if Bassett, Macca, Edwards, soon to be Goodwin, abide by the rules and have enough faith in themselves and their ability then what does that say about Huddo. Wouldn't back himself to prove he was worthy. He would have got 3 more years but not at once.

I won't be applauding him as I will Mattner next year he held us to ransom. There is no I in team and maybe now the non team players are gone, the team will prosper.

How did he hold the club to ransom:confused: He asked for a 3 yr deal the AFC wouldnt budge on a two year deal, so he seeked a trade to a club that was prepared to offer him 3 yrs, Hudson is 28 most players play until 31-33 so IMO a 3 yr deal is a resonable request......................perhaps the AFC were stubborn again????

Real strange delisting by the AFC, Torney must have tripped over a few black cats the last few weeks as the AFC are happy to allow mediocre players like Doughty and Jericho continue on their merry way:rolleyes:makes me wonder sometimes:thumbsdown:

Maybe Doughty and Jericho have contracts for next year so to delist them would mean the club would still have to include their income in next year's salary cap :rolleyes:

Scott

How did he hold the club to ransom:confused: He asked for a 3 yr deal the AFC wouldnt budge on a two year deal, so he seeked a trade to a club that was prepared to offer him 3 yrs, Hudson is 28 most players play until 31-33 so IMO a 3 yr deal is a resonable request......................perhaps the AFC were stubborn again????

I think you will find that there is more to the Hudson situation than 3years/2 years. Hudson decided to leave (spat the dummy) no matter what and the length of contract has been used as an excuse

Scott

nah thats rubbish mate if the bullies could of got him for nothing in the PSD they would have. They had pick4 not 1 so they know there's a risk, thats why they wanted to trade. Its up to the AFC to put the pressure on them to deliver like any other club does to us.

At the very least pick19 should of been coming to us, instead we settled for pick 22 which somehow blew out to some irrelevant pick due to negotiating incompetence. Doesnt it strike you as odd we always end on the bad end of deals.

As i have said in other posts " the crows have a great track record with their top draft picks.....all gone home i think that they might ar*se a good player around pick 30

Perhaps we were stubborn, but the fact is we have a policy in place. Why did Ben Hudson think he was more special than everyone else who i am sure feels they are worth longer contracts too? Ben Hudson more deserving than Simon Goodwin? Andrew Mcleod? I don't think so Ben Hudson didn't consider the club one bit, the club who took a chance on him. There are 10 clubs in Melbourne had he gone about the trade in the right way we would have gotten a shitload more for him. Many clubs needed a ruckman. Hope the club has learnt you don't take a chance on a 25 year old sook who noone else gave a chance to. Dogga is contracted, and for whatever reason the club like something in Jericho. Answer me this her is 28 years of age 50ish games had a knee reco... You would be baying for blood if the were locked into a 3 year contract and something happened.

The club will never win with certain people.

But Marty, as so many have already said - he KNEW about the contract situation... our senior (and far more talented players) have to play under it, why shouldn't he? And he has a question mark over his knee's - is he capable of even lasting 3 years? Time will tell. I think this is more about his character (not happy with being chewed out for a poor game, nor about the suspension because he broke curfew) than it is about length of contract or about a philosophy by the Club. The philosophy (not stubborness) is all about minimising risk to the business (AFC) by not having to carry (and pay for) injured players (which is more prone to happen the older the player). Players have a right to protect their interests, but you can't blame the Club for doing the same thing.

Huddo was always one of my favourites. Very disappointed with him holding us to ransom in this way - there are ways and there are ways to work out a swap to achieve his goal of 3 years. Ive lost a lot of respect for him over this. Will I boo him? No, I don't think so. But I won't be cheering him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find that there is more to the Hudson situation than 3years/2 years. Hudson decided to leave (spat the dummy) no matter what and the length of contract has been used as an excuse

Scott

Thats exactly right he knew the club policy well before this year, I have always suspected that it was his escape clause out of the club. The Crows at the last minute even supposedly offered him a higher dollar amount than the bulldogs per season he wasnt interested and for Thomo to allegedly abuse him in a sms it was more than just a contract length issue.

Good work by Thommo by the way - good to see a bit of passion from one of the boys.

I rate Huddo, but the contract length was clearly bullshit.

If the Crows have offered him two years, with an automatic extension if he plays over 30 odd games (which they apparently offered him something along those lines), and he didn't accept it, then it's quite simple - he didn't want to be at our footy club.

He should've put himself in the trade week and fielded offers, instead of committing to a Club already. Whose to say that Collingwood or St Kilda wouldn't have offered him a comparable deal?

He wanted to leave - fine, but it looks a lot like he was also trying to stick it up us on his way out too.

No problems with why he left - but **** him for the way he did.

Good work by Thommo by the way - good to see a bit of passion from one of the boys.

I rate Huddo, but the contract length was clearly bullshit.

If the Crows have offered him two years, with an automatic extension if he plays over 30 odd games (which they apparently offered him something along those lines), and he didn't accept it, then it's quite simple - he didn't want to be at our footy club.

He should've put himself in the trade week and fielded offers, instead of committing to a Club already. Whose to say that Collingwood or St Kilda wouldn't have offered him a comparable deal?

He wanted to leave - fine, but it looks a lot like he was also trying to stick it up us on his way out too.

No problems with why he left - but **** him for the way he did.

What did Thommo do.

I hope those that have been bagging Hudson can now wake up and smell the roses. 30 year old Jason Torney has been dumped after a very solid season. What does this have to do with Hudson you might ask? Well Hudson is 28 and wanted a 3 year deal; the AFC only offered him a 2 year deal. If Hudson were to have accepted this deal he would’ve been out of contract at the end of 2009 and with the way they have handled Torney, there is NO doubt Hudson would’ve been dumped at this time. So considering Hudson was simply looking after his own future, why should he have accepted a deal that would’ve sent him into an early retirement?

The Western Bulldogs offered him a 3 year deal which gives him more security. Why wouldn’t he have taken them up on this offer considering the ruthless, and heartless, display we shown to our older players?

AFC > FFC

always has been - always will be

If mediocrity is his go - then good luck to him

What method to you use to make these wild predictions with "no doubt"? Tarot cards? Time machine? Monte Carlo simulation? or the good old fashioned Crystal ball?
The fact is we need to move on and I'm happy that we've finally starting to look at a youth policy, probably the best news all year apart from Kenny staying. Sure, as far as ability goes Torney (going from this season when he had a very solid year) is probably around the same as Hudson but the difference is Hudson is a Ruckman, a big fella-a type of player who is harder to find than someone like Torney. Thats the difference. If he stayed at the crows then Hudson probably would have played until he retired of his own choice, having said that its not the end of the world that we've lost him and good luck at the Bulldogs Ben. I think what we can gain out of him leaving is potentially greater than if he'd stayed in the long run.

Are you bagging Adelaide for de-listing 30 year olds or are you still getting over Pfeiffer?:rolleyes:

NSS, of course Hudson went because he wasn't confident that he would get a 3rd year. But what are you going to do, keep Freddy, Bones, Pussy, the Jarman bros, Mods and Benny on the list forever.

De-listing great or even good players (and in your case even Gibson and Pfieffer:D) is never popular, but like it or not someone has to do it. I'm just glad we have people who have the balls to make these tough decisions, and then put up with the rubbish that gets thrown at them.

I would put Darren Jarman out there with a walking stick if it was up to me, Probably would have picked up a couple more premierships in the meantime

Remove this Banner Ad

To Those Bagging Hudson…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back