Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I would rate Burton, Partington and Bonner especially as they had the ability to go through an U/18 comp, a reserves comp, and manage to break into an SANFL team. I would put $1 Million dollars on an SANFL club destroying any U/18 TAC cup team, the players you are competing with are of so much higher quality, you will get a few good ones at u/18 level but 80% wont ever get to even SANFL level. To get to that SANFL team they must have performed throughout the year so maybe thats is why those in particular and Milera were rated so high.
So even though the SANFL pathway is not available to Doedee as a Victorian, you know absolutely, positively that he was not capable of doing so without having ever set your eyes on one game he has ever played, I call bullshit!

Obviously no one can accurately forecast how good players are going to be at this stage but I find it fascinating to see who clubs draft as it shows a lot about how they rate their own lists. In our case our worse loss of the season was against Hawthorn in the finals and in that game we had similar contested possessions but they had about 100 more uncontested from memory. The 2 ways to address this are to get better at disposing of the footy to increase your own time of possession or to get more intercept marks to take the ball away from the opposition. If you look at our recruiting and trading this year we did everything to address the first issue but nothing to address the second until this pick. It follows that if Tom is indeed the best available one on one marking backman then this was actually a pretty logical pick and the only real issue can be wether we could have structured it so that we got better value.
The fact that we only wanted to use 2 picks anyway would therefore suggest that the only way to get better value would have been to trade 13 for a lower pick and a future pick which would have meant no chance of Mackay so on balance we probably didn't really have a lot of choice that way.

The other issue that does come up though is how much better it would have been for us if you could trade picks during the draft like the Americans. We would certainly have tried to trade down as soon as we knew that we were going to draft Tom so it's hard to actually see any good reason against it IMO and it would certainly spice up draft night. If we had traded down to 25 on the night and taken this kid then I don't think we would be seeing any of this criticism of the club now. Anyway I can't wait to see him play next year as we haven't had a really good intercept mark for a while now. Good luck Tom.
Good post

Remembering however that we were strongly linked with H McKay and then bid on himmelberg so we had to ' structure ' it this way to have a chance at those guys first ....then doedee was next on our list and good on us for pulling the trigger accordingly

I would rate Burton, Partington and Bonner especially as they had the ability to go through an U/18 comp, a reserves comp, and manage to break into an SANFL team. I would put $1 Million dollars on an SANFL club destroying any U/18 TAC cup team, the players you are competing with are of so much higher quality, you will get a few good ones at u/18 level but 80% wont ever get to even SANFL level. To get to that SANFL team they must have performed throughout the year so maybe thats is why those in particular and Milera were rated so high.

5 years ago maybe, these days the SANFL is pretty much an U/23 competition with a smaller talent pool. The TAC Cup would not be that far off anymore.

But then how could Marty come back and rub it in our faces when Burton or McKay or anyone taken after pick 17 in the ND, or anyone taken in the rookie draft, or anyone passed over this year but taken sometime in the future (ala Pav) becomes better than Doedee.

Aw c'mon, you just don't want to separate the 200-odd actual welcome posts from the rest [AHB] biggrin.png

signature WARNING.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 years ago maybe, these days the SANFL is pretty much an U/23 competition with a smaller talent pool. The TAC Cup would not be that far off anymore.

You are kidding arent you the TAC has over the half the comp that is not even capable of playing VFL, SANFL, WAFL they will be playing ammo's in their respective states if they even continue to play footy.

Didnt say I would pick him, I said he was rated higher than Doedee, I dont think we need another HBF type, do you?
Who did you say we should have picked at 17?

Wouldn't be the worst idea.

When you shut down a thread because you dont agree with the opinion of posters because it flys in the face of a club decision, is that what they call insular. Apart from a few posters the media was very critical also, and on top of that the club has tried to justify its position. Sort of gives you an indication of how the pick was certainly left field.

He hasn't had an interview with McKay to determine if he will struggle with homesickness living away from his identical twin, which is frankly is incredibly negligent for an expert recruiter like Marty.
Maybe he listened to Harry on draft night when asked if he planned on living with a brother and responding with a quick "no" to be enough to think that he might just survive away from his twin brother.

Intriguing.

Are you saying we should have taken Bonner at 17 despite every AFL club overlooking him until pick 37? You must value your opinion highly to overrule 16+ AFL recruiting departments.
I still remember back in the 2008 draft many on here were excited by the prospect of Tom Rockliff and many couldn't believe every club overlooked him in the national draft.

You can put that one down as one of the few wins for bigfooty! :D

Didnt say I would pick him, I said he was rated higher than Doedee, I dont think we need another HBF type, do you?

That's right. You didn't say. You're being extremely careful not to commit to anything. Dodging and deflecting questions while slamming the club.

I'm now certain you're nothing more than a troll, and I'm a fool for being sucked into this unfortunate eyesore on our forums.

Yes lets not question the club and see what occurs over the next 17 years, been good fun for the past 17 has it?

Most of the posts here should have been in the Draft Watch 2015 thread (or a 'Draft Watch 2015 - the washup' thread).

I enjoy watching the Crows - sure, I look forward to when we get the next Cup but I enjoy regardless.

That's right. You didn't say. You're being extremely careful not to commit to anything. Dodging and deflecting questions while slamming the club.

I'm now certain you're nothing more than a troll, and I'm a fool for being sucked into this unfortunate eyesore on our forums.

If you want my honest opinion would have gone

Burton then Collins then Mckay

Means nothing but it does match a lot of others

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back