Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of revisionist s**t canning of the Crows for not honoring the original deal to Doedee

We had a 5 year deal on offer which Tom rejected

We pulled it and then signed up our young guys on big contracts, thinking Tom was gone

When he got injured and wanted the original offer put back on, the money by that stage was already spent

What do you expect the club to do?

If the club gets end of first round compensation for him it's a massive win and shows they managed the situation perfectly

I guess when there are two teams after a player it makes a big difference to their offers (compared to one for Crouch)

Sure, but I think this is more of a case where I don't get why Brisbane would pay that much on Doedee's past performances.

Unless $700k is going to be the new $500k in this CBA cycle - in that it is what it takes to woo the good role players from other clubs in free agency.

0VDEON.gif

Pick 19 is a great result, too bad it’s a shitty draft.
Almost every year we get told it's a "shitty draft". And some of the supposed super drafts haven't really panned out anyway.

And an end of first round is a pretty useful pick even if we don't want to actually use it. We can bundle it with something else to move up, or trade into 2024. We've now got several picks in the 19-25 range which could be worth a lot to the right club.

Considering Doedee is injured and we've already found his replacement, it's a great outcome :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that leaves us with picks 19, 22 and 25, as well as 9? Obviously McKay and Gresham compo could push them out slightly.

Plenty of ammunition to go after another first round pick.
If that doesn't work, might we be able to trade 1 or 2 of these picks into next year (assuming that's a better draft or we want points for Welsh etc) if there are teams lacking early picks this year that need / want them eg Brisbane, Port or Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back