List Mgmt. Tom Lonergan recommits to Geelong after chase by the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would it matter now if we are rebuilding anyway, he had a year to go at best, and much as I love Lonergan, always have, next year is not a year of contention, on current evidence.
To me having Lonergan kept our defence rock solid while the midfield developed. Feed games to Toohey, Hamling and JK then once Lonergan retires they can step straight in. The concern for me is bottoming out. An extra year or two from Lonergan keeps us in the eight. I don't believe hitting the bottom of the ladder to rebuild works, otherwise Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs would all be challenging for flags, Port Adelaide is obviously the exception. Once we bottom out we lose our winning culture and we become another side making up the numbers.

Well looks like Hawks will 3peat then

No point in watching next year, we can't trade for shit or get quality players to the club and now our players are leaving.

Lost faith in this club
Yeh, and we haven't won any premierships recently. Ottens, Rivers, Caddy and now Clark are total spuds. Losing Ablett and Bundy has made us a laughing stock of the AFL, nothing like those well-kept Magpies and Lions.

Be thirty one next year [hardly ancient] and showed no signs of dropping off this year, so what makes you think he's suddenly going to hit the wall twelve months down the track?
I think he did start to slow down ever so slightly this year. He does, however, have that long and wiry frame of players with high longevity

So let's say we lose Lonergan, Varcoe & Bundy
Next year we lose - Enright, Johnson, Hmac, Kelly at MINIMUM.

This is looking scary

So let's say we lose Lonergan, Varcoe & Bundy
Next year we lose - Enright, Johnson, Hmac, Kelly at MINIMUM.

This is looking scary
I think SJ goes forward but agree with the others. I was really surprised we didnt pump more games into Lang etc this past season.

image_zps96340cd9.png

Who's Next? Bartel, Mackie, SJ?????????

He's contracted. He's showing no signs of decline. We have no natural replacement for him. The Bulldogs aren't going to offer us some sort of mega-deal for a 30 year old KPD. We have no incentive to let him go.

Why is this even a point of discussion? Keep him.

I guess it depends on whether people think we are a genuine premiership chance (with Lonergan) in 2015. If so, there's no question you keep him, unless a ready-made replacement is coming in via trade.

For people that think we're making up the numbers in 2015, it has to be considered whether it would be best to throw the next generation of tall defenders to the wolves (by letting Lonergan go and getting something of value in return), or whether it would be best for the next generation of tall defenders to learn alongside Lonergan, as he plays (probably) his last year in the hoops. If Lonergan is going to go anyway at the end of next year, the thought of us getting to the end of another year with Brown, Hamling, Kolodjashnij, Blicavs and perhaps Toohey combining for about eight senior games in defence worries me. At least if Lonergan was traded, they'd be forced to put a modicum of faith in the players that they drafted several years ago.

All up, I'd like Lonergan to stay and I'd like him (along with Rivers, Taylor and Mackie) to be consistently rested to provide opportunities for the younger players while he's still around to give them some guidance. But if the Dogs were to offer a second rounder, I'd definitely consider it.

Well looks like Hawks will 3peat then

No point in watching next year, we can't trade for shit or get quality players to the club and now our players are leaving.

Lost faith in this club

cat-sarc-astic I hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought letting Lake go to Hawthorn was supposed to have been win-win. We were told at the time, Bulldogs were looking for young players and wanted to put time into their young key defenders. Two years later they are trying to poach a 30 year old defender by offering three years?

We both know they will, because every time we tell them they ignore it.

Actually, I would suggest there is a near-consensus on the Geelong board that the club should have rotated/managed the veterans and given more opportunities to young players over the last three years, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say people will ignore SJ's point.

All up, I'd like Lonergan to stay and I'd like him (along with Rivers, Taylor and Mackie) to be consistently rested to provide opportunities for the younger players while he's still around to give them some guidance. But if the Dogs were to offer a second rounder, I'd definitely consider it.

That's the nasty part of the equation; we've seen very little evidence that our current regime is going to do such a thing. They have had many, many chances over the last few years and resisted it pretty consistently.

That's the nasty part of the equation; we've seen very little evidence that our current regime is going to do such a thing. They have had many, many chances over the last few years and resisted it pretty consistently.
James "clanger king" Kelly is a prime example.

Yep and watch what happens when you dare suggest he might have to play VFL for a week or two.
If I was Bews I'd be looking for a trade, the kid does absolutely everything right only to be denied for James Kelly, who is long past it. Bews, unlike other players on our list, trains to the ultimate intensity, to the point where he injured himself putting on too much muscle too quickly.

We are truly seeing the outcome of the Scott era now. Lonergan has seen how the vets were treated last year, and is getting out early before Scott had the chance to do the same to him. Loyalty needs to work both ways in a football club, and Scott has shown that he doesn't wish to reward loyalty, so neither will the players.

It is evident that he has ruined the culture of the club. That's why Christensen wants to leave and that's why Lonergan will leave. The club would be best served to rid themselves of Scott as quickly as they can, or else we'll be cellar dwellers and a feeder club like Melbourne in no time.

I hope that we won't be bent over in these trades, but history suggests we will be. Far too accommodating, and whilst that might have been fine in an era of success, it will prove blatantly detrimental now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back