Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Mitchell is a multiple All Australian, a Brownlow medallist, an MVP winner, 3 B&F's and has been top 10 in the Brownlow 3 times (top 3 twice). It's like comparing Max Lynch and Jon Ceglar because they're "similar types".

Lachie Neale is also a multiple All Australian, Brownlow medallist, MVP winner, 4 B&F's and has been top 10 in the Brownlow 3 times (top 3 twice). His record (and playing style) is almost identical to Tom Mitchell.

Would you say Lachie Neale has no place in the modern game?

Lachie Neale has made Brisbane better. Since he joined they've won 16, 14 (of 17), 15, 15 games.

Hawthorn with Mitchell have won 10, 15, 11 (he didn't play), 5 (of 17), 7, 8 games.

Those arguing for a cheap price for Mitchell will point to the fact that yeah he touches the ball a lot but does that have an impact for his team? You could say the same thing about Neale before he left Freo (good player in a poor side) but that was 4 years ago and the discussion is Mitchell's worth now. I don't think anyone would put Mitchell and Neale on a level pegging in terms of trade value currently.

I'm sure Mitchell can add something to a number of sides, but I don't see him attracting huge interest.

Lachie Neale has made Brisbane better. Since he joined they've won 16, 14 (of 17), 15, 15 games.

Hawthorn with Mitchell have won 10, 15, 11 (he didn't play), 5 (of 17), 7, 8 games.

Those arguing for a cheap price for Mitchell will point to the fact that yeah he touches the ball a lot but does that have an impact for his team? You could say the same thing about Neale before he left Freo (good player in a poor side) but that was 4 years ago and the discussion is Mitchell's worth now. I don't think anyone would put Mitchell and Neale on a level pegging in terms of trade value currently.

I'm sure Mitchell can add something to a number of sides, but I don't see him attracting huge interest.
Neale has a good team around him. Mitchell was the reason we made the top 8 in 2018, let alone top 4..

I generally like your views and this is not directed specifically at you, but basing an AFL players impact on the success of their team is the worst held view in football.

Do you really think if Neale and Mitchell swapped clubs that Hawthorn would suddenly be top 4 and Brisbane bottom 4?

When Mitchell left Grand Finalist Sydney and came to Hawthorn, did he suddenly lose his ability to have an impact, despite improving every facet of his game and becoming AA for the first time?

Did Gary Ablett Jnr suddenly lose his ability to have an impact when he was winning MVP's on the Gold Coast?
Was Tony Lockett a non-impact player? Matthew Richardson? Bob Skilton? Robert Flower?
Have Touk Miller and Patrick Cripps failed to have any impact at any point in their careers?
Did Tom Lynch and Jeremy Cameron suddenly become 'impactful' after crossing to Richmond and Geelong, despite winning Colemans and AA's at their old clubs?
Did Shane Crawford lack impact when he was the best player in the comp but suddenly become an impactful player in his last season, when he was a role player at best?

The truth is - an individual player, no matter how good, will not turn a crap team into a good one, as literally thousands of examples (including those above) demonstrate. Team results should never be the measure of individual impact in a sport where there are 22 players, 18 on field and structures, etc play such a significant part. Even the best and most consistently impactful player in the game will not make a crap side win, as the Gary Ablett Jnr example clearly shows.

I’m not sure what I’ve missed however it’s likely to be a pick slide and rise.

So I can see this in a three way trade.
Hawthorn give: Titch, 24
Hawthorn receive: 16, Future Third

Collingwood give: Pick 16
Collingwood receive: Bobby Hill, Titch

GWS give: Bobby Hill, Future Third
GWS receive: Pick 24
I’ll spew if we don’t take 16 to the draft.

I remember 2009 when oppo posters were saying almost identical stuff about Luke Ball, that he was cooked, yet he was exactly what we needed. Getting the same vibes from the Mitchell talk rn.

Not sure we’ll need to involve our first rounder though, that feels like wishful thinking from media and Hawks supporters.

I remember 2009 when oppo posters were saying almost identical stuff about Luke Ball, that he was cooked, yet he was exactly what we needed. Getting the same vibes from the Mitchell talk rn.

Not sure we’ll need to involve our first rounder though, that feels like wishful thinking from media and Hawks supporters.

The trade will most likely involve Collingwood’s 2022 second round pick, with Hawthorn paying half of his salary.

Like Gunston to Brisbane, Mitchell is a great fit for Collingwood.

It will hurt but you can't begrudge them both, we are clearly investing in the future hard.

Hoping we get something for Tom though, we won't get jack for Jack.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Magpies would only be interested in Mitchell if Brodie Grundy were to be traded to Melbourne and salary cap space opened up. Hawthorn would be prepared to pay more than $200,000 of Mitchell’s salary and look for a second round pick in any deal.

Well yeah, no s**t!

Might be a pick in the late 30s the way Collingwood are tracking. He's a more durable Adams and a great fit, that would be a steal for Collingwood

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

We need to replace Gunston, Mitchell, McEvoy, Shiels, Howe, Phillips, Callow, Downie and Hartigan from the list.

A single future second in exchange for Tom Mitchell is absolutely not going to cut it. Not necessarily because of his worth, but because our immediate list needs greater gains than that.

Mitchell and 24 for 16 is a fair exchange for a side who just lost a preliminary final by 1 point.

Hearing Hawthorn will pay around 45% of Tom Mitchell's contract for 2023, i think his contract is 700-800k.
From the article about Gunston going to Brisbane

Hawthorn would be prepared to pay more than $200,000 of Mitchell’s salary and look for a second round pick in any deal.

From the article about Gunston going to Brisbane

Yeah mine's from a mate who sends stuff over, he also broke some news regarding like Amons deal (being 535k not 650k, which David Noble said it was much less than people thought.)

Aswell as the whole Gunston 100% going to Brissy.

But yeah it's a fair chunk of his contract. (45% aka almost half.) doubt it'd be low like 200k, gotta absolutely sell it.

Of course they will get them all done, they're all average.

Yes Mitchell will help with total clearance numbers no doubt about that.....so would Matt Crouch. Problem is they offer very little other than that and they are sloooowwww.

As for Richmond getting bent over we shall see. I'd prefer to be bringing in quality over quantity but that's only possible when you can manage a salary cap effectively.

Costing you Graham, this is what happens when you over pay to bring players in, loyal players walk.

We need to hold our 1st, no player we are connected with is worth trading our 1st for.
Sounds like a 2nd round pick will get it done. I'm pretty confident this time next year Pies fans will realise they got themselves a bargain when he is your leading ball winner, leading contested possession winner, leading clearance players, etc, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back