Autopsy Toothless Bulldogs overcome Norf in a game not for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

JUH put himself in a position enough times but just couldn't close the deal. Just had an off day ... like Biden. It happens. Next week he might hold onto everything.

The whole team looked like they were carrying a few cobwebs. Norf gave us a reminder that you don't have to be far off to be at risk against any team. I'll take that reminder and the 4 points.

We look close to finding our best team and combination. One, maybe 2 spots up for grabs but that's it.
Mate, I get it about JUH having a bad day, but Biden had an end of career moment. The guy was a total embarrassment not only to himself but the world. If that is the kind of leadership the US is dishing up then we are totally f$cked!
PS. I dislike Trump tremendously.

Could just be confidence. I saw that vision of him runnig off harmes and kicking a running goal in practice. Then when the real stuff starts and he has the chance to kick a running goal he avoids it.

Any mid that can get a regular gig in his first year generally goes on to have a great career though.
Yes , I mentioned this before too.
Beautiful kick on the run and easily went through
Must be purely confidence.

Also delusion 101 amongst so many Norf fans at the game yesterday, supposedly none of them would take Cody because of his diving, Paul Curtis already better etc….
Someone needs to remind them that they had one of the biggest diving and sniping teams ever. Harvey, Thomas, Thompson, the list goes on.

Just get him to drive around Melbourne during peak hour. That should get him there eventually
Literally. Whether I am in a good mood, or a bad mood when I arrive to work. Depends on how many D heads I encounter on the road during my hour and half drive. For a region that drives a lot, has more hazards and obstacles. I'm amazed at how terrible city drivers are compared to regional counterparts.

JOD, Freija, Gallagher and Sanders have been excellent recruits. The upside is amazing. Great from the recruiters. Freijah is my fav
Yep, all in on Freijah. He has that most precious of commodities. Time. Already you can see that he processes the game at a speed that many can't. When his fitness and match experience catch up he's going to be fantastic for us.

Yep, all in on Freijah. He has that most precious of commodities. Time. Already you can see that he processes the game at a speed that many can't. When his fitness and match experience catch up he's going to be fantastic for us.
I also love the way he gets around the other blokes, flies the flag in heated moments and is happy to mix it up with more senior opposition players.

Got a bit of leadership about him, young Joel.

Question: if Bont hadn’t been able to play would we still have beaten North?
IF Norf's best player hadn't been able to play would they have been competitive?

I don't know why we torture ourselves with these sort of questions. Bont played, it was a fairly comfortable win with some poor goal kicking that we dominated most of and the stats say so. Norf has also been pretty damn competitive recently and should have beaten Melbourne and Collingwood so they're going fairly well.

But because some supporters feel the team should belt Norf it must have been a shit effort.

Not every game is going to be pretty with perfect skills. You're meant to actually appreciate a scrap because that is how many finals are played

Mate, I get it about JUH having a bad day, but Biden had an end of career moment. The guy was a total embarrassment not only to himself but the world. If that is the kind of leadership the US is dishing up then we are totally f$cked!
PS. I dislike Trump tremendously.
Was being a little tongue in cheek PL. Bad days on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a mildly off day and 10 being a disaster, JUH was about a 3 and Biden a 10. But a bad day nonetheless. As you point out though, one is likely to recover.

Went this week with the wifey and left a bit dispapointed tha we didnt go on and win by 8-10 goals when we were 38 points up. I still think we dont take the game on enough, especiallyl through the corridor. However, a win is a win and we shall take it.

I have been a harsh critic of lobb but his intesity yesterday was first class and fingers crossed he accepts this new role and puts in like he did more consistently. The difference being is he is allowed to play from behind in the backline and isn't worried about copping a whack int he back of the head cosistently and is allowed to use his reach to spoil rather than getting pushed under the ball up forward.

My bigegst concern from our current line up, and its nothing against these three players, but when you have sanders, vandemeer and mcrae all up forward we just dont look like it. They are not natural forwards and most of the time dont look dangerous and very rarely look like kicking a goal. i know Mcrae kicked 3 a few weeks ago but relaistically he doesnt look it and the other two dont either.
Spot on. I think Harmes has to come back in for another goal scoring half forward option, with the added bonus that he can tag.

While I made an earlier post critical of JUH, I'll now add one in his defence. Watching from L3 directly above the goals, during the last quarter as the ball was heading inside our F50 from the city side flank, he was in the square setting himself to lead. Corr was holding him with both arms. Not blocking, not just laying an arm across him (although he did that too in the tussle), just a straight out hold. The field umpire closest was watching, made to raise his whistle to his mouth, then changed his mind. Weightman came in and got between JUH and Corr, and tried to help out. Was 40-50m ahead of the ball, there would be vision of it, but it wasn't in play so not sure broadcasters or commentators would care. We had a less blatant one paid against Jones(?) earlier in the game. If that was Curnow, I doubt the umpire would have hesitated. The reason I hate umpires is their inability to apply consistency. I get they have an overlord intent on creating confusion with rule 'tweaks' throughout a season, but the ability to apply consistency by virtually the entire AFL umpiring group is a blight on the game.

And I'm just talking about within a game, even within a quarter. Don't get me started on consistency across a round, let alone a season!

Spigotts the lot of them, just like their self-pleasuring masters at AFL HQ.

Anyway, like others, I'll take the win and move on.
Earlier poster also talking about Clarkson complaining about Weightman in the presser plays into this inconsistency.

Coaches or media highlighting this either consciously or unconsciously affects the umpiring of that player rather than umps just applying the rules across the board evenly. We see this happen all the time, Ginnivan at Collingwood or even back to Toby McLean. Media draw attention to it and the free kicks just don't get paid, whether there or not. Ginnivan is now just a free hit for anyone wanting to tackle him high.

Curnow is getting attention from the umps, Hawkins always seemed to get his share of holding / chopping frees paid. Its frustrating to see this stuff when the rules don't apply evenly. Media have a lot to answer for by applying far too much scrutiny to errors. Most of these changes to interpretation are the umpiring department fearing another negative news segment in the football media.

Pick 6 is oddly cursed. On average plays far fewer games than 5 and 7.

View attachment 2035643

Macrae’s the best pick 6 of the last couple of decades, and comparing his first season to Sanders, there are similarities. Macrae averaged one more disposal, Sanders two more tackles. Sanders ahead in clearances, time on ground % both quite low.

A good first season also doesn’t have to mean a great career ahead. Jaidyn Stephenson was another pick 6. Had a very good first year.
Pick four used to the be cursed pick. Bont has gone a long way to curing that.

Previously Tim Walsh, Ryan Fitzgerald, Luke Livingston, Graham Polak, Tambling etc. Was a major outlier.

IF Norf's best player hadn't been able to play would they have been competitive?

I don't know why we torture ourselves with these sort of questions. Bont played, it was a fairly comfortable win with some poor goal kicking that we dominated most of and the stats say so. Norf has also been pretty damn competitive recently and should have beaten Melbourne and Collingwood so they're going fairly well.

But because some supporters feel the team should belt Norf it must have been a shit effort.

Not every game is going to be pretty with perfect skills. You're meant to actually appreciate a scrap because that is how many finals are played
You've misread the whole point of the question, but no problem, it was no big deal.
Let's move on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick four used to the be cursed pick. Bont has gone a long way to curing that.

Previously Tim Walsh, Ryan Fitzgerald, Luke Livingston, Graham Polak, Tambling etc. Was a major outlier.
Don't forget Jimmy Toumpas.

We get a mention here (but only once, fortunately):

Sanders will be a gun. Very confident in that.

He was whacked hard by Bevo early days this season for doing too much above his pay grade and the team was suffering, hence his dropping.

I don’t agree with the way he was handled ‘cos you can see the effect it’s had on his game now but another preseason where he can lock down the structural requirements and he will blossom. He’s a good kick and can defintely play the game on the inside transitioning out. It was why he was drafted so early.

Don't forget Jimmy Toumpas.

We get a mention here (but only once, fortunately):
Oh I hadn’t forgotten. And the article raised Anthony Morabito (desperately unlucky with injury but I guess that’s the point).

Bont and Oliver seemed to buck the trend but Oliver now seems hellbent on restoring its status.

I have been a harsh critic of lobb but his intesity yesterday was first class and fingers crossed he accepts this new role and puts in like he did more consistently. The difference being is he is allowed to play from behind in the backline and isn't worried about copping a whack int he back of the head...

Somewhat ironically, this is JUH's visible 'problem' atm. Dropping marks because he is expecting contact.
He's almost unplayably 'soft'. (And I don't mean that in some faux tough guy way, I mean relative AFL professionally so...)

It's also one of the reasons he's giving out sprays, because he wants the perfect pass every time. Out in front on a lead. No contact.

English...yeah... Maybe he needs an early whack behind the ear each week.

Coaches Votes

North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Rory Lobb (WB)
6 Liam Jones (WB)
3 Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
3 Charlie Comben (NMFC)
1 Tom Liberatore (WB)

Coaches Votes

North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Rory Lobb (WB)
6 Liam Jones (WB)
3 Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
3 Charlie Comben (NMFC)
1 Tom Liberatore (WB)

Lobb played well, but Jones ensured their only genuine KPF had no impact on the game, so personally I'd have swapped them.

But TWO key defenders rated in the best 3 players on the ground by coaches! The old key defender in me loves to see it.

I just hope in r23 Weightman plays well enough that Clarkson is forced to give him votes, maybe a nice 8 to go with another 10 for a Brownlow-bound Marcus, Lord of the West. 🙂

Lobby's coming good. Clearly has done exactly what was required of him to/at a high level in the last couple of games. 🫰May it continue to September

Sanders will be a gun. Very confident in that.

He was whacked hard by Bevo early days this season for doing too much above his pay grade and the team was suffering, hence his dropping.

I don’t agree with the way he was handled ‘cos you can see the effect it’s had on his game now but another preseason where he can lock down the structural requirements and he will blossom. He’s a good kick and can defintely play the game on the inside transitioning out. It was why he was drafted so early.
He is quite slow unfortunately - no chasing down blokes for Sanders.

Just an observation yesterday, nearly every game there is a person (most often, but not exclusively a younger person), tossing the coin. I like that aspect, whether they've won a competition or overcome/still battling personal adversity, it's a way for mere mortals to be directly engaged with at least the captains of each team. And those same captains, across the board, and regardless of who the guest coin tosser supports, are polite and acknowledge them.
No guest coin tosser yesterday. Not potting anyone for it, it just appeared something was missing. Pity, as it's something our game usually does well, acknowledging fans who after all are a large part of the fabric of the sport.

Anyhoo, no biggie.
I'm led to believe the coin tosser was a corporate sponsor of North's but actually a Bulldog supporter. Forced to wear a North scarf though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back