Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of interest, who is?
Whenever Rioli gets the ball, it generally leads to a score. Not many small forwards can say that.

this is what caught my eye, even if he doesn't get a goal assist he extracts the ball from impossible situations and it leads to a goal.

Leigh Adams. You know a player's underrated when he's not even highly rated enough to make people's underrated lists.
Adams has been mentioned numerous times in this thread! If he keeps getting mentioned then there's a decent argument to be said that he's overrated :)

I think he's is a decent AFL player, but not yet a star. Fits nicely into your midfield and is very consistent week in, week out. Would rate Swallow ahead of him, but not by a long way.

Steven Milne, Eddie Betts, Jeff Garlett are alot more damaging

The only statistic that Milne beats Cyril at is goals per game, which is offset by Rioli beating him in score assists per game.

Eddie Betts and Jeff Garlett's statistics put them in the Luke Breust range, despite him playing like 48% game time to their over 80%. Please give me some players who actually show that he is nowhere near the best.

Also, even if those three were more damaging, how does Rioli being the fourth most damaging small put him not the best 'by a long shot'?

The only statistic that Milne beats Cyril at is goals per game, which is offset by Rioli beating him in score assists per game.

Eddie Betts and Jeff Garlett's statistics put them in the Luke Breust range, despite him playing like 48% game time to their over 80%. Please give me some players who actually show that he is nowhere near the best.

Also, even if those three were more damaging, how does Rioli being the fourth most damaging small put him not the best 'by a long shot'?

Stats lie, Milne has been the best and most damaging small forward of the past 10 years.

Stats lie, Milne has been the best and most damaging small forward of the past 10 years.

no doubt from a career eperspective he's ahead of everyeone, but rioli was probably ahead of him this year for the reasons i stated.

Well now that we've cleared that up, we can all move on, considering Cyril hasn't been playing for ten years. I wouldn't call Franklin or Cloke the best or most damaging forwards over the last ten years, but you'd be an idiot to not take them over just about any other forward.

I know who i would rather have in my team. And if i were a small defender, i know who i would rather be opposed to.

He got 26 goals over 17games which wasnt a good year IMO
But but but he had goals assists, If goal assists mattered more than goals Chris Judd and Joel Selwood would be known for there goal assists which they arent
Milne
Betts
Garlett
Lecras
Jurrah
Nicoski
all finished with at least 10 more goals than rioli and there are others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Tigers,

Houli - Had an outstanding year
Nahas - not even rated by our own supporters
Rance - Still being called a dud after a breakout year

Other teams,

Andrew Swallow is a gun IMO, and whilst he is rated now he is still not rated highly enough.

Sidebottom is another who slips under the radar yet is a genuinely very good player

Zaharakis has been given very little recognition and just won a B&F in a top 8 team.

^
Don Cassisi. As good as a Luke Ball and as good a inside mid as J. Watson imo (not as versatile, however).

What the? Strange comment, I think you got it around the wrong way. Not in the same league as inside midfielders, but Cassisi is at least more versatile than Watson (most players in the league would be).

Everyone has been talking Higgins up for YEARS now, yet he hasn't come close to delivering. If anything he is very over-rated .............

Who do people think is better out of Stokes and Varcoe out of interest?
Obviously biased, but if we were to lose one of those, Varcoe would be the one to keep. Huge talent, speed, will only get better. Stokes, good player, no X factor. We need some X factor players.

What the? Strange comment, I think you got it around the wrong way. Not in the same league as inside midfielders, but Cassisi is at least more versatile than Watson (most players in the league would be).

He's 190cm (started his career at CHF/HF) and picks up 26 odd touches a game and in 2011 booted 15 goals (from 17 games). He had similar stats to Judd, Pendlebury and Murphy in this regard - in terms of averages as Watson missed a chunk of football.

I can't seen how you could possibly then say most players in the league are more versatile than Watson. He might be slow but he's still versatile.

Scott Thompson, the NM one. Quick, courageous, skilled, undersized for a lot of his opponents. No mention. Very under something, rated, recognised

Tom Lonergan. Our most important key defender, not bad cosidering he's amongst Scarlett, Taylor, Enright.

Todd Goldstein. Not a bad game this year. Should have been AA. Would walk into any team as #1 ruck.

James Gwilt. Missed him as much as Saints missed Lenny Hayes.

Sydney. Saw them beat us, Recognised Goodes, Mummy, and #5. The rest, no idea, but very good players.

Jordan Lewis. Always competitive, skilled and not mentioned as one to watch out for when Hawks are the opposition. Nearly beat Pies in Prelim.

Priddis. Often read or hear disparaging comments about him. CAN AND DOES PLAY REALLY WELL.

Milne. Apart from the pestilence factor, has been the best of his kind for a long time.,

Daniel Wells. Suffers from ratings confusion. Easily one of the most damaging and skilled mids in the AFL. Is now underrated, IMO.

Zaharakis. B &F Winner. Seriously gun player.

He got 26 goals over 17games which wasnt a good year IMO
But but but he had goals assists, If goal assists mattered more than goals Chris Judd and Joel Selwood would be known for there goal assists which they arent
Milne
Betts
Garlett
Lecras
Jurrah
Nicoski
all finished with at least 10 more goals than rioli and there are others

Wait so you are saying that if Rioli kicks a goal, it is worth more than if he passes off and Buddy kicks the goal? Holy jesus, i guess i've been doing it wrong. I guess Breust is a better player than Cyril because he kicked more goals. The things you learn...

Wait so you are saying that if Rioli kicks a goal, it is worth more than if he passes off and Buddy kicks the goal? Holy jesus, i guess i've been doing it wrong. I guess Breust is a better player than Cyril because he kicked more goals. The things you learn...
Breust had a better 2011
A forwards job is to kick goals
Are you saying that Joel Selwood had a better 2011 around goal because he averaged more GA
My point is that if Buddy kicks 70goals in a season but Rioli kicks 40 but had more Goal assists you dont say that cyril was better around goal
I think you should just admit that he had a bad 2011
Oh and even if you added on all the goal assists he got he still wouldve been behind other small forwards

Breust had a better 2011
A forwards job is to kick goals
Are you saying that Joel Selwood had a better 2011 around goal because he averaged more GA
My point is that if Buddy kicks 70goals in a season but Rioli kicks 40 but had more Goal assists you dont say that cyril was better around goal
I think you should just admit that he had a bad 2011
Oh and even if you added on all the goal assists he got he still wouldve been behind other small forwards

Firstly, Cyril missed games, so stop talking about totals as if they are a fair comparison. Secondly, Cyril does play midfield a bit, so he is less likely to kick goals, and more likely to get goal assists.

If buddy kicked 70 goals and had no goal assists, and Rioli had 0 goals but 70 goal assists, then i don't see how that shows buddy had a better season. Cyril would have to have played a significant portion of midfield time in order to get that many assists, but if he did get 70 as a small forward, i would say that is one of the best seasons ever by a small forward.

I didn't say that Cyril had a good season. but that just proves that he is more dangerous than the other forwards you listed. The fact that he can have a bad season and still match/be better statistically shows he is better.

Also, by your logic, how did Adam Goodes make AA in the forward line over Riewoldt, kennedy, hall, Podsiadly, etc., when they kicked more goals then him?

Goals are not the only relevant statistic. it is pretty naive to think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back