Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cox: ~$500k
Thomas: unknown, probably ~$400k?
Mayne: unknown, probably ~$300k
Greenwood: unknown, probably ~$150k
Sier: unknown, probably ~$200k

I think $2m is quite generous, and $3m is nigh on impossible. These are just my estimations, but I can't imagine the latter 3 are paid much more than that.
No player gets paid under 300k..

I don't think Lynch's rumoured contract extension means anything for Grundy. We need him as ruck depth behind Gryndy/Cameron until Begg is ready.

If I was Lynch I'd definitely be going elsewhere though.

But I mean if you traded Grundy to North for Pick 1...

I reckon they've got Begg earmarked as a KPP not ruck.

That doesn't equate to Maynard going. There will be others offloaded before Maynard, l would guarantee that...

I reckon the risk is if Maynard wants out. It's not whether we can accomodate him.

I reckon he would be if he put himself out there. There are several clubs who need a solid backup ruck for now and will need a #1 ruck in 1-2 years time.

Then he might be just happy to stay at Collingwood being a Back-Up Ruckman like he be at other Clubs

"The Giants and Blues have a lengthy trade history, with 11 players moving from the western Sydney club to Carlton over the past decade: Kristian Jaksch, Mark Whiley, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips, Lachie Plowman, Liam Sumner, Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett, Matthew Kennedy, Will Setterfield and Zac Williams (free agent)."

Oh dear.....

There are players under 300k, usually would be rookies I would think.

The average senior primary list player would get between 250-350k. Mid tier around 400k. 500-600k would be your upper tier then of course you have your elite tier above 600k.

This is my assumption. Without salaries being known, we're guessing.

Cox: ~$500k
Thomas: unknown, probably ~$400k?
Mayne: unknown, probably ~$300k
Greenwood: unknown, probably ~$150k
Sier: unknown, probably ~$200k

I think $2m is quite generous, and $3m is nigh on impossible. These are just my estimations, but I can't imagine the latter 3 are paid much more than that.
It depends when they signed. Isn't the average Afl wage around the 250 to 300k mark? Sier for example played in a grand final and looked to be on the up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did we go from offloading Stephenson treloar Phillips atu to have the cash to make a big play on bont/Merrett/Kelly to needing to trade more players to be within the cap...

someone is lying and I suspect it’s our list management team trying to save face from last year lol

Looks like Cerra will go to Carlton
Carlton killing us on list management / salaries... so frustrating. If they land a decent coach, heaven help us.

How they can fit Walsh, Weitering, Cripps, Saad, McKay, Williams, Jones, Martin, Curnow, Curnow, Marchbank and all of their B grade midfielders into the cap, with space for Cerra... makes us look like absolute amateurs.

Carlton killing us on list management / salaries... so frustrating. If they land a decent coach, heaven help us.

How they can fit Walsh, Weitering, Cripps, Saad, McKay, Williams, Jones, Martin, Curnow, Curnow, Marchbank and all of their B grade midfielders into the cap, with space for Cerra... makes us look like absolute amateurs.
And they need to offer Cerra 800K to be competitive with Freo's offer (750K).

You're joking, right?

They're going down the exact same path that we did, except that every single buy they've made recently hasn't made them any better whereas we were theoretically still in a (brief) premiership window.

The Harry McKay / Jacob Weitering sweepstakes are going to be interesting in a couple of years time when Carlton are still rubbish and their cap is in worse shape than ours that's for sure.

You're joking, right?

They're going down the exact same path that we did, except that every single buy they've made recently hasn't made them any better whereas we were theoretically still in a (brief) premiership window.

The Harry McKay / Jacob Weitering sweepstakes are going to be interesting in a couple of years time when Carlton are still rubbish and their cap is in worse shape than ours that's for sure.
agree that the Martin deal was terrible, and that others have misfired, but how they can still vy for big trades with all of those highly paid players on their list p*sses me off. They just havent had to deal with things like the Beams, Treloar & Phillips contributions... along with Cox, Stephenson, Wells, Mayne, WHE, Thomas, Grundy, Sier & Greenwood holding us back.

We overspent, whilst they saved... and have the excess to play with now.

We also did the opposite of what Richmond and Hawthorn were able to achieve. Use the premiership contention as a way to get a discount on salaries. We instead paid a premium to retain average players, who over-achieved getting us to the big dance.

Last edited:

Don`t forget the absurd contract they gave Mitch McGovern, $ 800 thousand dollars a year over 5 seasons , how the f#ck are they under the cap, but am over the moon with the return on investment the Blose got out of that deal, gift that keeps on giving

People need to remember that a player leaving very rarely means a gap in the salary cap, unless the player is genuinely poached and wasn't forecasted to leave.

Like if Rantall doesn't get a new contract, it doesn't mean we magically have 100k to throw towards our next trade target. It probably gets eaten up by Youi Dib.

And Mayne retiring doesn't magically open the door for 250k, it was probably technically forecasted to be swallowed up by Grundy's big contract.

Same goes end of next year... Roughy hangs them up and maybe it goes towards Maynard's next contract.

The thing that seemingly kills us (from the outside looking in) is when someone has a big year when coming out of contract and we pay the price on that one year.

agree that the Martin deal was terrible, and that others have misfired, but how they can still vy for big trades with all of those highly paid players on their list p*sses me off. They just havent had to deal with things like the Beams, Treloar & Phillips contributions... along with Cox, Stephenson, Wells, Mayne, WHE, Thomas, Grundy, Sier & Greenwood holding us back.

We overspent, whilst they saved... and have the excess to play with now.

We also did the opposite of what Richmond and Hawthorn were able to achieve. Use the premiership contention as a way to get a discount on salaries. We instead paid a premium to retain average players, that over-achieved getting us to the big dance.

I wouldn't be envious of what Carlton has done for any reason, especially considering they've been stinking it up down towards the bottom of the ladder and have had access to top 5-10 draft picks for years now.

This, however, is just another example demonstrating why we specifically need to go back to the draft for the next couple of years, keep building our next contender from the ground up around a solid group of kids that have all come along together and then look to bring in a few key recruits in areas of need (whilst not overpaying for them them) a few years from now when the kids are also ready to step it up.

You simply can't buy your way to success in this game if you're not already pretty good and it's a rather painful lesson Carlton is going to learn (again) in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back