List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So clubs try to build an ‘all for one and one for all’ mentality and you want to ship of a great servant of the club.

If someone comes for him and he wants to go fine, but forcing him out would do more harm than the limited reward you would get for him at this stage in his career.
I think he'll be back to being a gun next year.

Last edited:
So clubs try to build an ‘all for one and one for all’ mentality and you want to ship of a great servant of the club.

If someone comes for him and he wants to go fine, but forcing him out would do more harm than the limited reward you would get for him at this stage in his career.
It’s a basic concept isn’t it? Yet so many here fail to understand it

I think this is right. I wouldn’t be pushing Sidebottom out the door but if there was a conversation had and he wanted to pursue one more premiership elsewhere then I would not be opposed to facilitating that.

I’d be the same with a player such as Elliott and also WHE.

Other than that the only players I’d be looking at moving on specifically are the Cox and Sier types.

It’s why I think we’ll be very quiet this trade period.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is where I'm at. I was sorely disappointed in how he played this season, and in the heat of the moment probably called for him to be traded - but it would be silly to force out a long-time servant who is also a vice-captain when we're already undergoing so much change. A little bit of stability will go a long way in this transition.

I think this is right. I wouldn’t be pushing Sidebottom out the door but if there was a conversation had and he wanted to pursue one more premiership elsewhere then I would not be opposed to facilitating that.

I’d be the same with a player such as Elliott and also WHE.

Other than that the only players I’d be looking at moving on specifically are the Cox and Sier types.

It’s why I think we’ll be very quiet this trade period.

I’m not sure what the rules are, but I hope the club looks to trade out our first round draft pick in 2022 for a selection of lower picks this year.
It will take care of our Daicos points and allow us to draft some more talent. Another draft like last year and we’ll be well placed. We can then look for FA talent in 2023.
As for guys out of contract like Cox, Sier and Thomas, they have no trade value. If a club comes for Cox, great, trade him. Same for Sier and Thomas. If not, we wait until after the draft to make a call on their future.

You open up this thread expecting to read some ridiculously stupid sh*t, but even those expectations are subverted by posts suggesting our list is in the same position as Melbourne's was at the end of 2019.

Good to see that at least the meth business hasn't suffered during lockdown.

you are such a cheery soul when ever you venture onto this board.

You open up this thread expecting to read some ridiculously stupid sh*t, but even those expectations are subverted by posts suggesting our list is in the same position as Melbourne's was at the end of 2019.

Good to see that at least the meth business hasn't suffered during lockdown.
I'd like to see your breakdown of the differences.

I’m not sure what the rules are, but I hope the club looks to trade out our first round draft pick in 2022 for a selection of lower picks this year.
It will take care of our Daicos points and allow us to draft some more talent. Another draft like last year and we’ll be well placed. We can then look for FA talent in 2023.
As for guys out of contract like Cox, Sier and Thomas, they have no trade value. If a club comes for Cox, great, trade him. Same for Sier and Thomas. If not, we wait until after the draft to make a call on their future.

I think we’ll be fun shy on moving our 2022 first for picks again but I don’t think there’s anything stopping us given we took 3 1st rounds last year.

I’m in favor of trading our future 2nd if we have one draft night though so that we get another pick after Daicos is settled. I think we should only do that for a tall though such as Van Rooyen or Bazzo if they are there though.

Not sure if sarcasm?
No way would I want to let go a potential top 5 pick again and lose the chance of losing top end draft talent.
Future 2nd for Richmonds picks 28 and 38 could possibly work as they have 3 picks before that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where I'm at. I was sorely disappointed in how he played this season, and in the heat of the moment probably called for him to be traded - but it would be silly to force out a long-time servant who is also a vice-captain when we're already undergoing so much change. A little bit of stability will go a long way in this transition.

I'm not as convinced that he was as bad as people suggest. I think a lot of it may have been structure. You'd need to be seeing it live though. But how many times did he and Daicos create space, look upfield and then have to try to create space again before just doing a dump kick that turned over - or in Sidey's case often get caught holding the ball.

I'm not as convinced that he was as bad as people suggest. I think a lot of it may have been structure. You'd need to be seeing it live though. But how many times did he and Daicos create space, look upfield and then have to try to create space again before just doing a dump kick that turned over - or in Sidey's case often get caught holding the ball.
I was more disappointed in his tackling than anything else. It was his worst tackling season on record.

I'm so much more depressed at the state of our list - or at least our 2021 performance - after seeing Sidebottom come 5th in the B&F.

If he wasn't such a "heart and soul" player I'd be trying to use him in a trade to get a ~25 year old inside mid from elsewhere...

Haven't worked out who just yet though...

where does he finish if Moore, Howe, Elliot, Adams have full seasons?

So clubs try to build an ‘all for one and one for all’ mentality and you want to ship off a great servant of the club.

Steele hasn’t been all for one and one for all for some time. Clubs in contention pay overs for players like him, we could get a second round pick which can equate to a lot!

Clarkson did it at hawthorn, if it’s good for him it’s good for us.

I was more disappointed in his tackling than anything else. It was his worst tackling season on record.
Yeah - he seemed flat - I'm hoping it was to do with a general staleness, lack of energy around the place due to the club's woes and it returns next year - Grundy too.

Moore and De Goey realistically are on a salary that won't dramatically change for their next contract. I personally believe there is enough loyalty there to protect any overs from clubs like north. If they are restricted FA I think we would just about match anything unless a club has space to offer an unprecedented yearly salary or injuries/behaviour impacted our decisions.

Maynard is rightly due for a contract bump. He will get it, there's no doubt. Given Elliot, Howe, Pendles, Steele and WHE are out of contract end of next year there will be room to move.

Can't recall the length and $ we are covering Treloar but across the above and players like J Daicos that amount we are paying will be smoothed out to be as close to irrelevant as possible.

Will leave us with:
- Grundy
- De Goey
- Moore
- Maynard
- Adams
As our Multi year higher $$ contracts.

Sounds alot like a team that was 17th 2 years ago with:
- Gawn
- Petracca
- May
- Lever
- Oliver

Too much logic here!

What do you think we need to find each year? Across all three I’d say $600k? Maybe $800k if they all finish top 5 B&F? With the players you mentioned off contract that’ll be like shelling peas! The follow on from that is if all three of JDG, Moore and Maynard have seasons that see them finish that highly in our B&F where do we finish the season?

That to me says Wade was a success in year 1 because all three remained healthy (an accomplishment for JDG and Moore), it says our defence stood up under Leppa and it says that they’ve bought in to McRae’s system. If you ticking those boxes and Grundy’s finishing top 6 in our B&F in 2021 you’d think he’s improving to be another top 5 finisher as well. If we got that level of output from those 4 with the established senior support cast we have in place (Crisp, Adams, Mihocek, Elliott and J Daicos) I would be surprised if we weren’t at least in the hunt for a top 8 finish*.

The discussion also provides an insight into why we as a club struggled to handle our salary cap because Rendell played a key role in our list yet he was the one that raised the discussion. I think part of it was to generate follow up discussion, but I genuinely believe he thinks those three coming off contract together will impact our ability to retain the likes of Henry, Macrae, N Daicos and McInnes in 3 years time.

*I’m skeptical we get that level of output from those 4. Hopeful obviously because JDG and Moore can now take AFL loads (neither’s had a soft tissue injury since 2019), but under a new high performance boss I’m expecting teething issues for some younger guys as they adjust to different loads (the big worry I have is McInnes who’s basically been injured since 2019 and had a poor tank when he entered the system) which unfortunately will have a flow on effect. The one positive is we came out of 2021 very healthy with Crisp the only guy facing a delayed start to the pre-season AFAIK.

Last edited:
where does he finish if Moore, Howe, Elliot, Adams have full seasons?

Exactly. He finished that high because many of our best players spent lengthy periods injured. And we had nobody else in the early to mid 20s age bracket to rise to the challenge. The only obvious missing name from that top ten was Mihocek who had a good but not great year.

Too much logic here!

What do you think we need to find each year? Across all three I’d say $600k? Maybe $800k if they all finish top 5 B&F? With the players you mentioned off contract that’ll be like shelling peas! The follow on from that is if all three of JDG, Moore and Maynard have seasons that see them finish that highly in our B&F where do we finish the season?

That to me says Wade was a success in year 1 because all three remained healthy (an accomplishment for JDG and Moore), it says our defence stood up under Leppa and it says that they’ve bought in to McRae’s system. If you ticking those boxes and Grundy’s finishing top 6 in our B&F in 2021 you’d think he’s improving to be another top 5 finisher as well. If we got that level of output from those 4 with the established senior support cast we have in place (Crisp, Adams, Mihocek, Elliott and J Daicos) I would be surprised if we weren’t at least in the hunt for a top 8 finish*.

The discussion provides also provides an insight into why we as a club struggled to handle our salary cap because Rendell played a key role in our list yet he was the one that raised the discussion. I think part of it was to generate follow up discussion, but I genuinely believe he thinks those three coming off contract together will impact our ability to retain the likes of Henry, Macrae, N Daicos and McInnes in 3 years time.

*I’m skeptical we get that level of output from those 4. Hopeful obviously because JDG and Moore can now take AFL loads (neither’s had a soft tissue injury since 2019), but under a new high performance boss I’m expecting teething issues for some younger guys as they adjust to different loads (the big worry I have is McInnes who’s basically been injured since 2019 and had a poor tank when he entered the system) which unfortunately will have a flow on effect. The one positive is we came out of 2021 very healthy with Crisp the only guy facing a delayed start to the pre-season AFAIK.
Lost me at Rendell.

No room on our list for extra picks, especially if you want to bring in Stengle as a rookie.

To quote Gaben from a few pages back when that troll referenced an “el cheapo” option. Tardrew is an el crappo option! I love his effort at that level, but ****ed if I know how he won the B&F ahead of Wilson and he’d make Madgen look a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back