List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is but the you should get a discount for staying at clubs and i think the mega offer from the roos is the outlier. As a poster said if its ok for danger to take $800k then why is it no for dusty or Lynch?

Danger took 800k 2 years before Dusty, the salary cap rose between 20-25% in those 2 years. Which would make 800k about 960-1mill. You can be assured that Danger had the automatic pay rise from the cap in his contract.

And Dusty is a better player hence he gets 1.1 mill ;)

Last edited:
When i hear comments like the player owes the club for selecting them in the draft at picks #1 - #30 i think to myself he doesnt owe them Sh!t as the player was getting selected on his talents by another club anyway.

But when a player gets selected by a club as a Rookie and gets given 3 years of development and gifted games early on and been paid to be in a elite environment when it was extremely unlikely he would have been selected by another club and could have been playing VFL/WAFL/SANFL for 4/5 years and maybe never becoming the player he is now. He Owes the Club

Jayden Short - You Owe Richmond

What a load of ****ing shit. He doesn't owe the club shit. Regardless of what pick he is selected Richmond considered him to be the best available talent at that pick, which is no different from the guy we picked with our first. But where he was picked is irrelevant, what matters is how hard he has worked to be in the position that he is now. If he has worked harder, trained harder and subsequently become a better player then he deserves to be paid based on those performances and to a certain extent what other clubs are offering him.

Never understood the thinking that anyone who doesn't immediately sign what they are first offered are shit blokes. They are more than entitled to try and get the best deal they can, it's their livelihood, and a very short one at that.

From all reports Short and management want X, we are offering Y, and they are some way apart at the moment. I would think that's not uncommon at all at the beginning of negotiations, and I have full faith in our footy department which have been exceptional at it for the last 5 years, to work it out and strike a deal that suits both parties.

Really doubt Short will be going anywhere.

On other matters, Beams would be great and I don't doubt he would be open to a move back home, but I doubt we could do it if we end up landing Lynch. I think retaining all the players we want (see Short) and bringing in Lynch will take us pretty close to the brim. Only thing I could see is a fringe inside mid coming in, t71's mention of CEY makes sense there, cheap, fills a need.

I concur. It depends on what we could get. A second rounder yes. A third rounder, maybe. Need to leave all options on table. There’s about 10 blokes on the list that are untouchables but everyone else, see what comes up.

I think we need to buy back into this draft so it might mean some players need to be put up for trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wait & See approach will do me for now.See what clubs are willing too offer.If he re signs in the meantime then we move onto others.

I am the same im 46y/o and seen way to many shit teams for us, and want this run to go for as long as possible. I just think 1.1m is the same as 1m for players on that coin.
That just doesn't add up.I'm over 50 and I'm pretty sure the flea won a flag while i was in my teens.

Shorty around 300k start point the way he's playing...more in a few months probably.
Average player wage is 370k now after 20% increase last year.

You’d reckon he’d easily be top 10 in our BandF at the moment and we have the best list in the competition so that has to be a very good bargaining point for Short ‘s management.

I know he’s only performed at this level for just over half a season but his earning potential could climb even further before the years out, if he plays finals, gets named in AA squad, etc

What a load of ******* shit. He doesn't owe the club shit. Regardless of what pick he is selected Richmond considered him to be the best available talent at that pick, which is no different from the guy we picked with our first. But where he was picked is irrelevant, what matters is how hard he has worked to be in the position that he is now. If he has worked harder, trained harder and subsequently become a better player then he deserves to be paid based on those performances and to a certain extent what other clubs are offering him.
No this is a load of crap !

Where he was picked up does matter and if you dont think a Rookie selection is chance given by the club to a player that nobody els wants then you are delusional its not like he was piced at #6 , #18 or #40 where there could have been another club that would have taken him - He effectively took the last seat on the bus that richmond gave him so yeah he should be grateful thats why you always hear of players like Lambert,Foley,Grimes,Castagna being so grateful for the club giving them the 'Chance'

You talk about how he worked his ass off etc etc etc , How about the recognition to the club its coaches and fitness staff and the development that has 'Made' Him the player he is now. Prior to being given a 'Chance' He was a short midfgielder that didnt get enough posessions and lacked awareness and was snubbed my most clubs BUT Richmond took the chance and developed him and gave him a role and a role thats probably the easiest for him to succeed in.

He is not Docherty or Simpson or Laird yet to be setting his price and playing in a weak team with a weak defence , He is playing in a premiership team with the best defence in the league and allowed the time to play so freely.

From the 2014 Rookie draft there would be at most 6-7 players that have made it and playing regular games from 70 selection
Richmond have 3 players getting regular games and Ivan soldo on the verge doing well
Lambert
Castagna
Short

Is this just a coincidence ??? I would say bloody good development when you add in the following year that Callum Moore & Mabior Chol also looking the goods so far.

Think you are under selling what the club has done short

Shorty around 300k start point the way he's playing...more in a few months probably.
I would say $300k x 2 year deal then lets have a look at it, This average wage is $370k business cant be looked at seriously
Try paying 30 players average wage then fit in the stars its players like Short that will take unders to stay so we can afford the Martin,Cotchin,Riewoldt,Caddy,Rance,Prestia,Lynch,Rioli,Vlastuin type players and i would say the club has probably offered him something like
$200k + Bonuses for b/f , Games etc

FREMANTLE YOUNGSTER CERRA PROVIDES UPDATE ON HIS CONTRACT SITUATION

Promising Fremantle youngster Adam Cerra says he is sticking to his commitment of putting contract talks on hold until the end of the season.

Cerra is out of contract at the end of 2019, with the Dockers eager to tie down the 18-year-old to a new long-term deal after taking him at pick five in the 2017 draft.

While he hasn’t extended his stay yet, the midfielder revealed he is “loving it” at Freo and has praised the club’s support in helping him adjust to life in Western Australia after moving from Victoria.

“At the start of the year I made a commitment that I would play out my first season, focus on footy, then worry about contracts once the games are over,” Cerra told SEN’s Time On.

“I haven’t looked too much into it, to be honest. But at the end of the season, it will be something I’ll definitely sit down and talk about and look to do for my future.

“At the moment I’m loving Freo, loving WA and just want to focus on footy at the moment.

“The whole playing group is really supportive. I came over here with the likes of Tom North and Andy Brayshaw who I’ve played with previously so I’m not the only one doing it.

“There’s plenty of support networks here for me, I’m loving it, enjoying it and just looking to play some really successful footy.”

Cerra was awarded the Rising Star nomination for Round 16 after collecting 23 disposals in Fremantle’s loss to Melbourne.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07...ra-provides-update-on-his-contract-situation/

Average player wage is 370k now after 20% increase last year.

You’d reckon he’d easily be top 10 in our BandF at the moment and we have the best list in the competition so that has to be a very good bargaining point for Short ‘s management.

I know he’s only performed at this level for just over half a season but his earning potential could climb even further before the years out, if he plays finals, gets named in AA squad, etc

One needs to consider the average may or may not be 370K but it would be inflated by the bigger contracts say Franklin and so forth on a million plus so most do not get 370K.

So the median player wage might only be 300K or even less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FREMANTLE YOUNGSTER CERRA PROVIDES UPDATE ON HIS CONTRACT SITUATION

Promising Fremantle youngster Adam Cerra says he is sticking to his commitment of putting contract talks on hold until the end of the season.

Cerra is out of contract at the end of 2019, with the Dockers eager to tie down the 18-year-old to a new long-term deal after taking him at pick five in the 2017 draft.

While he hasn’t extended his stay yet, the midfielder revealed he is “loving it” at Freo and has praised the club’s support in helping him adjust to life in Western Australia after moving from Victoria.

“At the start of the year I made a commitment that I would play out my first season, focus on footy, then worry about contracts once the games are over,” Cerra told SEN’s Time On.

“I haven’t looked too much into it, to be honest. But at the end of the season, it will be something I’ll definitely sit down and talk about and look to do for my future.

“At the moment I’m loving Freo, loving WA and just want to focus on footy at the moment.

“The whole playing group is really supportive. I came over here with the likes of Tom North and Andy Brayshaw who I’ve played with previously so I’m not the only one doing it.

“There’s plenty of support networks here for me, I’m loving it, enjoying it and just looking to play some really successful footy.”

Cerra was awarded the Rising Star nomination for Round 16 after collecting 23 disposals in Fremantle’s loss to Melbourne.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07...ra-provides-update-on-his-contract-situation/
Can't believe we've reached the point where a guy who isnt out of contract is newsworthy because he hasn't resigned. Too many media knobs imo

Can't believe we've reached the point where a guy who isnt out of contract is newsworthy because he hasn't resigned. Too many media knobs imo
Especially a kid that’s only in his first year and isn’t out of contract until the end of 2019. If he still hasn’t signed by September next year, then talk about it! :huh:

About time someone actually stayed at that club lol
They finally got some good news, can’t begrudge them that, they’ve had an absolutely shitful year.

Though I do wonder, by any chance did a certain Vic club offer him a multi-million dollar deal? :D

5 years for a 29 year old who has struggled with a foot injury this year?

Boy oh boy, woweeeee

yeah i reckon they have over shot the number of years on that one.

probably had to though to keep him in Adelaide. Assuming the other offers were maybe 2-3 year deals. extra 2 years of security at that age is huge.

yeah i reckon they have over shot the number of years on that one.

probably had to though to keep him in Adelaide. Assuming the other offers were maybe 2-3 year deals. extra 2 years of security at that age is huge.
Exactly, it's the only way they were gonna keep him. Sloane and his manager played it perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back