List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Images have surfaced of the pen used by Rory Sloane when he inked his new deal with the Crows.

View attachment 525847

That's a classic.Did you hear the crows don't want the Adelaide crows personalised plates for their cars they want the tigers one to be shipped over the border.

Think a system of draft/trade with VFL/SANFL/WAFL players etc could work but also potentially messy.

I guess given the lists of 2nd tier clubs are a bit more fluid anyway it could be made to work.

Would be good for injury cover and also good for players looking to make a name for themselves after some good state level performances.

Edit: would probably work better as a loan system for the remainder of the season. Then maybe priority access to the player next draft or something if they wanted a full time move?

The logistics dont make sense mid year. Move a player from the wafl interstate half way through the year? Move a player from an afl team to another state? What about their families in the middle of school and work?

Take focus off teams pushing for or in the top 4 of playing consistent footy?

This is why you have list planning and builiding. Good depth highlights good management. Good injury management is critical. But sometimes you just get a little unlucky.

Really dont like the idea

Personally i hate the idea, It can only hurt Grass roots clubs & cost them Premierships which some probably need to be able to survive. it'd also remove good list management as an asset to Clubs who do it well. Clubs have 44 odd players so need to be able to manage that as best they can.
Personally a change i'd make is that Free agency is only for delisted players. As great as it is that the system allows us to potentially snare Lynch at the end of the season all it does is make the gap between us & the bottom Clubs (GC obviously being one of them) much bigger & undoes all of the "equalisation" stuff the AFL has tried to even up the comp.

Personally i hate the idea, It can only hurt Grass roots clubs & cost them Premierships which some probably need to be able to survive. it'd also remove good list management as an asset to Clubs who do it well. Clubs have 44 odd players so need to be able to manage that as best they can.
Personally a change i'd make is that Free agency is only for delisted players. As great as it is that the system allows us to potentially snare Lynch at the end of the season all it does is make the gap between us & the bottom Clubs (GC obviously being one of them) much bigger & undoes all of the "equalisation" stuff the AFL has tried to even up the comp.
Agree.But the afl have no choice in regards to FA.No FA means players will take the afl too court.

Chucking this one out there. It won’t happend and I would hate to lose any of the three players I mention but...

Jayden Short, Shai Bolton, Corey Ellis and Pick 18

To Carlton

For Pick #1 and a 4th round pick.

Enter Sam Walsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** me you amaze me. Three years ago when Ben Lennon was at odds with signing a new contract, you abused him and said he hadn't done anything to deserve that type of contract and he was just potential based on a pick. But fast forward to now where a rookie pick with runs on the board and one of the better rebounding defenders in the competition and here you're still demanding he re-signs for less than his worth and that how dare he ask for more money than the club would like to give him. Which one is it? Do we only pay our players good money if they're high picks or do we pay them on their output?

Well done to our coaching and fitness staff on doing their jobs. Im sure their bank accounts reflect that.

Doesn't matter who the **** he is and how much others earn, all that matters is how much other clubs and our club value him at. If Sydney value him at 450k, Carlton at 500k and Richmond at 300k. Then it is up to Richmond and Short to meet somewhere it the middle and if that can't be done then explore a trade. Shorts value is determined on what offers clubs are prepared to pay him based on his performances for Richmond and he is within his right to ask for more from Richmond if clubs are offering him more than what Richmond is. Also just because he is allowed play a free role doesn't devalue him, it the same role 17 other clubs in the league would have him playing and he do a better job of it for most those teams then the guys that they currently have playing the role.

Do you know what Lambert, Castagna and Short all have in common? They are three of the hardest workers at the club. During preseason they are regularly top of the testing and always come back in better shape then they finished the season. That allows them to push themselves even further and aren't playing catch up. A big reason for the why club has turned the corner is we started drafting these types who are naturally fit and strong but also very hard working instead of relying on more naturally talented kids who may or may not be prepared to work hard. Far easier to develop players who want to be developed rather than players who are simply happy to make it on to an AFL list.

If Carlton want to give Short 500K what would they give RFC in a trade in terms of draft picks?

Excuse the intrusion. Congratulations on ur flag in 17 and you guys are the benchmark this year. Q. Has Jacob Townsend resigned???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He hasnt re-signed yet, likely waiting to see whats left after we have a crack at Tom Lynch, id hate to lose Towner infact id like him back in the side for September bringing the ball to ground

Its easy to sling shit at Adelaide, but Rory Sloane is a CHAMPION of the game and that club. He's still got a lot left in him and is the kind of guy that wouldnt have signed for 5 years had he not thought he still has that much in him. He has plenty of good football in him and l'd much rather him see out being a one-club player, because he strikes me as someone that is respectful for his club and the opportunities they have given him.
Adelaide will be alright on this. They may have overpaid on annual salary, but it would sit well with me knowing that if you are going to 'over-extend' yourself on one player... a champion like Rory is ok. I'd hate to see him in a Hawthorn guernsey.
And... i think the crows, even if they lose a few, will bounce back quickly with the draft picks theyve got. So, Rory has just as much chance of winning a flag with Crows than any other club.
Agree 100%
Sloan is the heart and soul of that club, not their Bogan captain. In fact I reckon they should urge Tex to stand down after this disastrous year. His fake bravado will never help them be their best. Need someone level headed and with natural confidence.
Lose Sloan and they’d be in a real spiral

Chucking this one out there. It won’t happend and I would hate to lose any of the three players I mention but...

Jayden Short, Shai Bolton, Corey Ellis and Pick 18

To Carlton

For Pick #1 and a 4th round pick.

Enter Sam Walsh.

Jesus that's over paying IMO

I’m confused by the salary cap.

The salary cap is 12.6m but the average salary is 371k

12.6m/371k is about 34. There’s a minimum of 38 players on an AFL list + rookies. It doesn’t specify if rookies are included either.

So where does this extra money come from for the average?

I’m confused by the salary cap.

The salary cap is 12.6m but the average salary is 371k

12.6m/371k is about 34. There’s a minimum of 38 players on an AFL list + rookies. It doesn’t specify if rookies are included either.

So where does this extra money come from for the average?
Puma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back