Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Gaff spent more time running through the middle in our last month or so and his contribution was his best all year. Maybe it was his head knock or something but simmo was reluctant to push into the middle before that. He spent a lot more time in the middle in 2015 and was our best mid. I think he needs to spend more time in the middle next year.

Yeah, I noticed he did too, but he was ineffective. He had a vastly improved last 3 or 4 weeks, but not as a contested ball winner. His strength is on the outside and that is where he shone. Gaff at least tries. He really has a crack, but he just doesn't have the strength or the nous to win it in the clinches, and he isn't that quick with his hands. I can't remember which game (maybe the final), but there was a Centre bounce where Gaff, Priddis and I think Masten were in... I just shook my head. Priddis got blocked and they waltzed out with the ball with barely a finger laid on them. I think we'd just scored so it was a crucial one to try and win. It was laughable really.

sorry to intrude, but was just wondering who you guys think you will take with your first rounder?

IMO Griffin Logue is a decent chance to be taken there and would give you one of the best backlines in the comp in 10 years. He can be played just about anywhere else on the ground aswell.

Logue, Barrass and McGovern will be crazy good
Those 3 would see a lot of the ball down there too given our poor midfield.

I'd be thinking we'll take the best available mid, whoever that may be...

Without reading the last 262 pages, can anyone confirm if we are still looking for big bodied midfielders?
Actually only half of us think so.

Others here think "its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."

Personally I want both, a big mid with lots of mongrel in him.

Need a big bodied midfielder but still have pace , SPP ticks quite a few boxes for mine . Cannot see WCE not taking him especially as Powell-Pepper played within the Eagles EP system .

He actually does look like he has a bit of mongrel about him and can win his own ball. Doesn't need to put it lace out to Kennedy every time - as long as he can hit a handball to Duggan/sheed/gaff they can do the rest. Let's not forget that cuz and juddy weren't the best kicks, but could get their own ball. If he can bust lines like shuey (and not snort them like yeo) then he looks a good pick with no flight risk

He actually does look like he has a bit of mongrel about him and can win his own ball. Doesn't need to put it lace out to Kennedy every time - as long as he can hit a handball to Duggan/sheed/gaff they can do the rest. Let's not forget that cuz and juddy weren't the best kicks, but could get their own ball. If he can bust lines like shuey (and not snort them like yeo) then he looks a good pick with no flight risk
Does he remind you of Dustin Martin too? See vid I posted back a page or 2.

I think the club did the right thing with Alec. In that article it stated that alec tried to do too much and it worsned his his condition.
I think a year out of the system with no pressure at all is what he needs. If he does good again then he will be picked up. If he was on our list he was still feel pressured and i don't think thats what he needs.

I think the club did the right thing with Alec. In that article it stated that alec tried to do too much and it worsned his his condition.
I think a year out of the system with no pressure at all is what he needs. If he does good again then he will be picked up. If he was on our list he was still feel pressured and i don't think thats what he needs.
Simpson pulls Alec aside.

"Mate, no pressure on you, you still have a spot on our rookie list so just get yourself back playing and happy, you'll be all good."

Issue sorted. I think there's more pressure on him to perform to win a spot back.

Cuz was a fantastic kick on both feet.

"Mate, no pressure on you, you still have a spot on our rookie list so just get yourself back playing and happy, you'll be all good."

Issue sorted. I think there's more pressure on him to perform to win a spot back.
i think think alec felt more pressure than he thought he had (especially early days)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think think alec felt more pressure than he thought he had (especially early days)
Jake's statement that Alec took it too easy and drank too much seems to refute this.

Meh, a matter of perspective on something neither of us really knows anything about. Hopefully Alec comes back in time.

Jake's statement that Alec took it too easy and drank too much seems to refute this.

Meh, a matter of perspective on something neither of us really knows anything about. Hopefully Alec comes back in time.
i refering to the bit when he tried to do too much when he worst got sick and it worsned.
A lot of the best inside mids in the game have average kicks. Dangerfield, Fyfe, Priddis and etc are all average. If SPP becomes an inside mid that issue might not be a huge problem. I can't remember who said it but someone earlier in the year said that SPP might not transition into a full time mid at AFL. AS a flanker bad kicking is a liability.

I overheard a different conversation.

Alec to Simmo
"So a rookie spot will see me playing East Perth reserves and best case league in 2017. Let me think this over.

How about you help me here and let me go back to Claremont. That will get me in a great club with a real opportunity to shine. No pressure. No more Royals Blockheads. A real chance to be AFL ready in 2018. Thanks for the rookie spot but no thanks. Go Monts!!!!!

re - Alec waterman .

No one bid on him as a father and son .
We picked him with our last pick in the national draft .

If he wasn't a father son would we have even picked him ? surely not in the national draft .

He would have been a rookie at best .
2 seasons with almost no output and a lingering illness hanging over him pretty much stopping him from another pre season .

He also wasn't that fit in the first place .

Easy to see why he was delisted

Do people think we should treat father sons different to our other recruits ?

re - Alec waterman .

If he wasn't a father son would we have even picked him ? surely not in the national draft .

2 seasons with almost no output and a lingering illness hanging over him pretty much stopping him from another pre season .

I don't think it's that, I think people were hoping he'd turn into a good player (and before he got sick he was looking pretty good). I'm just disappointed we didn't give him another year to get right and see what happens considering all the spuds and injured players we've kept on the rookie list and even the main list over the years.

I don't think it's that, I think people were hoping he'd turn into a good player (and before he got sick he was looking pretty good). I'm just disappointed we didn't give him another year to get right and see what happens considering all the spuds and injured players we've kept on the rookie list and even the main list over the years.
I agree we keep spuds on our list too long but we also cut guys like maginness and Powell who in Powells case haf a much better body of work behind him before delisting .
It's not like waterman is being hard done by he isn't even able to do any running atm .
If he gets his fitness back to the elite level required we can always draft him again .

We were pretty harsh on the delistings adamson and co. Obviously there is a plan in place so i dont mind. also who said J riewoldt is up for trade and to where?

re - Alec waterman .

He seemed to me to be playing well at EP particularly for a kid. I could have seen him transitioning to the AFL if he hadn't been struck down by illness.
On the other hand, the club can't keep a player on it's books who's unable to get on the park.
I don't think he was anywhere near as poor a player as you suggest.

I agree we keep spuds on our list too long but we also cut guys like maginness and Powell who in Powells case haf a much better body of work behind him before delisting .
It's not like waterman is being hard done by he isn't even able to do any running atm .
If he gets his fitness back to the elite level required we can always draft him again .
Each to their own I guess, I had Waterman pegged as a potential best 22 player so I think he was worth persisting with, Powell and Maginness never really showed that much imo.
But like you say, hopefully he comes good and we re-draft him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back