Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seemed to me to be playing well at EP particularly for a kid. I could have seen him transitioning to the AFL if he hadn't been struck down by illness.
On the other hand, the club can't keep a player on it's books who's unable to get on the park.
I don't think he was anywhere near as poor a player as you suggest.
Waterman still couldn't run out a game at league level before his glandular fever .
For his position he needs to be able to run all day to get to every contest .
For a guy who wasn't that gifted in endurance running it will take him at least a couple of years AFTER he gets over his cronic fatigue to get back to required level .

Jake's statement that Alec took it too easy and drank too much seems to refute this.

Meh, a matter of perspective on something neither of us really knows anything about. Hopefully Alec comes back in time.
I think the alcohol and taking it easy was probably before he'd been drafted which makes sense as Alec had a fair bit of puppy fat on him early days

He did slim down and again from what jake said it sounded like he pushed himself really hard to the point where he was on the verge of senior selection but also physical collapse - rather than back off because he wasn't feeling well he kept pushing and broke down

The lesson Jake has learned is that he's trying to do everything right now do that he's already prepared when he does get drafted. And not to take anything for granted because he's seen how it can all turn to shit. Possibly also why he's downplaying going to the Eagles because perhaps Alec slacked off knowing he was going to be taken by us, Jake maybe wanting to make sure he does his best to earn a selection no matter who it is

Maybe I'm just overthinking it all

Clem wasn't good as a 17 year old, he was more dominant at U16 level.

He was ineffectual and lazy through all his colts football. All another year did was expose inherit flaws in his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Made the u18 All Australian team ?

Was only one of two underage players that did

So must of been OK as a 17 year old ?

re - Alec waterman .

No one bid on him as a father and son .
We picked him with our last pick in the national draft .

If he wasn't a father son would we have even picked him ? surely not in the national draft .

He was being talked about as a top prospect at the start of his draft year, it was a surprise that no one bid on him. We thought we were getting a bargain.

The old adage, a good big player will always beat a good small player

I remember about 5 years ago asking Bond007 why the Eagles drafted Swift instead of Walters.

He said something very similar. Basically in a contest the bigger guy would beat the smaller guy.

That wasn't a great example in the end.:oops::'(

you can't deny Stevens would be handy for us now. could conceivably be in the dogs' best 22, which would easily place him in ours. he always killed the wafl, week in, week out. always had very good number for east Fremantle. something absolutely none of our current depth players are capable of doing. he never got a look in, and for what? to let priddis be an average campaigner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stevens is about to leave the Dogs for Essendon because he can no longer get a game at the kennel. Younger and better players went past him in the pecking order, so maybe it was just a case of he isn't that good and Priddis didn't hold him back?

Ebert plays on the wing and outside at Port, he hasn't been able to crack their centre square rotation. He's playing a similar role to what he was with us just further up the ground, again Priddis had no bearing at this at his new club.

Priddis shouldn't be blamed for the failings of others, if they were good enough they wouldn't be facing the same issues at their new home.

Last edited:
I remember about 5 years ago asking Bond007 why the Eagles drafted Swift instead of Walters.

He said something very similar. Basically in a contest the bigger guy would beat the smaller guy.

That wasn't a great example in the end.:oops::'(
both must be of equal goodness I guess for the adage to ring true

Swift was an U16 aberration

Guys, I understand all the talk about Powell-Pepper, because he's a strong contested ball winner and has an exciting athletic build to match, but if you look at any draft profiles, even on the main board, pick 12 is a massive reach. There's so much top end midfield talent that are much better rounded with better decision-making and kicking skills. I understand his benefits match what we lack, but we'd be so much better trading down the draft and getting him with a later pick. I'm certain he won't go top 20. Might not slip all the way to our second but is a chance.

If we want him I think we'd want a pick in the mid twenties. It's also great that he's from WA, but I'd honestly much prefer players like Scrimshaw, Florent and Berry around 12. Berry in particular stands out for me, and that was even before his combine efforts, which were rated the best out of all players. He was highly rated going into the year, dropped off as he didn't seem to be progressing as much as others and hadn't pushed into the midfield and demonstrated the abilities required in the contest, but built some really strong form with some fantastic games later in the year. He's rated an extremely high character (think Duggan), which we seem to like, has great ball use, can find the pill, and has a good balanced inside-outside game. He seems to fit the bill for our drafting and would be stoked with his selection.

I'm on board the PP train, but IMO there's better value with pick 12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, I understand all the talk about Powell-Pepper, because he's a strong contested ball winner and has an exciting athletic build to match, but if you look at any draft profiles, even on the main board, pick 12 is a massive reach. There's so much top end midfield talent that are much better rounded with better decision-making and kicking skills. I understand his benefits match what we lack, but we'd be so much better trading down the draft and getting him with a later pick. I'm certain he won't go top 20. Might not slip all the way to our second but is a chance.

If we want him I think we'd want a pick in the mid twenties. It's also great that he's from WA, but I'd honestly much prefer players like Scrimshaw, Florent and Berry around 12. Berry in particular stands out for me, and that was even before his combine efforts, which were rated the best out of all players. He was highly rated going into the year, dropped off as he didn't seem to be progressing as much as others and hadn't pushed into the midfield and demonstrated the abilities required in the contest, but built some really strong form with some fantastic games later in the year. He's rated an extremely high character (think Duggan), which we seem to like, has great ball use, can find the pill, and has a good balanced inside-outside game. He seems to fit the bill for our drafting and would be stoked with his selection.

I'm on board the PP train, but IMO there's better value with pick 12.
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/17750260/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october Knightmare is pretty good

Would take Minson over Petrie in a heartbeat as the stop gap solution.

Minson is still ok, he just fell out of favour with Beveridge for some reason.

Would take Minson over Petrie in a heartbeat as the stop gap solution.

Minson is still ok, he just fell out of favour with Beveridge for some reason.

Exactly. His body is sound and can still perform.

Had a few unfortunate incidents with the some of his sledges, but if people want fight in our draftees, he'll have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back