List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Submission = rattling your tin ?

I believe we said we won't be asking for assistance this year . If we are terrible next year the new CEO might see things differently.

Unfortunately for eagles is we don't get academy or highly rated father son concessions so we will have to find another way .

Building through the draft also doesn't seem freezable when you 2nd rounder ends up pick 30 in the draft
I'm also against asking for picks but we had an "expansion team bad season" and if we finished last again with only 2-4 wins we need to ask for assistance

Pick 28 is ridiculous for a team this bad. We should be talking to the AFL - even if they ask for access to NGA or 2 end of 1st round picks

I know he played for and captained Vic Country, and I believe he and HR are good mates - but I do like to chuckle at the insinuation that a ‘country kid’ from the small rural enclave of ‘Edithvale or Aspendale’ will help us overcome the Melbourne metro mummies boys go home factor.

Especially present in those bayside mummies boys from the Sandringham area/region.

(As context, Edithvale is the same distance from Sandringham as it is from Dandenong where DeMattia played).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reid has mentioned that the move West would be made easier if one or more of his Vic Country teammates came across with him.

I suppose with all the inner Melbourne private schools they need to draw the “metro” border somewhere… but Aspendale is definitely not country. 10mins from Moorabbin so no doubt the Saints are keen on him

Reid has mentioned that the move West would be made easier if one or more of his Vic Country teammates came across with him.

I suppose with all the inner Melbourne private schools they need to draw the “metro” border somewhere… but Aspendale is definitely not country. 10mins from Moorabbin so no doubt the Saints are keen on him
Basically the same distance from Melb CBD as Joondalup is from Perth. And more built up. Pretty hilarious what they consider country sometimes

Are there many examples of players who have drastically changed their attributes after drafting?
Only on my mind because he keeps banging on about it, and i don't know how good he was as a #1 key back, outside of that 1 game in 2018, but running bouncing half back flank schofield, to the guy who did drills on JJK. Does that kind of thing happen much?
Schoey didn't have to be that lock down key defender for the first half of his career . He had Eric Makenzie and mitch Brown as big key back then along came McGovern.

He was then forced to become that lock down defender later in his career with lack of other options and bulked up considerably to play that role .

He was always tall enough just focused on running early in his career then strength later when required

I'm also against asking for picks but we had an "expansion team bad season" and if we finished last again with only 2-4 wins we need to ask for assistance

Pick 28 is ridiculous for a team this bad. We should be talking to the AFL - even if they ask for access to NGA or 2 end of 1st round picks
Looks like if we want collard our own NGA we will have to pay overs in a trade up to get him .

It would be a massive **** you to the afl if we traded our future 2nd and future 3rd to get our own NGA .

Most clubs get a 20% discount west coast get 20% loading

For sure. Boundaries are historic (and they probably can’t change them for fear of making metro too strong).

It’s a bit of connect the dots, but DeMattia would have played with Culley at Dandenong, and Reid at VC. Reid played with Long at Bendigo, Long played with Burgiel at VC. Burgiel played with Maric at GP. Chesser no doubt has some crossover with VC.

We have a good group of ‘country’ vics (Maric and Culley are metro area or borderline as well) and Reid (and hopefully DeMattia) would add to that.

Schoey didn't have to be that lock down key defender for the first half of his career . He had Eric Makenzie and mitch Brown as big key back then along came McGovern.

He was then forced to become that lock down defender later in his career with lack of other options and bulked up considerably to play that role .

He was always tall enough just focused on running early in his career then strength later when required
Oh, i get the reasons required, it just made me curious how many afl footballers could go, " gonna be a this for the 2nd half of my career"
Juddy did it as well. One by necessity, one 50/50 that and opportunity, as jet boy came along as well to be the runner distributor. And shep.
And don't let schoey read this comment as things they both have in common.

Taylor would be my backup option to Buss, hes obviously elite but would be close to the most expensive player in the comp
Sam Taylor is the best full back in the comp at only 24. He is a known quantity compared to Buss who is tracking well but could be anything, even a Sam Taylor? (insert family guy meme)

Taylor would have a high salary but as a FA wouldn’t cost us any picks which are like gold in a rebuild. He would allow TB to play Gov’s intercept role for the last couple of years of his career.

Buss would likely cost a teen pick which may suit us if we split our F1 next year, but it may also not suit us if there is a top prospect we like.

Porque no low dos?

I saw someone mention whether TB would consider the Sydney move again next year and if we could leverage Logan McDonald our way in a deal. Not convinced on LMac yet but seems safe as a second tall to Oscar. Would love to cut Freo’s lunch after they continue to meddle in our trades (Brockman/Kelly).

If we lost TB and were able to bring in LMac and Buss, then Sam Taylor the following year as FA when Gov and Darling retire, spine of Oscar/LMac and Buss/Taylor with the young mids and small forwards developing would be elite.

Start of 2026 season we would have swapped
OUT: Gov (33) TB (30) Darling (33)
IN: Taylor (26) Buss (22) LMac (23)
Retain: Oscar (26)

I'm torn on Demattia. Hard to tell if he's going to be more Duggan or if we're lucky a Shuey.
He’s faster than Shuey but doesn’t have the kicking skills. I’m still all in on him, great complement to our mids and if we get him and Reid all we need is a fast outside runner like Windsor and the midfield is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Taylor is the best full back in the comp at only 24. He is a known quantity compared to Buss who is tracking well but could be anything, even a Sam Taylor? (insert family guy meme)

Taylor would have a high salary but as a FA wouldn’t cost us any picks which are like gold in a rebuild. He would allow TB to play Gov’s intercept role for the last couple of years of his career.

Buss would likely cost a teen pick which may suit us if we split our F1 next year, but it may also not suit us if there is a top prospect we like.

Porque no low dos?

I saw someone mention whether TB would consider the Sydney move again next year and if we could leverage Logan McDonald our way in a deal. Not convinced on LMac yet but seems safe as a second tall to Oscar. Would love to cut Freo’s lunch after they continue to meddle in our trades (Brockman/Kelly).

If we lost TB and were able to bring in LMac and Buss, then Sam Taylor the following year as FA when Gov and Darling retire, spine of Oscar/LMac and Buss/Taylor with the young mids and small forwards developing would be elite.

Start of 2026 season we would have swapped
OUT: Gov (33) TB (30) Darling (33)
IN: Taylor (26) Buss (22) LMac (23)
Retain: Oscar (26)
Yeah we definitely don’t want to be caught in a situation where we end up overpaying players in order to meet the minimum salary cap spend. With our lack of star power in that mid 20’s range we need to make sure we grab a couple of A graders over the next year or 2 who justify a big salary or we’ll be in a Gold Coast predicament.

Port going to have 5 list spots to fill in the draft and their first pick is 73 in a weak draft .

I assume they take 3 and look to get some train on players .

Hoping willie has a brain fart and runs away to the NT for a couple of months.

They have 3 main list spots and have committed to upgrading at least one of their rookies already so will be making a maximum of 2 draft selections.

Then the rest in the rookie draft or SSP

Everyone bar maybe Geelong will likely have packed up and gone home
by their first pick. And since they’ve traded their F1 already they can’t use either of their F2 or F3 picks to trade into this draft

Will be beautiful to see them crash in 2024

Yeah we definitely don’t want to be caught in a situation where we end up overpaying players in order to meet the minimum salary cap spend. With our lack of star power in that mid 20’s range we need to make sure we grab a couple of A graders over the next year or 2 who justify a big salary or we’ll be in a Gold Coast predicament.
The thing here that we should do (I believe GCS did a shocking job at) is to front load contracts whilst we have cap space. When it’s time to re-sign 4-5 years worth of elite talent we’ll have plenty of cap space and the ability to accomodate FAs. Like what Essendon did with Ben McKay but we’ll recruit someone who can actually play football and doesn’t belong in the Woolies Fruit and Veg section next to the onions.

Would be the perfect time for pick purchasing to come in.

Or we could look at taking on some salary dump players. I do wonder whether the auto-increase that 16 clubs had in line with the new CBA is more likely to stop or to accelerate salary dumps.

Larger bucket implies that less salary dumps will be required, however the automatic increases in contracts may have some players paid well above where clubs value them (and/or they could get a better player for the same $).

Will be an interesting watch as we haven’t had cap flexibility in quite a while.

He’s faster than Shuey but doesn’t have the kicking skills. I’m still all in on him, great complement to our mids and if we get him and Reid all we need is a fast outside runner like Windsor and the midfield is done.
Is he quicker than Shuey mate? He looks quick but not lightening.

What did boots test in 20m?

Kicking skills don't look as good but he seems to be a good decision maker like boots. I'm hopeful he can improve kicking in the system

Ehhhhh, what about a bust?
You’ve never rated DeMattia, is your knock his disposal or something else? Hard at it, strong, captain/leader in every year he’s played and lightning quick with burst speed. If we can teach him to hit up the first available short option (Masten style) until he improves his kicking I think he would be a great addition?

From four non-WC supporters in a certain nuffie thread on the Drafts board:

why are you trying to troll west coast supporters over multiple threads? your club is considered a joke by everybody who does not support it

Find you a man who cares about you the way North supporters care about West Coast’s picks.

As bad as they were they haven’t been embarrassing the league for the last 4 years nor did they get on their knees begging the AFL for charity picks.

This isn’t the flex you think it is.

Yeah, it's extraordinary another club has been given a heap of priority picks whilst the wooden spooners have been given nothing!

Got to love them firing back on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back