List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Is he quicker than Shuey mate? He looks quick but not lightening.

What did boots test in 20m?

Kicking skills don't look as good but he seems to be a good decision maker like boots. I'm hopeful he can improve kicking in the system
2.92 (boots) vs 2.99 (DeMattia) but Boots lost a bit of his speed early in his career with injury. Boots kicking light years ahead (both feet) and will stay that way. Main problem I’ve identified with DeMattia is he is trying to kick whilst still going full tilt. You watch Shuey and the last couple of steps he slows just a fraction and is so balanced. If we can teach that to DeMattia it would go a huge way to improving his game because a lot of the time he is kicking at speed. He’s not a chip around the back of the square type accumulator

Jaysus, how hard are you lurking that you were onto it that quick!

I accidentally tagged them, so I scrubbed the tag. Obviously not early enough.

KMc is a good egg though.

Jaysus, how hard are you lurking that you were onto it that quick!
Well I was quoted, which brought me here... was confused for a bit as quoted in a different thread.

I have mentioned several times on the trade & drafting board that it's a joke how many priority picks the Roos haven been given & your team have been given buggar all despite struggling for a couple of years & being the current spooners.

No surprise the new AFL exec came from the Roos.

For sure. Boundaries are historic (and they probably can’t change them for fear of making metro too strong).

It’s a bit of connect the dots, but DeMattia would have played with Culley at Dandenong, and Reid at VC. Reid played with Long at Bendigo, Long played with Burgiel at VC. Burgiel played with Maric at GP. Chesser no doubt has some crossover with VC.

We have a good group of ‘country’ vics (Maric and Culley are metro area or borderline as well) and Reid (and hopefully DeMattia) would add to that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maric is from Drouin which I wouldn't call borderline metro at all.

Culley I think is from langwarrin which is a stone throw away from where I live and I don't consider myself in the country lol.

But I think the outer metro suburbs anyhow, the kids appear less attached to the tit.
Sandringham / Brighton area is not all that surprising that the kids can't survive without said tit.

You’ve never rated DeMattia, is your knock his disposal or something else? Hard at it, strong, captain/leader in every year he’s played and lightning quick with burst speed. If we can teach him to hit up the first available short option (Masten style) until he improves his kicking I think he would be a great addition?
No one improves their kicking. Maybe set shots, but by now you either have it or you don't.

I just think he's average & in with the big group 25+ where it's a bit of pot luck.

I think he settles as a rebounding back flanker or pocket but its far from a sure thing as pundits hype up.

Don't forget that there is something like 30 captains across the main 18s comps every year. A bonus feature rather than draftable attribute.

Only BC Duggan can't play any other role. He was drafted as a midfielder.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I disagree. He actually played well at stoppages late in the year when thrown in there. Added some grunt and leadership.

Masten was a bigger letdown than Duggan, but even he played his role very well.

Last edited:
Probably out on a wing. Maybe pressure HFF

You're obviously not a fan? I know what kind of a grudge you can carry when you get something jammed in your craw 😆
Nah nah no black marks haha, just tempered expectations.

I like how he goes hard but on offence just isn't as good as some guys like a Lachie Ash.
Petch does similar things and De Mattia isn't nearly as quick.

I also am harsh in that I want the best in every position.
Masten at #3 played 200 games and a flag. To most that's a win.

I see it as a wasted pick in that he couldn't play anywhere other than wing, wasn't damaging there, and squeaked through as a defensive running role player with the odd highlight.

Also having a better than WAFL guy on your books you are obliged to play him but that then ties up other positions like Lycett, Cox & Naitanui.
Also with Naitanui we had to play a second recognised ruckman which hurt our rotations etc etc

Only BC Duggan can't play any other role. He was drafted as a midfielder.

Nope he was always a HBF who played some minutes in the middle not the other way around

FWIW i think we will see a bit more of duggan in the middle next season as we will need some bigger bodies in there especially if yeo is played back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope he was always a HBF who played some minutes in the middle not the other way around

FWIW i think we will see a bit more of duggan in the middle next season as we will need some bigger bodies in there especially if yeo is played back
No. He was drafted as a mid. It just hasn't happened for him yet!

Draft trumps: Liam Duggan

No one improves their kicking. Maybe set shots, but by now you either have it or you don't.

I just think he's average & in with the big group 25+ where it's a bit of pot luck.

I think he settles as a rebounding back flanker or pocket but its far from a sure thing as pundits hype up.

Don't forget that there is something like 30 captains across the main 18s comps every year. A bonus feature rather than draftable attribute.
Horrible shout. You think an 18 year old who comes into the AFL system can't improve their kicking?

I think a lot of improved skills comes from decision making. The older you get, the longer you are in the system around better coaches etc, the better your decison making gets, therefore the more your kicking will improve.

Hoping to see that come to fruition for Chesser this year. At times this season he looked really rushed and therefore disposal was poor. Another pre season learning the system and more confidence playing against men, I think he will improve his decision making and therefore skills.

Just 11 days to go until Reid is locked and trading is donzo

There will be no trading on draft day. A huge impactful club defining decision is not going to happen last min on the draft day.

That's nonsense

Also if it did believe me eagles hq would be burnt to crisps.

I must say this trade/pick period has been rather peaceful. norf are getting gtfo by every club

The issue is that the right question was asked but the answer was disappointing and no follow up questions asked to clarify.
Find that a lot in the AFL that the media only dig as far as they want or in many cases are allowed.
Tomorrow SEN are interviewing Pert and Goodwin in a 45 min interview hosted by……. Yes you guessed it Garry Lyon.
family guy vomit GIF

Horrible shout. You think an 18 year old who comes into the AFL system can't improve their kicking?

I think a lot of improved skills comes from decision making. The older you get, the longer you are in the system around better coaches etc, the better your decison making gets, therefore the more your kicking will improve.

Hoping to see that come to fruition for Chesser this year. At times this season he looked really rushed and therefore disposal was poor. Another pre season learning the system and more confidence playing against men, I think he will improve his decision making and therefore skills.
Over 10 years yes. You'll be playing ammos by that point though. You need to be serviceable by 20 or you'll never make it.

You'll improve distance by 20% perhaps and also hone your current (flawed) technique but you wont have that natural feel (especially under pressure) of a Mcleod at speed, Hurn accuracy off a kick in or Brad hill weighting inside 50.

For example if you watch a regular Friday night game, how many kicks go over players heads to be spoiled or "arm chopped". I watch commentators froth over Bont as he continually burns easy leads with bullet kicks which are imprecise and hard to mark.
Kicking a drop punt in the vicinity of your teammate isn't impressive- it should be the baseline.

I agree what can be taught is to take a few steps to slow before kicking, or choosing the right option at the right time and is generally noticeable that there's less clangers.

Just 11 days to go until Reid is locked and trading is donzo

There will be no trading on draft day. A huge impactful club defining decision is not going to happen last min on the draft day.

That's nonsense

Also if it did believe me eagles hq would be burnt to crisps.

I must say this trade/pick period has been rather peaceful. norf are getting gtfo by every club
I’m still concerned Brady offers ROB 2,15 and a steak and onion on draft night… I’ll only relax after we call out Harley Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back