List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Can't wait for our trade week to be rated a C- because we kept pick 1 and drafted a 'generational talent' rather than get crafty and accept some fictional trade radio offer that never happened

Hahaha this will so happen, they'll throw in how bitterly disappointed we'd be to miss out on Dev.

Expected trade week analysis
• Didn’t do enough to bring in mature talent to help with the rebuild only landing fringe players Flynn and Brockman
• Robertson turning us down is proof we aren’t a destination club
• Didn’t regenerate our list by trading our players with currency
• Missed the opportunity to fast track the rebuild by holding pick 1 and not bringing in players with multiple early picks

Or if we do eventually trade pick 1
• Didn’t back themselves to draft a generational talent after being spooked by go home fears

Wishful thinking probably, but today’s turn of events should at least quell the conjecture over trading pick 1. Even if it’s only temporary

It might bubble along in the background but over the next week the discussion will gravitate to actual player trades as clubs do their little rituals and posturing

Schultz, Ratugolea, Duursma, Grundy, Adams, Zerk-Thatcher, Chol etc will be the headline acts largely because many of those trades involve some of the more pig headed football managers around the league

Once trade week is over and there’s a reset draft order following player movement I suspect the pick 1 trade will get dusted off again

There is a path to North getting Reid that both clubs can claim as a win and it goes through Melbourne with Curtin as the key piece

Many, not all, posters here would have taken McKercher AND Curtin in lieu of Reid prior to the trade period starting.

We’ve set the price at picks 2 and 3, which North have justifiably baulked at. It’s a high price. Unfortunately for them, their next bargaining chips are a collection of end of 1st rounders plus 15 which whilst good picks land in an area of the draft that’s quite speculative this year. Combining 2, or even 3, of them isn’t as attractive as pick 3

But given the news that between North,Hawthorn and the bulldogs the interest in Curtin has waned or was never there, he could still be available at 6. Which Is Melbourne’s pick and they’re keen on Duursma

North could trade 3 to Melbourne for 6 and 14. Then trade 2 and 6 to us and keep 14

North can say they’ve traded 2 and 3 for 1 and 14 which is better than 2 and 3 for 1. Also 14 and 15 could get North 8 from Geelong so they can then say 2,3,15 for 1 and 8

West Coast can say they got McKercher and Curtin with 2 and 6 which is what they wanted with 2 and 3 anyway

Both sides save face and every goes home happy except for the JTR crew
melissa fumero episode 3 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

So being mid table - how are they getting A grade talent when they keep landing mid table. That has been the problem and why, like this year, they keep topping up with solid players only.
It's really hard. They may jag a player with pick 10, but it's a low percentage play. St Kilda and Essendon have/are doing this, and if you don't have enough top end talent, you have to find it and that's really hard when you don't have top 5 picks. Most flag teams top up - but they either have a solid base of top end already (Selwood, Hawkins, de Goey, Pendles, Sidebottom), or they trade it in (Danger, Cameron), or they F/S it (Daicaii, Moore).

Dons and Saints just don't have enough top end talent, and Dons are drafting in mid range players. Won't work unless they jag some absolute top end stuff from the draft.

Are you now believing The Pieman has revealed his hand and spilled to VIC media?

I would be interested in how you came to this conclusion -
“ West Coast can say they got McKercher and Curtin with 2 and 6 which is what they wanted with 2 and 3 anyway”

He told me today when I bumped into him at Jesters

Thank #$%@ North didn't finish last and get 1+2 when we've had the worst season in living memory.

3 for Mackay, on top of all their end of R1's which push/devalues our start of R2 back this year and likely next, what a joke.
We'd probably get Duursma or Curtin. Not the same, is it?

The only time I was genuinely disappointed all season was round 22 when we beat the Dogs and Norf overtook us. I was negged for a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL at being upset if we trade a F3...
Provided we finish bottom 4, which you'd think is a given, it translates to Pick 39-43 before priorities and bids.

More than fair, I'd think. Somewhere inbetween where Hawks fans and Eagles fans value him.

That would require trading our F1 and I’d rather not do that given there’s a good chance it’ll again be pick 1

Isnt the question what is the best use of pick 1 or 2 in 2024?

And what is the priority for us to use pick 8/10 in 2023?

This 2023 draft is a draft full of talls, quality utilities but few top shelf mids. Its Reid and McKercher then........

2024 is a midfielders draft. First 10 equal to or better pure mids than McKercher I recall reading.

The first 5 ranked mids in 2024 are Vic Metron and Draper from SA. So our preferred mids in 2024 likely drop around 6 to 9. Not at pick 1.

Pick 8/10 in 2023 gets us a O'Sullivan or Murphy.

Pick 7/9 in 2024 lands in our sweet spot.

This 2023 draft is a draft full of talls, quality utilities but few top shelf mids. Its Reid and McKercher then........

2024 is a midfielders draft. First 10 equal to or better pure mids than McKercher.

The first 5 ranked mids in 2024 are Vic Metron and Draper from SA. So our preferred mids in 2024 likely drop around 6 to 9. Not at pick 1.

Correct me if I’m wrong but sounds like you’re suggesting our F1 for a pick 6-10 + F1 coming back that is likely to land in the 6-10 zone again?

Is there any way you see to get Dees, GWS or Cats R1 pick without giving away F1? 21 and F2 have to be on the table, but the only other currency I see is Cats wanting BBW, Dees might have an interest in Jack Darling and Giants we can offer to take Haynes and salary cap relief. Of those three the most likely to accept would be the Cats. Would anyone trade BBW and
21 (AND/OR F2) for 8?

Finn O'Sullivan is Vic Country. Playing for Oakleigh but I think he's from Warnnambool.

If the top WA prospect is not in the top group, I'd suggest we'll draft a VIC or SA kid. And even if we do split, we'd be getting 2 picks. I don't see anyone good enough in the draft apart from Reid, worth coughing up F1. There's no serious KPFs in the top 10 range, and everyone else is flight risk, small forward, KPD etc.

We should just take Reid and then some KPF/KPD types (or maybe Edwards), and maybe Collard after 40.
Then next year, hit up a top 5 mid (unless there's a Walter type at the very pointy end), and then go some KPFs and KPDs with later picks.

Trading F1 is a crazy idea.

Finn O'Sullivan is Vic Country. Playing for Oakleigh but I think he's from Warnnambool.

If the top WA prospect is not in the top group, I'd suggest we'll draft a VIC or SA kid. And even if we do split, we'd be getting 2 picks. I don't see anyone good enough in the draft apart from Reid, worth coughing up F1. There's no serious KPFs in the top 10 range, and everyone else is flight risk, small forward, KPD etc.

We should just take Reid and then some KPF/KPD types (or maybe Edwards), and maybe Collard after 40.
Then next year, hit up a top 5 mid (unless there's a Walter type at the very pointy end), and then go some KPFs and KPDs with later picks.

Trading F1 is a crazy idea.

You say it's crazy, however it seems we are interested in the Cats pick 8.

It's either split pick 1 this year or next years. How else do they trade for pick 8?

And who would we be looking to get with a pick 8/10?

Last edited:

2024 is a midfielders draft. First 10 equal to or better pure mids than McKercher I recall reading.

Time for this board to stop thinking we cannot draft a Vic metro player. Bottom line is we have done very well retaining interstate.

If the next 15 months is going to have convoluted posts about dropping back on the draft board to only get WA or VIC Country players, we might as well fold.

Correct me if I’m wrong but sounds like you’re suggesting our F1 for a pick 6-10 + F1 coming back that is likely to land in the 6-10 zone again?

Is there any way you see to get Dees, GWS or Cats R1 pick without giving away F1? 21 and F2 have to be on the table, but the only other currency I see is Cats wanting BBW, Dees might have an interest in Jack Darling and Giants we can offer to take Haynes and salary cap relief. Of those three the most likely to accept would be the Cats. Would anyone trade BBW and
21 (AND/OR F2) for 8?

From the Cats Draft thread they are saying the club wants to focus on the 2024 draft.

They knew much more about the Cats list and draft goings on than I do obviously.

I am pretty horrified that we’d offer that. We need to be shrewd with our picks and firing off a F3 is pretty flippant and soldier sighted for a player we don’t really need to prioritise, particularly if we’re looking at Collard. 57 as a token gesture of goodwill or walk him to the PSD. The only thing I can possibly think of is that we might have someone else in play for the PSD, but I doubt it.

PSD will always be a last option , we are generally fair traders and a bit too nice when facilitating a trade ..

From the Cats Draft thread they are saying the club wants to focus on the 2024 draft.

They knew much more about the Cats list and draft goings on than I do obviously.
That’s weird cos Mackie said in an interview that they wanted extra picks this year likely 2 seconds atleast…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back