List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Paddy Dow. My understanding is Blues wanted pick 56 from saints but they said no. I’d happily send 58 or F4 to them for Dow. I hope we asked the question after Dev knocked us back.
I thought blues wanted more than a fourth round pick?

Anyways - does Dow want to come to WA when St Kilda are chasing him? Would we offer him what St Kilda are? Do we rate Dow enough want to trade for him?

I think the biggest takeaway is we now have 3 first round picks next year, the question is whether we choose to take those to the draft or use it to lure a name, likely McDonald.
Wouldn’t get too excited, Freo would just pay three first rounders then tank McDonald’s value and send him back to Sydney for a single second rounder in a few years when the next big thing comes along. Next minute, Mcdonald a core cog in the Swans 2028 finals push.

Can’t say old Bell end doesn’t do his best to create excitement for fans at this time of year though. Enjoy!

Based on what the GC list manager said, splitting for anything less than 2 x top 5 picks would be a poor decision given the lack of depth in this particular draft.

While future firsts are handy, I don’t think the club wants to kick the can that far down the road and will be wanting to start to climb this year. They won’t want another embarrassment like this season was.

We’ve added in 2 x best 22 players in Brockman and Flynn, which will increase pressure for spots too, which should flow on to a better performing WAFL club (here’s hoping).

Assume we will take Reid, retain our F1 and look to pick up another mid next year if the top 5-10 look like being something quality.

We need talent. Just take BPA at our respective picks and figure out list composition next offseason.
To be honest we haven't added two best 22 players at all. Williams > Flynn and Cripps/Long/Pet/Jones are all better than brockman.
Added depth to those positions but haven't really made a substantial improvement. At all😒 Hopefully we can get a few games into Barnett if he's in good form rather than cement Flynn in.

But we at least have some bodies in the mix and for the WAFL team which doesn't need floggings every week.

(If we were going to go collard then you'd think he's also in that small fwd/flank mix further pushing Brockman back in the pecking order)

The ace up our sleeve.

The speedy and versatile Gippsland Power product enjoyed a breakout season at NAB League and national under-18s level in 2022, where he averaged almost 22 disposals and kicked 12 goals from nine appearances. Capable of playing as a small forward, high half-forward, through midfield, half-back or on a wing, Burgiel ticks plenty of boxes and his raw pace saw him run the third-fastest 20m sprint time at the AFL Draft Combine (2.88 seconds).

1023502.png

None of those 4 will leave in my opinion. Brayshaw, Serong and Cox are all settled in, only one with any level of doubt is Darcy, and from all reports he loves it in Perth, he's set to sign an extension from all reports.
Alllllll the reports🤨

Footy media are stupid so I hope it's rumors from around the Cockburn arc water cooler.

Gday,

Long time reader, first time poster. Scenario for everyone if Draft pans out as follows:

1. Reid WCE
2. Walters GC
3. Mckercher NM
4. Duursma NM
5. Watson HAW
6. Sanders WB
7. Melbourne
8. GWS
9. Geelong

Curtin is still on the Board what do you think it would take to get one of the next three picks to take him without possibly giving up next years 1st or if we have to swap 1st next year with obviously something else going either way. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts 🤟
Welcome 💛💙,
Quit now while you still have your sanity!

Gday,

Long time reader, first time poster. Scenario for everyone if Draft pans out as follows:

1. Reid WCE
2. Walters GC
3. Mckercher NM
4. Duursma NM
5. Watson HAW
6. Sanders WB
7. Melbourne
8. GWS
9. Geelong

Curtin is still on the Board what do you think it would take to get one of the next three picks to take him without possibly giving up next years 1st or if we have to swap 1st next year with obviously something else going either way. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts 🤟
IMO (and I have been accused of being a hater) I wouldn't draft Curtin.
Hes a bit of a nothing player in that he's no midfielder and not a great CHB.
Think of Jack Watts where he's a fine skillful 3rd tall defender and could play 150 games easily, but not what you sell the house for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought blues wanted more than a fourth round pick?

Anyways - does Dow want to come to WA when St Kilda are chasing him? Would we offer him what St Kilda are? Do we rate Dow enough want to trade for him?
Our F4 probably holds value to them as it’s going to be at the start of the round and they are going to need points next year.
Yes-if coin convincing enough, yes same term and I can’t speak for everyone but he would plug a hold in terms of role and age profile.

IMO (and I have been accused of being a hater) I wouldn't draft Curtin.
Hes a bit of a nothing player in that he's no midfielder and not a great CHB.
Think of Jack Watts where he's a fine skillful 3rd tall defender and could play 150 games easily, but not what you sell the house for.
Busslinger though, there's a bloke you sell the house for!

Now ok

Let's talk someone with some thoughts going on. I will show why Curtin will slide further than here.
In this latest Top 30 Draft picks
5 Daniel Curtin 197cm Utility
6 Ethan Read 200cm Ruckman Athletic Freak Suns Academy. Suns need to bid here or Live Trade here right?
9 Connor Osullivan 198cm Genuine CHB

10 Nate Caddy Goal Kicking Mid. Is higher rated on some draft boards.
11 - Jake Rogers Suns Academy. Very quick and one of the cleanest mids in the Draft. Again another Bid/Live trade scenario.

13 Jordan Croft 200cm Key Fwd
14 Ollie Murphy 200cm CHB Vic Countrys MVP..

Daniel Curtin has told the AFL World he wants to be a midfielder. He has basically thrown his draft position into chaos. Why would you draft him as a CHB? Once all these Bids & Live trades with Suns Academy & other Genuine KPP go through Curtin will slide 15 to 20. Funny thing is Journos are now saying Curtin wont go pick 2 to 4 now. Well when people have a closer look here, they will see Curtin is sliding hard. Where he should be. Reminds me of Ed Allan last yr was a draft bolter into top ten only to be picked at 18/19.
I can not see how Curtin now wanting to be a midfielder can be picked higher than 13 "Shannon Hurn" Guys like Cripps & Fyfe were in this teen range too Big bodied mids. I hope Curtin doesn't Brander himself. Picked to play FF but played everywhere except where he belonged.

Interesting angle.

But yes Curtin by putting himself up as a midfielder adds more complexity to his selection and adds doubts about his best position. As opposed to just going with what we know, he's an outstanding 197cm defender with great skills and leadership qualities.

And yes, there are two very good Vic CHB's mid first round as well.

Maybe why we are sniffing around the Cats 1st pick?

Last edited:
My 2 cents for everyone to have there fun.

Wce F1 for Geel F1 and pick 8
WCE pick 1 and 8 for north picks 2,3

Geelong take the risk that they are trading in for next years first, west coast hope they can finish higher than Geelong and get a steal, essentially then being pick 1 for 2 and 3 which as much as everyone disagrees is a bloody good deal for west coast.

West coast take duursma and curtin this year.

If Geelong don’t agree more than happy with Reid at 1

Geelong take the risk that they are trading in for next years first, west coast hope they can finish higher than Geelong and get a steal, essentially then being pick 1 for 2 and 3 which as much as everyone disagrees is a bloody good deal for west coast.

To paraphrase the old saying of 'Two wrongs don't make a right'.

Two bad swaps don't make a good one.

Well that's one of the worst trade suggestions I've seen recently so you've got that going for you

I think the biggest takeaway is we now have 3 first round picks next year, the question is whether we choose to take those to the draft or use it to lure a name, likely McDonald.

Well draft picks don't lure a player. Culture, opportunity and money does. I have no doubt Fremantle will be trying to lure McDonald home but if he doesn't want to come or does and nominates West Coast, 20 first round picks won't make a difference in the end.

Last edited:

So 2 x potential pick 1s for 2 & 3 and maybe a future 8?

no thanks

and Curtin and Duursma? Yuck

First check in for the day… have we sold off Reid yet? Is it hawks for shit picks and players that they don’t want, or is it for Melbournes pick 28 and 60 and Jeff Garlett… please tell me we are splitting 1 for two picks in the teens so we can access the WA talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back