Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think nobody really understands how the reduced interchange and no sub is going to impact things next year. Players like Masten and Rosa might suddenly become very in vogue...

If we don't get Jetta I am more than comfortable with Masto running around. Another pre-season under our post-Woosha strength and conditioning program will do him the world of good. If we do get Jetta Masten will still be running around, probably at the expense of Duggan.

I think nobody really understands how the reduced interchange and no sub is going to impact things next year. Players like Masten and Rosa might suddenly become very in vogue...

If we don't get Jetta I am more than comfortable with Masto running around. Another pre-season under our post-Woosha strength and conditioning program will do him the world of good. If we do get Jetta Masten will still be running around, probably at the expense of Duggan.
So he'll be the last picked?

Duggan will go past him by mid season at the latest. A full pre season is going to do Duggan a world of good

Well that was aq waste of 15 mins reading the last 10 pages, kind of circle jerk going on.

For what it's worth, I rate Masten, don't rate Selwood, glad we have Redden, don't care if we get Jetta, want to keep Sinkers and know nothing about the Hawk Anderson :)

I thought Masten played a half back role quite often this year. Even if his nominal position was "wing" he certainly pushed back to help the backline in an important link man role more than he pushed forward to kick goals.
Agree 100%. I have said as much too earlier somewhere. In that role, he is very valuable.

Masto no hurt factor? Correct me if I'm blind, but he had what BF universally agrees was a sh*t game against Norf in the prelim, but yet my eyes saw two perfect kicks (one on the left) lead to two goals. That's some hurt with a crap game. Masto's problem is that he can't come in and perform cold.

Contrary to popular opinion he also isn't soft.

I remember one on the left yes to JJK, good 30m left foot chip kick granted but Shuey and even Hill would have more goal assists per game.

Masten isn't awful by any stretch he is a great runner and solid accumulator but he lacks strength, burst speed and depth in his kicking.

Masten rarely gets tagged and it is exactly reason he should impact the game more.

Don't think Anderson will end up at the Eagles.

The difficulty of getting the trade done aside, I doubt we can guarantee him game time without proving himself, and it's a big move to go to a club where he will still be no guarantee. Even more so when You consider there are keen parties in Melbourne.

Think the stars would have to align.
Anderson has what we genuinely lack at WC though, aside from Shuey and Yeo we are desperately short of players who can hit a ruck tap at real speed and accelerate then deliver the ball cleanly to a forward; also a midfielder who can absolutely impact the scoreboard via ground balls when rested forward unlike Yeo who scores mostly from marks.

Look at Hawks and you have Breust, Puopolo, Hill, Smith, Hartung etc. Who can do the above regularly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masten as a fringe selection is a great position to be in. He's a more than handy player. I doubt he'd want to leave and I don't think his trade value would be worthwhile.

Why is this being debated?
Oh come on, him being traded is hardly being debated. His spot in the 22 is and you calling him a fringe player hasn't done anything to help.

By middle I meant midfield rotation. You of course know this and were just being pedantic.

Since when did Masten generate such fanboism?
But he's not part of a midfield rotation. He plays wide of the contest on the wing and links up from half back, and starts about 10-15m off every ball-up and boundary throw-in. He plays the exact opposite role to Selwood. To lump them all together and say they are part of a "midfield rotation" is a very superficial level of analysis.

Anyway, I'm moving on.

But he's not part of a midfield rotation. He plays wide of the contest on the wing and links up from half back, and starts about 10-15m off every ball-up and boundary throw-in. He plays the exact opposite role to Selwood. To lump them all together and say they are part of a "midfield rotation" is a very superficial level of analysis.

Anyway, I'm moving on.
If he starts in the middle third of the ground he is a midfield rotation.

This is sooo boring...somebody make a damn trade already!!! :drunk:

We were spoilt yesterday when there were actually trades put through on the first day - unheard of.

Saying Sheed and Duggan will surpass Masten isn't really having huge expectations. Masters a solid footballer, nothing more
in 2016. Yes it is. Ones in his 2nd year and coming off a major knee injury. The other is in his 3rd coming off a breakout season.

in 2016. Yes it is. Ones in his 2nd year and coming off a major knee injury. The other is in his 3rd coming off a breakout season.
Wouldn't say it was a major knee injury

IMO Sheed has surpassed Masten in his 2nd season, what's to stop Duggan from doing it in his 2nd? If Shee hasnt surpassed Masten, he's very close to

Your all comparing different players in different roles.. Plz stop sheed and masten have different roles within the team and are vastly different players.. If we picked up Jetta that is someone who would take masto spot

Don't really know what your point is? For me it is quite clear that Masten is in the bottom 6 players on our list. I mean regardless of whether duggan or sheed have surpassed him I think the majority of us believe they will and are more important to retain on our list. As Duggan pushes into our 22 this year someone will have to go out and he would be as safe a bet as anyone. Though some would argue Rosa would be below him, Rosa had a much better finals series (though Masten was injured) and can take some contested marks, play half back if need be and is in general a more rounded player in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back