Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baker goes for pick 30 something, takes $650k & then for the next 5 years mows Graham’s lawns for $4k a week. I can’t see any issues with that
If it was Geelong the AFL would demand they give Baker a block of land before signing off but otherwise would work

I don’t like it though, fine compensation for Graham but the Baker trade is way off.

Pick 23 will probably end up being pick 30.

FA compo for Battle and Graham will move it to pick 25. There’s still a couple other FA’s that are a small chance to get compo before pick 25.

Then we have the bid matching circus.

Ashcroft, Lombard & Kako are all but guaranteed to attract a bid before pick 25. Then there is a chance Ben Camporeale, Welsh and Marshall get bids.

In effect the two picks end up late 20s/early 30s while pick 12 ends up being around 15. Baker is worth around 15.
where the number falls its irrelevant, we were never going to get Ashcroft, Lombard & Kako, Ben Camporeale, Welsh and Marshall our pool of players wont change even if pick 23 falls to 30.

I get this and probably agree, but he’s only 26, 2 flags and that’s the player type & history where we are about to get VERY thin.

Been discussed as a future captain in the past, tackles like a bastard, can lace out a kick I50 & is one of the best gut-runners we have. Hardly gonna blow up the cap either.

I can understand why Blair & co would really like him to stay. He’s a potentially important bridge (and a Richmond hero).
hes like tarato and hooper and prestia. slow and turns it over and injury prone. why do we want similar players?

Can’t see how they get us a r1 , no way they flipping 12 , can’t help but think we get cornholed on this one
I've said before, we need to get 6 off GC first as we can use this to upgrade to WC pick 3 with Baker and I think next year's R2 pick. Having pick 3 gives us more power to get the Bears first rounder as we can threaten to bid on Ashcroft with it.
Next year's R2 pick is more valuable than this year with the changed bidding. Gives us a chance to move up again next year.

All part of the grand plan, just making sure that Graham get's us pick 22,, WCE might just have to offer a bit more cash to get us to a band 3 compo deal

Looks like we're gonna play hardball with the 4 that have requested trades but at the right price, especially after what Dunny said in his interview.

TBH I think that Graham is worth more to us than pick 22, he's one than can drive standards and culture, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure that's at odds with most here.
I agree with you that Graham has more value than many on here give him, but I think more value to another team than to us.
I see him as keeping one of our up and coming young players out of the team and he makes us too slow. His position is one we can be rotating the kids through. HF, midfield, bench. That's Graham's role with TT, Hopper long term and Meatball for another year (maybe 2 if he holds up next year, but I hope not really) as our main midfield.

I agree with you that Graham has more value than many on here give him, but I think more value to another team than to us.
I see him as keeping one of our up and coming young players out of the team and he makes us too slow. His position is one we can be rotating the kids through. HF, midfield, bench. That's Graham's role with TT, Hopper long term and Meatball for another year (maybe 2 if he holds up next year, but I hope not really) as our main midfield.

Another way to look at someone like Jack Graham if he stayed at Richmond is he could really help out the young star damaging mids we are likely to pick up in the draft. Graham can focus on defnding opposition mids and keeping pressure on them so the more damaging young players can focus more on just getting the ball and doing damage with it. If you just put a random young talented mid into the role he isn't going to be anywhere near as strong defensively, therefore not such great support for our top talents.

I get this and probably agree, but he’s only 26, 2 flags and that’s the player type & history where we are about to get VERY thin.

Been discussed as a future captain in the past, tackles like a bastard, can lace out a kick I50 & is one of the best gut-runners we have. Hardly gonna blow up the cap either.

I can understand why Blair & co would really like him to stay. He’s a potentially important bridge (and a Richmond hero).
Glad I'm not the only one that can see this.
Question is will he ever get back to this though, that was 3 or more years ago. 21 it hink he had some foot issue, last 2 years it's been soft tissue problems.
Add to that he is or 3/4 slow midfield player.
I hope this is all just to push up his value as unfortunately he will just hold our rebuild back.
We have to bring on the next wave of A grade young talent to get back up to the pointy end.

where the number falls its irrelevant, we were never going to get Ashcroft, Lombard & Kako, Ben Camporeale, Welsh and Marshall our pool of players wont change even if pick 23 falls to 30.
This ☝️ people still don't understand that.

Graham is a wooden spoon special? The guy that won a flag in his 5th game of AFL? Played a pretty impactful role that day too.

Do some commenters on this site have amnesia or something?
I like Graham, but he wad our 5/6 best midfielder in 17 and is still our 5/6 best midfielder.
Look at the 4 better midfielders in 17 to now. I just don't think there is any benefit to him being part of a rebuild as a player on the field, other than some seniority and leadership and that's not worth it IMO

Someone told me he's probably the dumbest player he's ever met in the AFL bubble. When at Port they were doing time trials and Ladhams hat flew off in the wind, he ran back to go get it almost taking out his teammates.

In team meetings he has no idea what they're talking about and is just an all round unintelligent man - and it looks like Sydney learnt that pretty quickly after trading for him - buyers remorse.

Sent from my Pixel 9 using Tapatalk
That is a lol.

I mentioned him a few weeks back. But I don’t want dumb Campaigners at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We definitely understand it. We understand that it means we will get the player rated 30th best rather than 23rd best with that pick.

You couldn’t find a draft where the 29th and 30th best players had more value than Baker. You probably can’t even find a draft where 3 of the players taken between 27 and 32 are at Bakers level. This means in terms of odds we are losing.

We probably won’t even use pick 23 in the draft. If we get two picks before 21 for both Rioli and Bolton, and get Brisbanes first, that’s 7 picks before 23, 8 with Graham compo.

True, but it doesn’t change the fact that we are getting the 30th ranked player not the 23rd ranked player.
So the question is, do you rate Baker at pick 30? That's the player you have to look at in the draft ratings, not pick 23

Can someone please copy and paste?

West Coast would be open to trading its No. 3 pick to Richmond if it secures Liam Baker with all options open as both WA clubs await an official decision on the Tigers vice-captain.
The depth of the draft means the Eagles might be prepared to accept a pick back later in the top 10 if they secure their man.

Richmond’s new chief executive Shane Dunne this week warned rivals it will take something “extraordinary” to drag contracted players Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli out of Punt Rd.

Baker is uncontracted, and while he is leaning towards the Eagles, his management has told the Dockers and West Coast he is yet to come to an official decision.

Liam Baker could net Richmond pick three if he nominates West Coast. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Liam Baker could net Richmond pick three if he nominates West Coast. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images
With quality WA-based talent later in the first round like Bo Allan, the Eagles could be prepared to hand the Tigers a second top-three selection, secure Baker and then still take an early pick.

The Eagles will also secure pick 12 from Hawthorn as part of the Tom Barrass trade, but will also want another selection in this year or next year’s draft.

Hawthorn has made clear to the Eagles it will not play hardball, but West Coast will want more than pick 12 for the contracted premiership defender.

Despite some industry speculation, the Eagles are not particularly interested in uncontracted Hawks’ former top-10 pick Denver Grainger Barras, so at this stage he will not be part of that deal.

As Gold Coast’s Wayne Campbell said this week, the Suns would be fair in their dealings with Rioli, but Dunne has drawn his own line in the sand.

He told the Talking Tigers podcast that because the pair are contracted – although Baker is out of contract – the Tigers could play hard ball.

“Clearly those guys have made their decisions and that is what they want to look at and there are a whole range of reasons for that and we are supportive of that, however they are contracted players and it will take an extraordinary deal to make those moves,” Dunne said.

“We get to work with (the) clubs in WA – and Gold Coast – to make those deals happen. There is still a long time to go, there will be a lot of talk, but we are in control of that.”

West Coast would be open to trading its No. 3 pick to Richmond if it secures Liam Baker with all options open as both WA clubs await an official decision on the Tigers vice-captain.
The depth of the draft means the Eagles might be prepared to accept a pick back later in the top 10 if they secure their man.

Richmond’s new chief executive Shane Dunne this week warned rivals it will take something “extraordinary” to drag contracted players Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli out of Punt Rd.

Baker is uncontracted, and while he is leaning towards the Eagles, his management has told the Dockers and West Coast he is yet to come to an official decision.

With quality WA-based talent later in the first round like Bo Allan, the Eagles could be prepared to hand the Tigers a second top-three selection, secure Baker and then still take an early pick.

The Eagles will also secure pick 12 from Hawthorn as part of the Tom Barrass trade, but will also want another selection in this year or next year’s draft.

Hawthorn has made clear to the Eagles it will not play hardball, but West Coast will want more than pick 12 for the contracted premiership defender.

Despite some industry speculation, the Eagles are not particularly interested in uncontracted Hawks’ former top-10 pick Denver Grainger Barras, so at this stage he will not be part of that deal.

As Gold Coast’s Wayne Campbell said this week, the Suns would be fair in their dealings with Rioli, but Dunne has drawn his own line in the sand.

He told the Talking Tigers podcast that because the pair are contracted – although Baker is out of contract – the Tigers could play hard ball.

“Clearly those guys have made their decisions and that is what they want to look at and there are a whole range of reasons for that and we are supportive of that, however they are contracted players and it will take an extraordinary deal to make those moves,” Dunne said.

“We get to work with (the) clubs in WA – and Gold Coast – to make those deals happen. There is still a long time to go, there will be a lot of talk, but we are in control of that.”
Glorious. Baker and 10 for 3 :thumbsu:

So Baker and pick 10 for pick 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back